Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Speaking of which, the story of the little known wife of Chiang Kai-Shek's son and later President Chiang Ching-Kuo Chiang Fang-liang (born Faina Ipat'evna Vakhreva) from Belarus/Russia is an interesting one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Fang-liang

Last edited by The Postman; 10-15-2013 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
People in mainland China often identify with their home province as well. Considering Taiwan is so well known, it wouldn't surprise me if your friend would do so himself. I don't know your friend, but just because someone identifies with Taiwan doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't consider himself Chinese.
I have been aquainted with a number of people whose families have lived in northern California for many generations that consider themselves American despite their bloodlines clearly being chinese in orign. If questioned about their ethnicity they describe themselves as Chinese. If asked about their nationality they describe themselves as Americans.

I see no issue with a person of Chinese descent feeling themselves to be Tawainese.

My friends in California, despite the recognition of their Chinese ancestry, have no desire to place themselves under Chinese rule. They are quite happy with US governmental rule, and even Californian State government (although as a Texan I have difficulty understanding the state govt preferrence )

What your ancestory is and what your alliegence is to are differernt issues. They do not go hand in hand.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,092,286 times
I'm in no way suggesting they should submit themselves to the fascist PRC. Quite the contrary. I just feel that Western media's dissociation of Taiwan with China (which, to me, doesn't have to mean the PRC) isn't reflective of the general political sentiment among ROC nationals. Like I said, we would call someone from Brazzaville Congolese even though they are from the smaller Congo. We would call someone from Bissau Guinean even though they're from the smaller Guinea. We would call someone from Pyongyang Korean even though they're from the smaller Korea. Why can't we do the same with China?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
What do people from Taiwan WANT to be called? That is how I would refer to them. Everyone I have ever met from Taiwan states that they are from Taiwan. Not China.
+1

This!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I'm in no way suggesting they should submit themselves to the fascist PRC. Quite the contrary. I just feel that Western media's dissociation of Taiwan with China (which, to me, doesn't have to mean the PRC) isn't reflective of the general political sentiment among ROC nationals. Like I said, we would call someone from Brazzaville Congolese even though they are from the smaller Congo. We would call someone from Bissau Guinean even though they're from the smaller Guinea. We would call someone from Pyongyang Korean even though they're from the smaller Korea. Why can't we do the same with China?
It's not just Western media's dissociation of Taiwan from China--more importantly, it's Taiwan's dissociation of Taiwan from China. It's actually Western governments fear of bad relations with China that makes them deny that dissociation. Free speech might allow the media in those countries to address them separately, but in official channels, they stay mum.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Chinese have their own way to define a nation or culture. They do not follow the western convention completely, and people in the west should get used to it.

For example, Chinese people recognize Yuan dynasty as a Chinese dynasty, but Yuan was established by Mongols. Nowadays there are more Mongols in China than in Mongolia. Some westerners never understand this. The same goes to Tibet. Westerners cannot understand Chinese people's mentalilty.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
There are two sovereign states which administer different parts of China, but the people living on Taiwan are overwhelmingly Chinese. Their language is Chinese, their culture is Chinese, their history is Chinese, their country is called the Republic of China... I don't understand why it's almost considered rude or unacceptable to think of Taiwan as a province of China. I don't believe that I, as a foreigner, am in a position to voice my opinion on the reunification of China, but considering Greens (Those who support a separate "Taiwanese" identity) are a minority in the ROC, why can't we refer to the country as "East China" or "China-Taipei" or something as we do with countries with the same name in multiple states like Korea, Congo or Guinea?

Here is a map of territories administered by the Republic of China that are not in Taiwan.

To put things in perspective for Americans reading this thread: let's pretend that there was a civil war and the majority of the United States was lost to a new government.
However, a few islands off the coast were retained, keeping the same constitution and government as you have now, and "patriots" (or whatever you'd want to call them) from all over the country moved there, including you, retaining a pan-American culture. Wouldn't you still be American or would you just be a demonym of the largest island, even if you didn't even live on that island? Of course you'd still be an American.
I defer to my friends who seem to prefer to be called Taiwanese.

As a matter of fact seems the majority of the people of Taiwan now consider themselves Taiwanese.

¸ê®Æ®w¢w¥xÆW¥Á²³ ¥xÆW¤H/¤¤°ê¤H»{¦PÁͶդÀ¥¬

Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Because in the West the term Chinese is primarily used as a designation of nationality. In that case it is meaningful to designate between Chinese and Taiwanese.

It can also be used to denote ethnicity, in which case it is far less meaningful.

When we get to race it has almost no meaning what so ever but most westerners don't realize that there are multiple races/ethnicities in Asia let alone within China.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
There are two sovereign states which administer different parts of China, but the people living on Taiwan are overwhelmingly Chinese. Their language is Chinese, their culture is Chinese, their history is Chinese, their country is called the Republic of China... I don't understand why it's almost considered rude or unacceptable to think of Taiwan as a province of China.
In Rome you do like Romans. Just like you don't call for independence of Tibet in China, you don't say Taiwan is a part of China in Taiwan.

Why can't you call them part of China? Maybe because they have an independent government and consider themselves an independent country. Culture or language is irrelevant.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
In Rome you do like Romans. Just like you don't call for independence of Tibet in China, you don't say Taiwan is a part of China in Taiwan.

Why can't you call them part of China? Maybe because they have an independent government and consider themselves an independent country. Culture or language is irrelevant.
Not ALL Taiwanese consider themselves an independent country. Still, some Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese.
The issue is not crystal clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia