Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:37 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times

Advertisements

I've been to all four countries mentioned by the OP and I've eaten a lot of "weird" meat: deer, rabbit, kangaroo, ostrich, crocodile, snake, etc. but I haven't tried dog or cat, and don't have an urge to try. So eating dog or cat is not exactly that common in China, Korea, Philippines or Vietnam, as some people might want you to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
People like you are why I am so disgusted by the world. You are truly blind and careless.

Ouch, my feelings are really hurt by that. (snicker)

Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Quote:
Funny, all these replies but none answering the question: do most Asians in these countries eat cats and dogs?
No, not most.

Most Asians do not eat dog and cat meat for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The practice has died down considerably since Asians are becoming wealthier and can afford to keep pets. Pet culture is common in developed nations, not places like Africa where many, if not most people are struggling to make ends meet and don't have the spare resources for luxuries like pets.

Have you ever been to any Asian country? I'm guessing no. Well, I guess since you are a American/Canadian, you will have noticed the absence of stray dogs and cats wandering around. In Asia, there is a major dog/cat problem. When I was in Vietnam, even in the capital city, I saw many stray dogs roaming the streets. They leave piles of dog crap and ****, they are aggressive, they steal food, they tip over bins and worst of all, many have rabies.

In addition, Feral cats destroy native wildlife species too.

It's not nice but euthanising these stray, diseased dogs/cats is the only practical solution.

In Asia, people are literally starving to death. I don't feel that it's fair to look down on the poor for doing what they have to for survival. The job market is absolutely terrible in Vietnam and there is no public assistance. What can they do?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How can you tell what kind of meat it is when it's mixed with some curry/sauce?
Many street vendors and restaurants saying they sell you beef/pork but you never know 100% sure.
Cat and dog meat is expensive, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I find it so atrocious that eating these animals is okay in parts of the world. And not killing them humanely, but skinning them alive for Gods' sake! People on this site have angrily called me ignorant and insensitive for mentioning this with regard to Asian countries being responsible.

My question is, about what percentage/proportion of the population in the countries perpetuating this culinary practice partake in it--most, or just a few?

I live in Vancouver, BC where around 60% of the population is from these countries, I wonder how likely it is they have ordered some kitty stew before immigrating. Dog meat, as long as has been inspected, is legal in Canada to my amazement--I also am curious how many restaurants have a frozen dog carcass in their freezer here.

Here's a 2010 CNN article on the practice in China: Inside the cat and dog meat market in China - CNN.com

Cat meat wiki:
Cat meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dog meat wiki:
Dog meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* I don't think eating pigs and other intelligent animals is any more okay than cats and dogs (as a vegetarian), though I know from personal experience they are very loving creatures. Chickens are not very smart, so I find that a little more acceptable.
Skinning any animal alive is definitely unacceptable: I'd have more of a problem with that and any other inhumane treatment than simply killing dogs or cats for meat. I know it goes on sometimes, but I can't say how much. Certainly not all the time.

I can't give you percentages, it varies by country. In none of these countries, however, is it a regular staple. My best experience is in Vietnam. I know they often sell dog carcasses on the street, but I never saw them, but our guide did point out various restaurants in Hanoi that sold dog meat. My Vietnamese friend, who is young, said she had dog meat once but didn't know it was dog meat. There are probably plenty of people in these countries who have never tried dog or cat nor would. There's a growing movement to ban it.

Personally, if they're raised for meat and killed humanely it's just like any other meat, although I wouldn't eat it myself and find it distasteful. And it's not just only an Asian thing. They eat dog sausages in Switzerland too, and they used to often eat dogs in Europe before WWI.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
the Chinese are the worst, saw a video once where they were cutting out the brain of a living monkey in a restaurant
I think that's an urban myth or at most based on a few incidences. Which video? There's a fake video I've seen. The story/myth has variations to it, sometimes it's in the Philippines, Indonesia.etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 PM

487 posts, read 896,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think that's an urban myth or at most based on a few incidences. Which video? There's a fake video I've seen. The story/myth has variations to it, sometimes it's in the Philippines, Indonesia.etc.
China Tortures and Kills Monkeys for Monkey Brain Dish - LIBRARY OF MOST CONTROVERSIAL FILES
Yes, they eat monkey brains from freshly killed monkeys. It is believed to cure impotence.

They also eat live fish. They deep fry the fish first, but it survives the cooking. Ying yang fish, it is called: Ying Yang fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Waiter, my food is still breathing . . . | World news | The Guardian

What a sick culture.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
China Tortures and Kills Monkeys for Monkey Brain Dish - LIBRARY OF MOST CONTROVERSIAL FILES
Yes, they eat monkey brains from freshly killed monkeys. It is believed to cure impotence.

They also eat live fish. They deep fry the fish first, but it survives the cooking. Ying yang fish, it is called: Ying Yang fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Waiter, my food is still breathing . . . | World news | The Guardian

What a sick culture.
Gosh yeah if true that's really sickening. How do people come up with this stuff? I always thought it was one of those things that was too horrible to be true. I've seen videos of the live fish thing, also live squid, also being served in Japan, very shocking when I first saw it.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 AM

69 posts, read 144,074 times
Quote:
the Chinese are the worst, saw a video once where they were cutting out the brain of a living monkey in a restaurant
Have you been to China ?
Do not believe the video.Each country has its dark side

I have been to many Asian countries , each country has different customs , not as scary as saying on TV

Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 AM

65 posts, read 98,114 times
Quote:
I find it so atrocious that eating these animals is okay in parts of the world. And not killing them humanely, but skinning them alive for Gods' sake! People on this site have angrily called me ignorant and insensitive for mentioning this with regard to Asian countries being responsible.

My question is, about what percentage/proportion of the population in the countries perpetuating this culinary practice partake in it--most, or just a few?

I live in Vancouver, BC where around 60% of the population is from these countries, I wonder how likely it is they have ordered some kitty stew before immigrating. Dog meat, as long as has been inspected, is legal in Canada to my amazement--I also am curious how many restaurants have a frozen dog carcass in their freezer here.

Here's a 2010 CNN article on the practice in China: Inside the cat and dog meat market in China - CNN.com

Cat meat wiki:
Cat meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dog meat wiki:
Dog meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* I don't think eating pigs and other intelligent animals is any more okay than cats and dogs (as a vegetarian), though I know from personal experience they are very loving creatures. Chickens are not very smart, so I find that a little more acceptable.
Since I was born in Hong Kong,some people including myself do not eat cat's or dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia