Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM

487 posts, read 896,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I'm Asian, born to Asian immigrant parents who immigrated to Australia. I have never eaten a cat or a dog or any sort of Western household pet in my life and I resent the implication that you think most Asians do. Most Asian dishes, even in Asia, do not contain dog or cat meat.

The most exotic meat I've ever tried was lamb.
I mean Asians who actually are native to Asia, *not* second generation Asians. If you've grown up in any Western country (well, except for rural Switzerland), chances are you wouldn't eat kitties or puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
as a vegetarian i eat quinoa, soy, spirulina, hemp seed, amaranth, buckwheat, nuts, beans, milk products for protein. i get plenty of fiber WHICH MEAT DOES NOT CONTAIN from fruits and veggies, as well as antioxidants which meat also DOES NOT CONTAIN.

meat is disgusting.
Aha! Finally, you state your agenda! So, any reason you picked on Asians and their choices of meat, vs. people in your own society? Or are you morally superior to all meat eaters? Maybe you should start a thread on the "World" forum, and be an equal-opportunity basher. And tell us about rural Switzerland.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:36 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times
Quote:
* I don't think eating pigs and other intelligent animals is any more okay than cats and dogs (as a vegetarian), though I know from personal experience they are very loving creatures. Chickens are not very smart, so I find that a little more acceptable.
If you don't like it when dogs/cats are consumed, then it should be the same for cow, beef, chicken, etc too...don't be a hypocrite. Also, the younger generation in Vietnam and S.Korea really don't eat dogs/cats....many have them as pets.

My sister would likely kill me for saying this since she owns four dogs, but the less dogs in the world, the better for me. I'm having to pick up dog crap in my yard every week due to pet owners not picking up their crap, so slaughter away!!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
I grew up in the Philippines and I have never eaten a dog or a cat. It is just disgusting and it's really a taboo for me. I never saw dog or cat meat too. It is not so common in the Philippines. I think the only ones who eat dogs are some men in the lowest class.

I saw a dead dog hanged in a kiosk in Shenzhen China while walking on the sidewalk. It was cut in half, oh it was really gross. My daughter cried when she saw it.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times
People here claiming they never ate or even saw dog/cat meat in their life...
Didn't know this forum had so many meat experts

Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
What would be the advantage of trying to skin a cat alive? Try giving one a bath, then tell me you could skin it alive!
It sounds like you have a hidden agenda, here! Fess up!
Quote:
Because stupid animals are (I'm guessing) experiencing less distress before the slaughter. There's not much difference, you're right. I respect all organisms' right to live, as long as they are not harming anyone else. I don't even kill spiders in my house, but put them outside. Mosquitoes feeding on human blood and spreading disease are an exception. I feel no remorse killing them.

What's especially sick about their practice of eating dogs and cats is that they skin them alive first.

You think choosing to support the mass slaughter and mistreatment of animals for tasting pleasure is just another way of living? I don't. It's ignorant and unfeeling. Not only should people who mindlessly consume meat be judged, but they should be put in their place for their actions. Yes, I look at people who eat animals with disgust.

It's not just about animal cruelty; there are huge environmental implications. The meat industry also contributes greatly to world hunger.

"People go hungry because much of arable land is used to grow feed grain for animals rather than people. In the US, 157 million tons of cereals, legumes and vegetable protein – all suitable for human consumption – is fed to livestock to produce just 28 million tons of animal protein in the form of meat." (http://viva.org.uk/guides/feedtheworld.htm)

Cows in particular produce an amazing amount of methane from their flatulence and dung, which has 20x the warming potential of CO2.

"According to the Water Education Foundation, it takes 2,464 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef in California."
(The Environmental Impact of a Meat-Based Diet | Vegetarian Times)

Eating animals is not fine and dandy. It's sick.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
People here claiming they never ate or even saw dog/cat meat in their life...
Didn't know this forum had so many meat experts
Of course in the Philippines I would surely know how to read what meats they are selling in the grocery as the meats have tags written in English. Also, for sure anyone can tell the taste of meats they are eating like lamb has a very different taste compare to beef. Pork tastes a bit different too. For sure, dogs or cats would taste very different too.

In China, I would buy looking at the pictures Pork and Beef.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
What would be the advantage of trying to skin a cat alive? Try giving one a bath, then tell me you could skin it alive!
It sounds like you have a hidden agenda, here! Fess up!
Okay, I just read that the Asian country skin the cats and dogs alive because they release adrenaline when they are going through that torture, which makes the meat taste better. That is so depraved, and it makes me so incredibly outraged I want to skin them alive themselves. And you people think this is okay? What's wrong with you?

Here's the site that talks about them being skinned alive:
Horrifying Cat & Dog Meat Trade In Asia

Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Okay, I just read that the Asian country skin the cats and dogs alive because they release adrenaline when they are going through that torture, which makes the meat taste better. That is so depraved, and it makes me so incredibly outraged I want to skin them alive themselves. And you people think this is okay? What's wrong with you?

Here's the site that talks about them being skinned alive:
Horrifying Cat & Dog Meat Trade In Asia
My heart bleeds looking at the pictures of the dogs. The writer is wrong. This is not common in the Philippines. I have heard of some men eating dogs but those men are the lowest class and doesn't even apply to every low class men. Probably just the ones who really like exotic foods.

We have 4 dogs in the house ( 2 Labs, 1 Japanese Spitz and 1 Maltese Poodle ) so it's so heartbreaking to see those dogs struggling in the picture.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
If you don't like it when dogs/cats are consumed, then it should be the same for cow, beef, chicken, etc too...don't be a hypocrite. Also, the younger generation in Vietnam and S.Korea really don't eat dogs/cats....many have them as pets.

My sister would likely kill me for saying this since she owns four dogs, but the less dogs in the world, the better for me. I'm having to pick up dog crap in my yard every week due to pet owners not picking up their crap, so slaughter away!!
"Don't be a hypocrite"? I'm vegetarian.

By the way, cow and beef are the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia