Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,750,121 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. As I've noted previously, I have an opportunity to move to China in the fall that I'm most likely going to take. I need an adventure - badly. I have a good friend who's lived in Guangzhou for a few years and is now a higher-up at a language school who will be helping facilitate my move and employment, and up to this point, the plan was that I'd be living in GZ.

However, he messaged me a few days ago and told me that his company has a few good opportunities in Shenzhen. I asked him what he thought of it there, and he admitted that he had only been there for a couple days total meeting with school administrators, and so his knowledge was really sparse. He said that it was cleaner and had better air than GZ, and it felt more "Western" to him.

So, to those of you who are familiar with both, which do you prefer overall, and why? I'm a single guy who will have just turned 30. Some nightlife in terms of bars and whatnot would be great, but I'm largely past the club phase. Does one city have a better arts scene than the other?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:30 AM

16 posts, read 44,909 times
Go to shenzhen, close to HK

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,648,678 times
Guangzhou is more traditional, Shenzhen is more modern. It really depends on your preference. Personally, I always prefer Guangzhou because it's the center of Cantonese culture and cuisine.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Guangzhou is more traditional, Shenzhen is more modern. It really depends on your preference. Personally, I always prefer Guangzhou because it's the center of Cantonese culture and cuisine.
That's good to know. Part of the whole point of my moving to the East is to experience that culture; I don't necessarily want to live in a more "Western" place... I'm already planning on spending as many of my days off as possible visiting some of the ancient towns (Lijiang, Furong, Yongdind, Dali, etc.), and would love to explore more of China's interior when I have extended days off. I've even bought a better DSLR and more optics in anticipation...

Since my friend lives in GZ, I'll probably move there, if nothing else just so that I'm not entirely alone over there.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,378,897 times
I hope you are doing some important research.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHWOK5f1sE

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM

857 posts, read 1,648,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's good to know. Part of the whole point of my moving to the East is to experience that culture; I don't necessarily want to live in a more "Western" place... I'm already planning on spending as many of my days off as possible visiting some of the ancient towns (Lijiang, Furong, Yongdind, Dali, etc.), and would love to explore more of China's interior when I have extended days off. I've even bought a better DSLR and more optics in anticipation...

Since my friend lives in GZ, I'll probably move there, if nothing else just so that I'm not entirely alone over there.
Shenzhen is a relatively new city with most of its residents relocated from other parts of China, that's why Mandarin is the primary language in Shenzhen. Guangzhou, on the other hand, is authentic Cantonese. Both Mandarin and Cantonese are probably equally foreign to you, but Cantonese is what makes Guangdong province special. To fully experience Guangzhou, you have to eat dim sum!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
^ pretty much the same synopsis that my friend and other expat acquaintances over there have said. I'd certainly be open to dating but am not specifically looking to get laid, and also apprehensive about getting involved with a woman who expects that if things are good a few weeks in, we will get married

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM

2,376 posts, read 7,053,182 times
Guangzhou is quite messy and very hard to get a cab, you can spend like an hour waiting for a cab.
What I just like about Guangzhou are the international restaurants ( Indonesian, Turkish, Indian ) that are just all close to eachother.

Shenzhen is cleaner and closer to Hongkong.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I wouldn't put much into this.

I've met tons of expats. He's meeting all 'untrusting' Chinese girls, because he's an untrusty guy.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wouldn't put much into this.

I've met tons of expats. He's meeting all 'untrusting' Chinese girls, because he's an untrusty guy.
Most likely true. I'm confident about my ability to meet decent women pretty much anywhere, because I'm a decent guy with a good BS meter. I tend to lean towards LTR's over flings, and that's the main thing that makes me apprehensive... I'd hate to get super-serious with a girl who had no desire or plans to leave China, when I have no desire or plans to stay there.

And because of that, dating isn't really a very big concern to me. I'm more concerned about the availability of corn flour, black beans, chili powders, and various types of cheese that are stable ingredients of the homemade vegetarian Mexican food that make up the bulk of my diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia