Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Of course in the Philippines I would surely know how to read what meats they are selling in the grocery as the meats have tags written in English.

How can you tell what kind of meat it is when it's mixed with some curry/sauce?
Many street vendors and restaurants saying they sell you beef/pork but you never know 100% sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 PM

487 posts, read 896,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aha! Finally, you state your agenda! So, any reason you picked on Asians and their choices of meat, vs. people in your own society? Or are you morally superior to all meat eaters? Maybe you should start a thread on the "World" forum, and be an equal-opportunity basher. And tell us about rural Switzerland.
Hey Ruth, no I do not think meat is okay period as I've already stated. I'm personally curious about whether most Asians eat cats and dogs. I already know most Americans eat pigs, cows, and chickens. I find it especially bad that in China, Korea, and Vietnam they skin and boil them alive. Cats and dogs are especially smart, affectionate, loyal creatures. It's not the same thing as chickens, which are pretty dumb. I read that people eat cats in rural Switzerland. But it's mainly Asians eating cats and dogs. Boy, a lot of repetition here.

If it were human babies instead of dogs and cats we were talking about, would you still have this argument that it's no worse than pigs, cows, and chickens? Humans are animals too. I highly doubt that. It's the emotional connection, in addition to their possessing higher intelligence.

Also, I don't think it's fair to accuse me of 'picking on' Asians. If I was inquiring and protesting about American meat consumption, it would't make much sense to accuse me of 'picking on' Americans.

Last edited by djohanna; 08-03-2013 at 12:24 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How can you tell what kind of meat it is when it's mixed with some curry/sauce?
Many street vendors and restaurants saying they sell you beef/pork but you never know 100% sure.
Lamb has a distinct flavour even when it is mixed with curry.

Most Indian restos only serve Chicken and Lamb. Turkish restos do not serve pork too.

I don't buy in the streets and I do not eat street foods, not that I am picky but to be sure I won't catch Typhoid or E Coli.

I don't eat so much in Chinese restos either to be safe... Besides, I heard dogs are special in China so they say you have to go to specific restos as they cost more.

When you are cooking your own food, you 're more sure of the meat, so most of the time, I cook my own food.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:55 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I'm vegetarian, so eating the flesh of any kind of animal is barbaric, IMHO. I hope the humanity will get rid of this practice in the next centuries, because nobody needs to kill for nourishment purposes. But in particular I think the consumption of rabbit meat is in the same level of atrocity of the consumption of dogs and cats, with the only difference that many european countries, such as France, has many dishes with this. My sister owns a female rabbit and I fell in love in it as I would do if it were a dog.
Take a look at this video. I saw it just now and I am totally shocked.

Seal Shepherd Human Fetus Eating in China - YouTube

Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 AM

90 posts, read 203,205 times
I would have more issues with consumption of apes and other primates in Africa than cats and dogs.

But to answer the question directly dog meat consumption is uncommon and cat meat consumption is very rare in China and Korea. Dog meat was more accepted as a meat years ago but newer generations avoid it. But even then I would say most people has had it once in their life. Cats were never a regular meat in China and only older generations in the south seems to eat it and it is very unlikely you will find someone who has eaten cat meat much less like it.

Anyway with so many people in Asia you will always find some crazy ones. The overall diet in meats eaten however is not that different between the East and West.

p.s. Fun trivia cats were a meat in Japanese cuisine until fairly recently in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Take a look at this video. I saw it just now and I am totally shocked.

Seal Shepherd Human Fetus Eating in China - YouTube
Old

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/hor...ing_babies.htm

That said though I am sure you will find cannibals of every flavor around the world, though most wouldnt film themselves doing it as it is illegal.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM

That video of the man eating the fetus is Zhu Yu, a performance artist. He claimed to have stolen the fetus from a hospital for this "artistic piece". It looks pretty real to me.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
I'm vegetarian, so eating the flesh of any kind of animal is barbaric, IMHO. I hope the humanity will get rid of this practice in the next centuries, because nobody needs to kill for nourishment purposes. But in particular I think the consumption of rabbit meat is in the same level of atrocity of the consumption of dogs and cats, with the only difference that many european countries, such as France, has many dishes with this. My sister owns a female rabbit and I fell in love in it as I would do if it were a dog.
^ yep, I've been a vegetarian for 13 years; I find the thought of eating a cat or dog about as repulsive as eating a chicken, cow, goat, or pig at the end of the day.

It's not a matter of how "smart" the animal is (I don't eat shrimp either, and they're really just aquatic bugs), it's that I just don't feel like I should take another creature's life to preserve my own when I don't have to.

I don't get on anyone's case for eating meat because ultimately it's a personal decision, and I can objectively understand how people compartmentalize "pets" and "livestock" in their mind and that affects how they look at the issue, but at my core, I find it ultimately hypocritical when someone is repulsed to their core by the notion of eating a cat but totally embraces eating a cow.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 08-03-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,314 times
I'm from Philippines and I do not eat dog specially cat lol never and will never try. I don't even eat mutton or lamb.

I only eat chicken, pork, beef, and turkey meat

Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Well I think eating vegetables goes against nature. We are clearly meant to and have evolved eating meat and vegetables. Rabbits can be tasty if cooked properly. I have never bought one though, just killed wild ones, so I don't know if there is a big difference in the taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
as a vegetarian i eat quinoa, soy, spirulina, hemp seed, amaranth, buckwheat, nuts, beans, milk products for protein. i get plenty of fiber WHICH MEAT DOES NOT CONTAIN from fruits and veggies, as well as antioxidants which meat also DOES NOT CONTAIN.

meat is disgusting.
Well there are billions of people that love meat, and meats are nutritiously dense source food, but if you wanna avoid it because you think that some animal cares whether or not it gets killed, by all means go ahead.

Please anyone on a vegetarian diet, or considering one, by all means continue and help start new people down this righteous path. Hopefully enough people will join that the price of Ribeye steaks will drop to $1 a lb and we can all be happy.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Well I think eating vegetables goes against nature. We are clearly meant to and have evolved eating meat and vegetables. Rabbits can be tasty if cooked properly. I have never bought one though, just killed wild ones, so I don't know if there is a big difference in the taste.

Well there are billions of people that love meat, and meats are nutritiously dense source food, but if you wanna avoid it because you think that some animal cares whether or not it gets killed, by all means go ahead.

Please anyone on a vegetarian diet, or considering one, by all means continue and help start new people down this righteous path. Hopefully enough people will join that the price of Ribeye steaks will drop to $1 a lb and we can all be happy.
People like you are why I am so disgusted by the world. You are truly blind and careless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia