U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM

47 posts, read 224,356 times

Advertisements

It's somewhat discomforting to see how extremely nationalistic China is. You have people aching for war with Japan over some non-inhabited islands (although yes I know the Japanese are no better). You had a chinese student who received death threats because of some innocent criticism of her country. And of course on 9/11 you had many chinese cheer because americans were dying.

So have any of you had personal experience with china's extreme nationalism? Have you ever met with hostility for being american, Japanese or whatever.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM

593 posts, read 702,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
It's somewhat discomforting to see how extremely nationalistic China is. You have people aching for war with Japan over some non-inhabited islands (although yes I know the Japanese are no better). You had a chinese student who received death threats because of some innocent criticism of her country. And of course on 9/11 you had many chinese cheer because americans were dying.

So have any of you had personal experience with china's extreme nationalism? Have you ever met with hostility for being american, Japanese or whatever.
I cannot say that I have been met with hostility for being American. And, yes, China does have a nationalistic segment of its population, but so does America and Japan. And in every country, you can find a video of locals laughing at the tragedies of others. As for myself, I tend to be proud to be from Earth and find its political boundaries to be unfortunate.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 14,469,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I cannot say that I have been met with hostility for being American. And, yes, China does have a nationalistic segment of its population, but so does America and Japan. And in every country, you can find a video of locals laughing at the tragedies of others. As for myself, I tend to be proud to be from Earth and find its political boundaries to be unfortunate.
I'm moving over there in a couple months; my friend who's over there and has gotten me a job has been there for a few years now and has said that he's never felt hostility.

I read blogs like Chinasmack and on political entries, they show translated comments that disparage "little Japan" or criticize America, occasionally for things that it has nothing to do with. Simultaneously though, you can look around these forums, especially in the politics section, or go on Youtube or any other internationally-minded venue and find Americans making comments that are absolutely no better at all about China, Mexico, France, the Middle East... basically anywhere. Wherever they're from, the mouthbreathers come out in force when they don't have to attach their name to their words.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM

22,937 posts, read 12,256,324 times
I worked in China and never had a problem with hostility. Maybe you could feel some people were passive aggressive but not open hostility. China has a beef with the Japan over what they did in the past...so there's a segment of the population that would like to pay the Japanese back for past sins.

I think you see the Chinese testing the waters for weakness in Japan, Philippines etc...they want to be the big dog in Asia.

I agree with a few other posters that you hear some crazy comments about China from Americans including from politicians that are irrational and not helpful to political dialogue. IMO, we need to work on our diplomacy skills.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Status: "Peace, order and good government" (set 27 days ago)

6,425 posts, read 5,638,590 times
You don't have to go to China. I can tell how arrogant and racist they are right here in North America. Koreans are just as bad as Chinese.

Its crazy to me how the world turned a blind eye to what the Chinese did in Tibet.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM

10,564 posts, read 14,469,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You don't have to go to China. I can tell how arrogant and racist they are right here in North America. Koreans are just as bad as Chinese.

Its crazy to me how the world turned a blind eye to what the Chinese did in Tibet.
What's happened in Tibet is massively f'ed up, I won't argue that, but by the same token what happened in Iraq this time around was massively f'ed up. In both situations, you have very large segments of the people who don't agree with it, but by god, the governments are gonna get their war one way or the other. You can't blame the individual for what their government does, especially when you're dealing with a country that has a one-party system that does stuff like execute people for non-capital crimes!

I've certainly met arrogant young dudes who are ethnically Chinese or Korean who are dead convinced that they're superior to everyone else on earth by many metrics. And then, you have members of my extended family, who live up in the mountains and don't have anything to do with the rest of American society or its achievements, but they will endlessly tout the superiority of white Americans over everyone else on the face of the earth, although they're losers who can't stand behind their own successes in life. Different dumb sides of the same ignorant coin.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 07-26-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 2,134,624 times
The Chinese I have met have been very warm people. Even with people of other ancestries like myself. I don't think the people of China as much as the CPC are the perpetrators of this nationalism which you speak of.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post

Nationalism is everywhere.

Regarding personal experience of China's extreme nationalism. Well, I've been on the Chinese Mainland about 4-5 times, and no, I can't recall any personal experience whatsoever as a white American person while I was on Chinese soil.

But, they do have a billion plus people, so I'm the chances of someone criticising or not liking something among all billion plus is quite high, so I'd imagine if I looked for it, I'd find it everywhere.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 13 days ago)

36,005 posts, read 36,250,069 times
The Chinese people that I met in China were very proud of their country. On the other hand, they treated American employees who came to China as honored guests. Also I know that Chinese don't like Japanese people because the way Japanese soldiers killed Chinese people during WWII.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,542,838 times
Being an American, I don't think I could stand living in a county with extreme nationalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia