U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,791,220 times

Advertisements

There is a negative stereotype here in the U.S that says "All Asians look alike" typically referring to the people of east and southeast asia. I was wondering if you guys can put up pictures of how the typical person of a country in these two regions look like. Now I know there are different ethnicities in some countries, I am looking for the majority one.

I can somewhat spot a person from China, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines but sadly other than that no.

I saw this beautiful girl around my age when I visited California a few weeks ago. I know for a fact that she was not from China, Korea, or Japan. She was light skin, beautiful long black hair, and had wider eyes than those of the people from China, Korea and Japan. Also the language she was speaking around her family was definitely not from those three countries. She was also around 5"7. But her female relatives were around 5"4ish. Anyone have an idea?

East Asia

China:

South Korea:

Japan:

Southeast Asia:

Thailand:

Vietnam:

Malaysia:

Indonesia:

Philippines:

Singapore:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,463,948 times
No it's pretty hard to go by that description if you have no pics. Some Southern Chinese have pretty wide eyes. 5'7" would be tall for a Southeast Asian, but if she has naturally pale skin it's more likely she is Vietnamese or Thai than anything else.

Are you sure the language she was speaking was not a Sinitic language? Are you familiar with Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka, Teochew? They sound very different to Mandarin.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 AM

16,207 posts, read 39,532,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
There is a negative stereotype here in the U.S that says "All Asians look alike" typically referring to the people of east and southeast asia. I was wondering if you guys can put up pictures of how the typical person of a country in these two regions look like. Now I know there are different ethnicities in some countries, I am looking for the majority one.

I can somewhat spot a person from China, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines but sadly other than that no.

I saw this beautiful girl around my age when I visited California a few weeks ago. I know for a fact that she was not from China, Korea, or Japan. She was light skin, beautiful long black hair, and had wider eyes than those of the people from China, Korea and Japan. Also the language she was speaking around her family was definitely not from those three countries. She was also around 5"7. But her female relatives were around 5"4ish. Anyone have an idea?
PROBABLY Filipina.

Only saying that because while California has every Asian on earth in it's state, I believe that Filipinas numbers are very, very, high.

Additionally, if you ruled out they weren't speaking Korean/Japanese/Chinese...than I'm imagining that any other tonal language you might here, might be confused with Chinese.

The wider-eyes apart, is a very Malay/Filipina thing as well. The lighter-skin is generally a very northeast asian thing, but there are also many Chinese-Malay, Chinese-Thai, Chinese-Indonesian too. But, if they are Chinese ethnicity of southeast asian, they look kinda chinese usually.

Filipinas have both light-skinned and dark-skinned, and not always with that chinese-look of the white-skinned Filipinas. So, there is another checkmark for Filipina.

Also, the fact that her relatives were around 5'4"...that is quite typical of many Filipinas as well.

Just PURE speculation though....only speculation. Simply by deduction based on what you gave. But, could be any Asian really.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 AM

31 posts, read 95,132 times
Be careful with this topic - there are a lot of posters here that will just flood you with people from their own race, and the other nationalities won't have but one or two pics. You can also have the situation where there'll be just two people arguing from one country what is the 'average' look of the country.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 38,071 times

Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,818,682 times
she could have been a Chinese Cambodian, Ive seen some Cambodian women with light complexon but with the Khmer eyes

I doubt she was filipina, because filipinos have a very distinct accent and language that no other asians have

most can recognize a filipino accent immediately when they hear it

Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,791,220 times
She might have been Filipina. Her family seemed very approachable. We also smiled at each other. I know she was American, but she spoke in her family's native language. I also know there is a large population of Filipinos in California.

Its interesting how many ethnicities there are in East and Southeast Asia.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM

9,781 posts, read 18,463,948 times

FAST TAGALOG / Mabilis na Nagsasalita ng Tagalog - YouTube

Did they sound like this? Just slower? lol

Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,818,682 times
which part of California? this could give a clue on her ethnicity? what city did you see this in?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 PM

16,207 posts, read 39,532,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkalang View Post
Be careful with this topic - there are a lot of posters here that will just flood you with people from their own race, and the other nationalities won't have but one or two pics. You can also have the situation where there'll be just two people arguing from one country what is the 'average' look of the country.
SUPER AGREE!

I've never seen SO MANY MISREPRESENTATIONS from photos than I have here on city-data ASIA forums. As a person who spent a decade and a half in Asia, and been to pretty much all the Pacific Asia countries that people like to compare with, few of the misrepresentations are accurate. They range from All Indonesians look like Japanese people, to all Manila people are actually Africans. Neither of which is true AT ALL, but entire threads have been devoted to such misrepresentations with a flood of 'random photos' to argue their misrepresentations.

If someone is really curious about such a topic, maybe view 'Seoul Crowds' or 'Manila crowds' on google images. At least someone can see 100s of people altogether, and they are a true cross-section of the actual people there. But individual shots of celebrities or pageant queens or 'indigeneous' or whatever outlier they find, just doesn't cut it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia