Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,837,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Why " crazy " ? Just because interracial marriages are common? You always try to make it sound like interracial marriages are bad. We are all humans so there is definitely nothing wrong with marrying someone from another country.
Europeans marrying their own kind ? How do you know ? If they marry another European, it's already someone from another country that has a different culture but you just can't tell because they look the same. The hollywood stars from the 50's, if you look at their biographies, their fathers were this and that and their Mothers were this and that too. Of course, the offsprings still looked the same because they both have the same Caucasian features.
Even the royalties in Europe also marry people from other European countries. Queen Sofia of Spain is not Spanish, she's from Greece.
My husband's bestfriend is a European but he married a Polish American. I know some Portuguese women who are married to Filipino men.
So you think an Asian should just marry a fellow Asian ? Why ? That sounds a bit racist.
How about a Chinese marrying a Korean ? Maybe for you, it is more acceptable as they both look the same and probably have things in common.
Every now and then , I would see a Chinese girl with a Westerner. With the influx of many Western teachers in China, I wouldn't doubt if interracial marriages would already be common in the near future.
Also Europeans vary too. A Swede marrying an Italian is like a Korean marrying a Thai or something. They're both a 'mix' both culturally and genetically. A Korean and an Italian is just a somewhat greater degree of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,374,916 times
A good friend of mine married an Indian woman, and at least her father was dead-set against it and even threatened to kick her out of hte family! Well, of course, what happened was that the women (who grew up in the UK) basically left the house herself and didn't visit for over a year. After that her father came begging to be included in her life again and started learning that the guy wasn't the devil and has a good job and treats her well. So, it can work out, but majority of the time it doesn't and either the woman goes and marries some indian dude who treats her like garbage or she marries who she wants and the kids grow up without grandparents from that side of the family. A Laotian man I know married a Canadian woman and that got the village elder to put a curse on the whole family!

My attitude is their culture and civilization is ~40 years behind ours in sensibilities so it cannot be helped, you have to have faith that in time it will change.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,777,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
A good friend of mine married an Indian woman, and at least her father was dead-set against it and even threatened to kick her out of hte family! Well, of course, what happened was that the women (who grew up in the UK) basically left the house herself and didn't visit for over a year. After that her father came begging to be included in her life again and started learning that the guy wasn't the devil and has a good job and treats her well. So, it can work out, but majority of the time it doesn't and either the woman goes and marries some indian dude who treats her like garbage or she marries who she wants and the kids grow up without grandparents from that side of the family. A Laotian man I know married a Canadian woman and that got the village elder to put a curse on the whole family!

My attitude is their culture and civilization is ~40 years behind ours in sensibilities so it cannot be helped, you have to have faith that in time it will change.
Your argument sounds very biased, as if those Indian men were all garbage.

In China, for example, adult children are still a very import part of the family. My grandmother used to live with her children (both sons and daughters) after my grandfather died. She sold her own home (and distributed the money to her children) and stayed with children's families, because that is the right thing to do in Chinese culture. However, as we can imagine most westerners' don't like that and they don't want grandparents in their house. This is just a simple example of cultural conflicts.

Yes, a person has his own life, but it is extremely selfish to ignore parents' opinions or even abandon them just because they don't agree with you. It is sad that parents have to "beg" to reunite with their daughter. IMO, the daughter is exactly selfish.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,431,616 times
Answer is simple. They are closed off to others and racist. I work with many of them, went to school with many of them...They are hands down some of the most racist people I have ever come across. They can deny it all they want but just look at the caste system...Its one the most disgusting things I have ever heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Good luck.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Your argument sounds very biased, as if those Indian men were all garbage.

In China, for example, adult children are still a very import part of the family. My grandmother used to live with her children (both sons and daughters) after my grandfather died. She sold her own home (and distributed the money to her children) and stayed with children's families, because that is the right thing to do in Chinese culture. However, as we can imagine most westerners' don't like that and they don't want grandparents in their house. This is just a simple example of cultural conflicts.

Yes, a person has his own life, but it is extremely selfish to ignore parents' opinions or even abandon them just because they don't agree with you. It is sad that parents have to "beg" to reunite with their daughter. IMO, the daughter is exactly selfish.
I don't think he said anything of the sort. And it would depend why the parents opposed it. If it was simply because he wasn't Indian I don't think her actions were selfish, although it's sad she had to run away from her family for that. But in the end the father came around anyway. Of course, I can sort of understand if the parents preferred her to marry an Indian, for cultural reasons, but I suppose it's the 21st century and inter-cultural marriages are just becoming commoner.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,777,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't think he said anything of the sort. And it would depend why the parents opposed it. If it was simply because he wasn't Indian I don't think her actions were selfish, although it's sad she had to run away from her family for that. But in the end the father came around anyway. Of course, I can sort of understand if the parents preferred her to marry an Indian, for cultural reasons, but I suppose it's the 21st century and inter-cultural marriages are just becoming commoner.
I'm not saying she can only marry an Indian man. Instead, she needs to work on the issue and be very patient. Running away is definitely selfish, because it implies her parents mean much less than her boyfriend/husband, which actually hurts her parents.

In the 21 century, over 50% couples end up with divorce in the US, and it is similar in many other countries. However, the tie between parents and children lasts forever. Eastern culture values that relationship much more than western culture does, and I do not consider it wrong.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying she can only marry an Indian man. Instead, she needs to work on the issue and be very patient. Running away is definitely selfish, because it implies her parents mean much less than her boyfriend/husband, which actually hurts her parents.

In the 21 century, over 50% couples end up with divorce in the US, and it is similar in many other countries. However, the tie between parents and children lasts forever. Eastern culture values that relationship much more than western culture does, and I do not consider it wrong.
Well it depends how unreasonable the parents are. Keep in mind her father was the one who threatened to kick her out of the family, so if anything he was the one literally pushing her away. How much did HE value his relationship with his own daughter if he was willing to disown her simply for choosing to marry someone she loved who happened not to be Indian? You've got to understand how conservative and rigid South Asian society can be. It's all about marrying into the right caste, money, sometimes very shallow reasons. If she's happy with him, and he's good to your daughter, why would you oppose the marriage?

I don't think Westerners love their parents any less than Easterners. Plus in the East a lot of people are very filial simply because it's expected of them. But yes, in some ways arranged marriages are simpler and stuff, but like it or not I think those days are gone. Plus this woman was living in the UK, not in rural India.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,475,893 times
It's fairly ironic how people who are engaging in defamation and stereotyping with a smug sense of superiority are complaining about a group being racist.

Amazon.com: Mirror* Hand* Large* Black: Beauty

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM

603 posts, read 1,635,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
South Asian culture is still very traditional and conservative. Marrying out of your caste is often a big no-no, let alone a non-Desi. Good point, though, the status of women in India is often quite unequal, not saying the West is perfect. The recent uproar over gang rapes in India probably highlight a major social phenomenon there - I don't think gang rape is part of the culture, it's still considered a huge deal, but Indian males are also often very forwardly sexually in a way that would make western women uncomfortable.
I agree with quite a lot of this.

I would say for definte that South Asian culture is really traditional and yes caste also plays a big contribution.

Indian women are treated much more different than women in Western cultures.

I know that Indian males (especially Northern Indians) I noticed are very forceful towards Western women in particular.

I would overall say almost the same applies to West Asians, Latin Americans, North Africans and some Mediterraneans (mainly Iberians and Greeks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm starting to see more of interracial relationships from South Asians over the past 5-6 yrs in the U.S from the younger generation.
That is just starting but still there are issues.

Quote:
From another angle of view:

Only southeast Asians and some East Asians are so crazy about interracial marriage. All other peoples don't.
Middle Easterners, South Asians, Africans, Europeans...strongly prefer their own men and their own women.
I totally agree with a lot of this.

Except for Africans and most Europeans (such as Northern, Western, Eastern, Central, South/Central Europeans).

Most Europeans (except for Iberians and Greeks) would date also outside their own race if they wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Why " crazy " ? Just because interracial marriages are common? You always try to make it sound like interracial marriages are bad. We are all humans so there is definitely nothing wrong with marrying someone from another country.
Europeans marrying their own kind ? How do you know ? If they marry another European, it's already someone from another country that has a different culture but you just can't tell because they look the same. The hollywood stars from the 50's, if you look at their biographies, their fathers were this and that and their Mothers were this and that too. Of course, the offsprings still looked the same because they both have the same Caucasian features.
Even the royalties in Europe also marry people from other European countries. Queen Sofia of Spain is not Spanish, she's from Greece.
My husband's bestfriend is a European but he married a Polish American. I know some Portuguese women who are married to Filipino men.
So you think an Asian should just marry a fellow Asian ? Why ? That sounds a bit racist.
How about a Chinese marrying a Korean ? Maybe for you, it is more acceptable as they both look the same and probably have things in common.
Every now and then , I would see a Chinese girl with a Westerner. With the influx of many Western teachers in China, I wouldn't doubt if interracial marriages would already be common in the near future.
You have to understand that some cultures are still into tradition and some much much more than even others.

Preference is still what lots people would go for in who they would marry.

Queen Sofia of Spain is not Spanish but she still looks Iberian.

I do not think it is exactly racist for someone to prefer their own people if they want to.

I personally do not mind going interracial.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 AM

603 posts, read 1,635,222 times
Overall South Asians are like Middle Easterners, North Africans, some Mediterranean coast people (such as Iberians, Greeks and Turks) and Latin Americans in tradition and culture.

In that they would prefer to marry into their own ethnicity etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia