Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I agree with this. Bangkok needs a distinctive landmark building to serve as the focal point of it's skyline.
Noooo, say it ain't so. All you gotta do is look around Red. Bangkok has numerous distinctive landmarks that serve as skyline focal points. As I mentioned previously, different areas around the city provide uniquely different views of the skyline. Below are a few striking examples. These are ground level views.

Landmark Hotel
Okay, just joking, but note one of the photos shows a rooftop pool with small traditional Thai-style structures (outdoor bars).
http://www.bestattravel.co.uk/Landma...lSource=&EANID=

Wat Arun
A strong scenic skyline landmark along the Chao Phraya River. Very distinctive day or night.
25 Things to Do in Bangkok - AsiaRooms.com Community
http://ds-lands.com/data_images/top_...bangkok-03.jpg

Grand Palace
Gorgeous during the day. Dazzling at night.
http://thebestofthailand.files.wordp...nd-palace2.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rom_River2.jpg

Bangkok Bridge
Nice sleek design.
http://www.newscenter.philips.com/pw...bankok_big.jpg

Bangkok Elephant Building
Although odd looking, it definitely stands out as an impressive focal point against the skyline.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BAIn884HFq...phant_2009.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM

51 posts, read 272,603 times
I agree with you nightbazaar.
Most of landmark in Bangkok relates to culture and tradition.These fascinate tourists all over the world and raise Bangkok to be the most tourist city (more than London in 2013) .Moreover Bkk is "world 's best city" for fourth year from travel leisure (voted from tourists all over the world)
Bkk was founded approximately 230 years ago and it needn't to establish a modern cement building (like some country with poor culture) to attract many tourists and boast about wealthiness or make itself outstanding from other countries.
"If you have much money , you can build the tallest building in the world or such an attractive place . But sorry ,not for B-A-N-G-K-O-K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenuleeve View Post
I agree with you nightbazaar.
Most of landmark in Bangkok relates to culture and tradition.These fascinate tourists all over the world and raise Bangkok to be the most tourist city (more than London in 2013) .Moreover Bkk is "world 's best city" for fourth year from travel leisure (voted from tourists all over the world)
Bkk was founded approximately 230 years ago and it needn't to establish a modern cement building (like some country with poor culture) to attract many tourists and boast about wealthiness or make itself outstanding from other countries.
"If you have much money , you can build the tallest building in the world or such an attractive place . But sorry ,not for B-A-N-G-K-O-K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're right. I admit I'm partial to Thailand because I have friends and family there, my wife is a Thai, and we have a house there. But, even part from that, I'd still be inclined to view BKK and Thailand as being very unique. Although I can certainly understand that features that are very large or incredibly attractive in some cities around the world do indeed serve as excellent skyline focal points that become identified with a city (such as the Eiffel Tower in Paris), but there's no rule that all cities need such structures.

In a way, every place, from huge cities to small villages have some sort of skyline. So it really boils down to the eye of the beholder as to what's impressive or what's beautiful. Certainly, there is a general consensus of beauty and impressiveness which gets down to mutual agreement. And that's okay and I agree. I'd have a hard time thinking about London without Big Ben, or Cairo without the pyramids. BKK, on the other hand, has a wide variety of features that don't really need to be large and yet still serve as interesting skyline focal points. And I think one of the most interesting features about BKK is that it does have a certain blend of old and new, of traditional and contemporary, that works perfectly for it. It'd hard to pick out any single structure that solely identifies BKK by its skyline and focal point structure because there are so many different views there. I suppose if I had to pick out one as a notable skyline focal point for BKK, it would probably be Wat Arun.

Views of the city from a highrise or overhead from a plane, it's more difficult to spot specific and notable structures, although everytime I fly into BKK, I always find myself gawking out the window, admiring the view below, and feel really excited with the familiarity of it. But then, that's just me. Maybe a lot of it has to do with the thrill of being glad to see everyone I know again.

I do understand other people's views and opinions, and I agree with them too. But I also think that each city has it's own particular features that are unique about it, including the skylines. There are indeed what might be called "classic skylines", but quite honestly, in most cases, it's based on the view from a particular point and direction. If you approached a city from a different direction, the view may be quite different.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
^ The lights make it look prettier, but I think it sort of lacks focus. I could say the same of Tokyo and Seoul, I suppose, neither has a particularly aesthetic or focused skyline from most angles. I just prefer Singapore's on an aesthetic level and most would agree, but it's subjective. My image of the Bangkok skyline is seeing it as a jumble of buildings in a haze driving from the airport. It certainly didn't strike me as particularly attractive.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ The lights make it look prettier, but I think it sort of lacks focus. I could say the same of Tokyo and Seoul, I suppose, neither has a particularly aesthetic or focused skyline from most angles. I just prefer Singapore's on an aesthetic level and most would agree, but it's subjective. My image of the Bangkok skyline is seeing it as a jumble of buildings in a haze driving from the airport. It certainly didn't strike me as particularly attractive.
Nothing wrong with having a preference for Singapore's skyline. Sure, it's all pretty much a subjective matter of personal preference. I posted a number of examples that contribute to BKK givng different kinds of views of the skyline. The images that Davy posted look pretty good to me. The last image he posted looks dusky, but not many lights on, and still looks great. I think it really has a lot to do with the location you're viewing from. I know not everyone is going to share the same opinion about it, but that's okay and understandable.

LOL! Yeah, I agree nothing looks all that great with a hazy blanket of smog over the city. I'm guessing the route you take going into the city from Suvarnabhumi (Camp Swampy) Airport is probably via Sukhumvit Road. That's not really the best view of the city. That might have something to do with it. I can see how that might not make the most dazzling impression on a person. I've been that way before going from Bang Saen Beach into BKK. Not much in the way of interesting architecture out that way and hard to see the city until you get closer in.

We take the Motorway 7 Toll Road from Camp Swampy (north of BKK), then head north to to Sarburi. The view of the city (what you can see of it) to the south looks pretty good, albeit a long way off in the distance. When the only international airport was at Don Meung (before the overhead expressway was put up) the view going into the city was also good, and, of course, a different kind of view.

What do you think it is that provides appealing focus?

Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times
- Tokyo
- Singapore
- Beijing
- Abu Dhabi
- KL
- Jakarta (it actually do have beautiful buildings)
- Bangkok (lots of cluster and buildings but i agree to some, that its not particularly impressive)
- Manila
- Seoul
- Riyadh
- New Delhi (pretty pathetic, Mumbai would be fairer)

Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Hong Kong hands down.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 22,577 times
For me, it is
-Hong Kong (amazing!)
-Singpore (organised and modern)
-Dubai (ultra-modern)
-KL (Petronas Towers)
-Manila (compact/dense, organised)
-Bangkok/Tokyo(huge, scattered, modern)
-Jakarta/Seoul
-Hanoi

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times
Capital cities?
HK shouldnt be on the list lol, i know its amazing but...

Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
This list was just updated. I like the way the scoring method they use

The World's Best Skylines

Of the capitals in Asia

1. Hong Kong (1st worldwide)
2. Tokyo (ranked 5th)
3. Bangkok (9)
4. Singapore (11)
5. Manila (12)
6. Seoul (13)
7. Kuala Lumpur (14)
8. Jakarta (15)
9. Beijing (18)
10. Abu Dhabi (25)
11. Taipei (41)

I thought it was interesting that Asian capitals were in a row from 11th to 15th place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia