Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

I don't know if China is any more nationalistic than other countries. Some countries, however, like say China or Greece, like to boast about their great age and contributions to civilisation, maybe it's some of that? Some might also want to pay back the Japanese for what happened prior to and during WWII. Never heard of Chinese laughing about 9/11, I'm sure there are some people like that everywhere. In America itself you had some people like WBC celebrating 9/11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
I saw a survey that says the country that hates Japanese the most is Korea, and China is the second.
Japan is the most popular Asian country in the west though.

I think many westerners find Japanese culture fantastic, but Chinese people tend to think "those things were stolen from China" so they only focus on the negative part.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I saw a survey that says the country that hates Japanese the most is Korea, and China is the second.

I think many westerners find Japanese culture fantastic, but Chinese people tend to think "those things were stolen from China" so they only focus on the negative part.
And a big part of that was the Japanese were previously overshadowed by the Chinese as the most visible and established Asian group in the US. The Japanese were basically a bunch of farmers in Washington state and California and otherwise no different from China; then out of nowhere, they're taking over China, which is many times larger, sweeping through the Pacific and bombing our navy with planes that are faster and more nimble than anything we have. This, and the tenacity and viciousness they fought with and the utter submission and cooperation after their defeat, created an enigma that was much more dramatic, dangerous, and intriguing than the chop-suey, Chinatown exposure to Chinese culture that most of the west had.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:04 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
from my experience living in the USA

most Americans HATE the Chinese and are brainwashed into thinking anything from China is junk, Chinese are no good, Chinese are weak, Chinese cheat, Chinese are dirty Commies, Chinese cant fight, Chinese didnt invent anything and they only know how to copy, etc

the nationalism is the same or worse in the USA , also lots of anti China propaganda over here

but they love the Japanese now since they are in control of them and they are no longer a threat

Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
from my experience living in the USA

most Americans HATE the Chinese and are brainwashed into thinking anything from China is junk, Chinese are no good, Chinese are weak, Chinese cheat, Chinese are dirty Commies, Chinese cant fight, Chinese didnt invent anything and they only know how to copy, etc

the nationalism is the same or worse in the USA , also lots of anti China propaganda over here

but they love the Japanese now since they are in control of them and they are no longer a threat
I think that's a bit extreme...

Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Well Chinese invented so many things, they can claim a lot of their inventions were stolen by the West. Like paper, paper money, compass, silk to name a few.

Japanese culture was influenced by Chinese but it's highly distinct and unique in itself. It's as distinct from Chinese culture as British is from French, if not moreso.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well Chinese invented so many things, they can claim a lot of their inventions were stolen by the West. Like paper, paper money, compass, silk to name a few.

Japanese culture was influenced by Chinese but it's highly distinct and unique in itself. It's as distinct from Chinese culture as British is from French, if not moreso.
And I think that's the conclusion that most people will come to if they actually take the time to study both cultures and histories, rather than just sticking to popular talking points about who's got the "superior" culture.

In the World forum, there were a couple threads in which a few British nationals got really into it and basically said that there was no difference between American culture and British culture, and that since British culture came first, it was obviously superior. But then, in different threads, they would lambast American car culture, movies, music, food, politics, military culture, social ills, etc, which effectively validated the notion that the US and England are, indeed, different places and cultures. It's the same as when a Chinese national goes off on a hardcore "Little Japan" tirade and talks about how they "stole" Chinese art, music, religion, language, culture, food, etc... well, if that's the case, then how come now Japanese art, music, religion, language, culture, and food are DISTINCTLY different?

IMHO, unless you walk into a warehouse and literally steal an invention from its inventor, it's not really "stealing." It's just the natural order of things; once it's out there, a useful invention or cultural item is picked up, produced, copied, improved upon, and ultimately evolves into something totally different.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 PM

90 posts, read 203,205 times
Nearly every country in East Asia has problems with nationalism. If anything the U.S. is rather unique in lack of nationalism.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
And I think that's the conclusion that most people will come to if they actually take the time to study both cultures and histories, rather than just sticking to popular talking points about who's got the "superior" culture.

In the World forum, there were a couple threads in which a few British nationals got really into it and basically said that there was no difference between American culture and British culture, and that since British culture came first, it was obviously superior. But then, in different threads, they would lambast American car culture, movies, music, food, politics, military culture, social ills, etc, which effectively validated the notion that the US and England are, indeed, different places and cultures. It's the same as when a Chinese national goes off on a hardcore "Little Japan" tirade and talks about how they "stole" Chinese art, music, religion, language, culture, food, etc... well, if that's the case, then how come now Japanese art, music, religion, language, culture, and food are DISTINCTLY different?

IMHO, unless you walk into a warehouse and literally steal an invention from its inventor, it's not really "stealing." It's just the natural order of things; once it's out there, a useful invention or cultural item is picked up, produced, copied, improved upon, and ultimately evolves into something totally different.
Good points. It's popular to deride American culture and I'm sick of it. America has a rich cultural legacy, Europe or Asia are not the only places with 'real culture.' If you want to get into it how about how the Beatles 'stole' American music (not saying they did, they innovated it in a way that gratified the music world). In the same way, Japan borrowed and adapted, that's been going on for centuries. We could talk about how we borrowed ideas from ancient Greece.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 AM

122 posts, read 171,934 times
What the OP said is unlikly to be true. From the above replies we can see that the Chinese in fact are hospitable and kind-hearted.

Take Japan as an example, many Chinese hate Japan, but not the Japanese people. A Japanese young man lost his bicycle in Wuhan city in central China last year and reported it to the local police, and got help from the media and thousands of local citizens who found his bike within three days.

Can you believe it? This is what the Chinese people did to a person from the country they hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia