Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times

Advertisements

The company I work for have pretty much a office in every major country in the world and I can easily get a job in any of these locations. Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand or Japan.

If you could choose, where would you live based on:
Cost of living
Acceptance of foreigners
High level of english
Affordable Private/international schools

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
malaysia would be your best bet considering your criteria, but i would personally go with thailand from your list.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
The company I work for have pretty much a office in every major country in the world and I can easily get a job in any of these locations. Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand or Japan.

If you could choose, where would you live based on:
Cost of living
Acceptance of foreigners
High level of english
Affordable Private/international schools

Thanks
Definitely Malaysia.

Malaysia has a low cost of living, and a high level of English. I'd imagine international schools would be very affordable. Acceptance of foreigners - well, I think it's 60% Malay...and about 40% are Chinese or Indian (and probably some others)....so it's much more multi-cultural than others.

Indonesia - More rough around the edges...it sounds like if are looking for int'l schools, than you probably have kids. I wouldn't personally want to raise kids in Indonesia, although I'd love to in Malaysia. Indonesia would have the low cost of living, good english (not as good as Malaysia, but much higher than thailand or japan). But, I feel Indonesia sees foreigners more as ATM machines...and just a more sinister edge to it. Whereas Malaysia feels so absent of those Indonesia negatives.

Thailand - rising cost of living, although still much lower than Japan. High acceptance of foreigners. However, the 'high level of english' is not going to be there. Thai language is very tonal, and a strong thai accent on the english, and very different writing script. Malaysia is so much better than Thailand for 'high level of English'. Plus, I wouldn't personally want to bring a family to Thailand. Way too much prostitution and sex everywhere...which would probably make the wife not feel so comfortable.

Japan - I live in Japan, and I love it here. But the cost of living is way too high, and it's much harder with a family. International schools are very expensive as well. Not much English at all. Pretty much everything is spoken in Japan, and more than half of the Japanese subway maps don't have any English. I think a person has to want to be in Japan, to live in Japan. That's why I'm here. If I didn't like Japan, I wouldn't want to deal with all the other stuff.

In short, MALAYSIA all the way!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 17,285 times
I go along with the others who recommend Malaysia. Indonesia and Thailand are great places, but they're still rising. Japan is a great place, but English is a side dish and the cost of living and international schools are sky-high. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
I have googled lots of info, but if there is anything you could tell me about life in general for a white foreigner in Malaysia....I'd would appreciate it.

TIA

Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 AM

318 posts, read 625,617 times
Yeah, probably Malaysia.

But personally, I'd choose Japan.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Cost of living: Indonesia
Acceptance of foreigners: Malaysia
High level of english: Malaysia
Affordable Private/international schools: Malaysia

Malaysia is probably the place for you.

Where in Indo, though? Jakarta? Bali?

Personally, I would choose Japan or Indonesia. They both have great surf (though Indo is better). In the end, I'd probably go with Japan because it's nearer to places I like in Oceania; Taiwan, HK, Hawaii.

It would be tough to adjust to the culture and language though, not to mention the extremely high cost of living.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
- Japan - I loved it. Great place, PRIOR to the nuke disaster. Now, forget it.

- Indonesia - Too dirty and you will get sick.

- Philippines - Dirty, corrupt, but some nice areas. Everyone understands English, good private schools. I did not really care for it and would never want to live there long term. Too many scams...

- Malaysia - I liked it, some corruption, but as a foreign person you won't have to deal with it. Still has some nice touches from the British days. There is a problem between the Chinese - Malays - Indians - The Malays are generally lazy but control the government. The Chinese make the country work, own the profitable businesses etc...but have to give up a lot to the Malays. The Indians are like the Chinese.

I would go to Malaysia - Good private schools, not too expensive, high level of English, no problem with foreign workers.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Thank you all for your input, it would still be another 10 months until the move would happen if we do go.
I have been looking around the Cyberjaya area.

Could someone from the area that may be on CD tell me if RM 4000 would get me a decent rental house or if I need to get closer to RM 6000.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
send a message to teak, he is a foreigner who owns property in malaysia, I believe he lives there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia