Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

I guess you guys don't realize how racist Asians are.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
According to a Korean friend of mine that I used to work with, Koreans are racist. It's just that simple.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 PM

301 posts, read 521,234 times
It's not just Asians. If you go on the [domain blocked due to spam] forum you will see how racist and backwards many Australians are, it's shocking what they say and how many of them do it. Australia is like Britain was fifty years ago

Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
I am white and married to a Korean, we have now spent more than 1 year living in Korea in total. I will say that open hostility is hardly existent, certainly something I have never experienced. What people say behind your back however might be different.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
It's not just Asians. If you go on the [domain blocked due to spam] forum you will see how racist and backwards many Australians are, it's shocking what they say and how many of them do it. Australia is like Britain was fifty years ago
Hmm well as an English/Australian ( I hold two passports) who spent a few years living in London. I would say their is next to no difference between the uk and Australia as far as racism is concerned.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Hmm well as an English/Australian ( I hold two passports) who spent a few years living in London. I would say their is next to no difference between the uk and Australia as far as racism is concerned.
It's funny it depends who you ask...in fact I was talking to a British girl who's been here a month and she said she was 'shocked' by how racist Australians were compared to the UK. I think it might depend on your experiences...but on the whole I disagree that Australians are very racist or mostly racist. You probably ARE more likely to experience isolated racist incidents here, I can cite dozens...it's just that if you're white you're not likely to experience it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's funny it depends who you ask...in fact I was talking to a British girl who's been here a month and she said she was 'shocked' by how racist Australians were compared to the UK. I think it might depend on your experiences...but on the whole I disagree that Australians are very racist or mostly racist. You probably ARE more likely to experience isolated racist incidents here, I can cite dozens...it's just that if you're white you're not likely to experience it.
The good thing about been white is you often hear what other white people really think about other races. They are not obliged to bottle it in, in the name of political correctness. In my time in London I heard just as much fouled mouthed racism from other whites as I ever have in oz. Maybe Brits are just better at holding it in around non white minorities?

Still my wife loves living in Australia, if she has ever been discriminated against based on race, she certainly has not told me. Everyone's experience is different as you said.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-21-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
I am white and married to a Korean, we have now spent more than 1 year living in Korea in total. I will say that open hostility is hardly existent, certainly something I have never experienced. What people say behind your back however might be different.
A lot of it is perception, too. Some people who are in an interracial relationship think that if someone looks at the two of you with anything but a big, friendly smile, it's because they're passing judgement on you as a couple as being race traitors, weirdos, etc. Not that either hasn't happened to me before, but in most situations where I've been out with a woman of a different race, I didn't perceive most looks we got as being hostile. Even in areas where interracial relationships aren't common, someone looking at the two of you doesn't mean that you're being judged negatively; they could just be looking at you with passive curiosity because you're outside the norm... for instance, visiting relatives in rural areas and going to the store, or while on a road trip through the desert, stuff like that, I think most people were just like, "huh, interesting, don't see that much around here" because they don't, and I didn't really feel anything negative.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
The good thing about been white is you often hear what other white people really think about other races. They are not obliged to bottle it in, in the name of political correctness. In my time in London I heard just as much fouled mouthed racism from other whites as I ever have in oz. Maybe Brits are just better at holding it in around non white minorities?

Still my wife loves living in Australia, if she has ever been discriminated against based on race, she certainly has not told me. Everyone's experience is different as you said.
That is true, although I've actually had people say racist things to me including about Asians, but yes like I overheard two old ladies complaining about immigrants coming in and ruining things for 'real Australians'. I don't doubt there is racism in the UK, it's probably just less in the open.

I wouldn't say I've ever been discriminated against to my knowledge. It's more the name-calling variety.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
A lot of it is perception, too. Some people who are in an interracial relationship think that if someone looks at the two of you with anything but a big, friendly smile, it's because they're passing judgement on you as a couple as being race traitors, weirdos, etc. Not that either hasn't happened to me before, but in most situations where I've been out with a woman of a different race, I didn't perceive most looks we got as being hostile. Even in areas where interracial relationships aren't common, someone looking at the two of you doesn't mean that you're being judged negatively; they could just be looking at you with passive curiosity because you're outside the norm... for instance, visiting relatives in rural areas and going to the store, or while on a road trip through the desert, stuff like that, I think most people were just like, "huh, interesting, don't see that much around here" because they don't, and I didn't really feel anything negative.
Good Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia