Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
People in mainland China often identify with their home province as well. Considering Taiwan is so well known, it wouldn't surprise me if your friend would do so himself. I don't know your friend, but just because someone identifies with Taiwan doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't consider himself Chinese.
Some do, some don't. I'm sure even those who don't, however, recognise their Chinese culture and ancestry, as an Australian would recognise his say British culture. Taiwanese has it's own distinctive culture, a blend of Chinese as well as native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Taiwanese culture is part of Chinese culture. People wouldn't have gone to East Germany and say "it's a blend of German and Soviet culture" as if it was not a part of Germany.
I don't think Western media's portrayal of the ROC is reflective of its political situation. The KMT has been the ruling party, nearly uninterupted, for well over 50 years. It's clear that the majority of the population does not favour independence.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Taiwanese culture is part of Chinese culture. People wouldn't have gone to East Germany and say "it's a blend of German and Soviet culture" as if it was not a part of Germany.
I don't think Western media's portrayal of the ROC is reflective of its political situation. The KMT has been the ruling party, nearly uninterupted, for well over 50 years. It's clear that the majority of the population does not favour independence.
Taiwan was under Martial law until 1987. The KMT were pretty authoritarian, and they have still have a grip on the country. Polls have shown most favour independence and many identify as Taiwanese not Chinese. This is especially true of the young. I think independence is inevitable, it's just a matter of time.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Taiwan was under Martial law until 1987. The KMT were pretty authoritarian, and they have still have a grip on the country. Polls have shown most favour independence and many identify as Taiwanese not Chinese. This is especially true of the young. I think independence is inevitable, it's just a matter of time.
I don't agree with the last sentence. China is becoming another "USA" and Taiwan is just like Puerto Rico, but only culturally more similar to the mainland. Eventually they will vote to join China again.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't agree with the last sentence. China is becoming another "USA" and Taiwan is just like Puerto Rico, but only culturally more similar to the mainland. Eventually they will vote to join China again.
Yes, but certainly not until democracy on the mainland is achieved. Let's hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:24 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
From my experience, if you tell a Chinese or Taiwanese dude that the two countries are the same, sh*t will end up being flipped

Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Taiwan is nothing like PR. Taiwan was/is pretty self-sufficient. They will never vote to become part of the PRC, unless there's a total regime change.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
From my experience, if you tell a Chinese or Taiwanese dude that the two countries are the same, sh*t will end up being flipped
Many Chinese claim Taiwan as part of the PRC, but most Taiwanese wouldn't be too happy.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Taiwan is nothing like PR. Taiwan was/is pretty self-sufficient. They will never vote to become part of the PRC, unless there's a total regime change.
You underestimated the cultural tie.
Personally I even asked a Taiwanese student what he thinks about this issue. He told me that Taiwanese do not have a strong preference either way; and if becoming a part of China is good for Taiwan in the future, it will happen.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Hong Kong and Macau are even more self-sufficient. The GDP per capita of these two places are much higher than that of Taiwan too. They do not even speak Mandarin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia