Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

I've noticed the similarities between the two rival cities in China and Vietnam.

* Beijing and Hanoi are both national capitals and political/cultural capitals

* Both Shanghai and Saigon are the largest cities and the modern/commercial centre

* Beijing and Hanoi have long histories as capital and as centre of government, while Shanghai and Saigon are relatively new cities.

* Beijing and Hanoi are in the 'heartlands' of each country, while Shanghai and Saigon are the international face of the country.

* Both Beijing and Hanoi are dominated by grand, communist architecture and large squares. Both also include a lot of historic architecture and neighbourhoods.

* Saigon and Shanghai are newer, with more high-rises.

* The bodies of Ho and Mao are in Hanoi and Beijing respectively.

* Northerners and Beijingers are seen as down to earth, reserved and traditional, while those from the South are seen as business-minded and entreprenueral, as in Saigon and Shanghai.

* The Hanoi accent is the 'standard' Vietnamese accent, while the Saigon accent is more commonly heard overseas. The Beijing Mandarin dialect is the standard lingua franca of the PRC, although Shanghai has it's own language.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Yeah, and Indianapolis is pretty similar to New York City!

Um... no.

Beijing is to Hanoi what an Elephant is to a mouse. There's no comparison.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Beijing is the capital of China and its historical center. But Shanghai also has historical neighborhoods and is not all high-rise buildings.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Yeah, and Indianapolis is pretty similar to New York City!

Um... no.

Beijing is to Hanoi what an Elephant is to a mouse. There's no comparison.
Of course they're very different, but the similarities should be bleeding obvious. I've been to both. In some ways Vietnam does feel like a mini tropical China (not to belittle it) with the stark commie architecture, portraits of the great leader, commie slogans, while at the same time seeming very capitalist and having a similar culture.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
No. They are nothing alike. Crossing the "Friendship" border reveals the stark differences between China and Vietnam. The first border city you come across is Nanning, which feels at least twice as big as Hanoi. I can't speak for HCMC, since I was only there for a day or two and didn't get a feel for the place.

Vietnam is much more free-wheeling than China. Travelling through the country--even though we fought a protracted war with them, Americans can feel much more comfortable with the Vietnamese than the Chinese. In China, there's a constant tension of big brother watching over your shoulder. In Vietnam, the government is (generally) less of an oppressive presence.

Hanoi is a small, sleepy town, not much bigger than Phnom Penh. The imposing government structures are the biggest thing in town; besides the big new mall down south. In Beijing, the government edifices are lost in a sea of skyscrapers.

The Vietnamese are more open (and some would say aggressive). Neither country ranks high on my list of favorite places, but if I had to pick, I'd take Vietnam over China. Plus, Vietnamese usually rather deal in Dollars than RMB (or Dong).

Vietnam and China are similar in the way Italy and Germany are similar. They're in the same continent and have "similar" systems of government, but that's about it. Hanoi = Beijing is like saying Bari = Berlin

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No. They are nothing alike. Crossing the "Friendship" border reveals the stark differences between China and Vietnam. The first border city you come across is Nanning, which feels at least twice as big as Hanoi. I can't speak for HCMC, since I was only there for a day or two and didn't get a feel for the place.

Vietnam is much more free-wheeling than China. Travelling through the country--even though we fought a protracted war with them, Americans can feel much more comfortable with the Vietnamese than the Chinese. In China, there's a constant tension of big brother watching over your shoulder. In Vietnam, the government is (generally) less of an oppressive presence.

Hanoi is a small, sleepy town, not much bigger than Phnom Penh. The imposing government structures are the biggest thing in town; besides the big new mall down south. In Beijing, the government edifices are lost in a sea of skyscrapers.

The Vietnamese are more open (and some would say aggressive). Neither country ranks high on my list of favorite places, but if I had to pick, I'd take Vietnam over China. Plus, Vietnamese usually rather deal in Dollars than RMB (or Dong).

Vietnam and China are similar in the way Italy and Germany are similar. They're in the same continent and have "similar" systems of government, but that's about it. Hanoi = Beijing is like saying Bari = Berlin
I didn't say HCMC and Beijing were extremely similar, more that the relationships between HCMC/Hanoi and Shanghai/Beijing are similar. The reasons why should be obvious.

If you think Hanoi is barely bigger than Phnom Penh I question whether you've even been there. It's a bustling city of over 6 million people, while PP has just over 1 million.

There are aggressive people who try to take advantage you in both countries. That's probably the biggest downside to visiting. Vietnam does indeed feel extremely capitalistic for being communist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia