Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not ALL Taiwanese consider themselves an independent country. Still, some Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese.
The issue is not crystal clear.
Yes 10% consider themselves chinese. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../07/2003566539

Thats not very many, considering an equal percentage of Americans are unable to locate US on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
In Rome you do like Romans. Just like you don't call for independence of Tibet in China, you don't say Taiwan is a part of China in Taiwan.

Why can't you call them part of China? Maybe because they have an independent government and consider themselves an independent country. Culture or language is irrelevant.
Just because they're independent from the PRC doesn't necessarily make them separate from "China". There are 3 countries called Guinea, 2 countries called the Congo, 2 countries called Korea... you get my point. The Chinese national identity is very important to many ROC nationals, and I don't feel it's fair for Western media to ignore this.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:24 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just because they're independent from the PRC doesn't necessarily make them separate from "China". There are 3 countries called Guinea, 2 countries called the Congo, 2 countries called Korea... you get my point. The Chinese national identity is very important to many ROC nationals, and I don't feel it's fair for Western media to ignore this.
How does western media ignore this? When do they talk about taiwanese culture completely separate from China rather than as a political term? Please, give me instances of this. And I think you are sort of washing away the idea that a lot of Taiwanese actually make a strong distinction between Taiwan and China--there are some who don't and some who do. It's definitely not similar to Korea where both are basically fighting to say that one is more Korean than the other. It's also not similar to Guinea or Congo, because those are recent national identities that a very strong backseat to actual ethnic group identities for the most part.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not ALL Taiwanese consider themselves an independent country. Still, some Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese.
The issue is not crystal clear.
I think most domestic polls have the vast majority of Taiwanese claiming themselves an independent country. The differing opinion is on how loudly on the foreign relations level Taiwan should actually be saying that due to its economic entrenchment with China. In terms of identity, there's a larger degree of variation on saying if Taiwanese is a now separate offshoot of Chinese culture or if it's a subset of Chinese culture--however, there's a large distinction being made between national and ethnic identity.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think most domestic polls have the vast majority of Taiwanese claiming themselves an independent country. The differing opinion is on how loudly on the foreign relations level Taiwan should actually be saying that due to its economic entrenchment with China. In terms of identity, there's a larger degree of variation on saying if Taiwanese is a now separate offshoot of Chinese culture or if it's a subset of Chinese culture--however, there's a large distinction being made between national and ethnic identity.
I consider Taiwan an independent country de facto too. However, I won't ignore the fact that there are many things in shade too. I mean, people from either side do not really consider the other side "foreigners", and such an ambience will probably last.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Every argument made by the OP's opening remarks could also be made with respect to Austria vis-a-vis Germany.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 PM

Surveys usually ask some stupid questions and give you several answers to choose from.
People's opinions are way more complicated and opaque than that.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 AM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every argument made by the OP's opening remarks could also be made with respect to Austria vis-a-vis Germany.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how the situations are the same. Austria wasn't founded in 1949 by a German government in exile on land that was already part of Germany. I acknowledge that nationality and language are very separate.

I'm guessing the vast majority of ROC nationals consider themselves Taiwanese. No argument from me, for most, that's their home province. Many consider themselves Taiwanese first, even. That still doesn't mean that they don't consider China as a part of their national identity.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM

390 posts, read 951,803 times
It seems that China is causing a bit of a stir in some of the islands in the South China Sea. Ownership is in dispute with China over islands off Taiwan, the PI, Japan and Vietnam. China can claim ancestral ownership but taking control will be another matter.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
It seems that China is causing a bit of a stir in some of the islands in the South China Sea. Ownership is in dispute with China over islands off Taiwan, the PI, Japan and Vietnam. China can claim ancestral ownership but taking control will be another matter.
Mainland China does not have any dispute with Taiwan. In fact, Taiwan "seized" some islands of Fujian Province but China does not care at all. Sometimes, both sides claim an island, together with another country, but then the focus is always "the other country", not the dispute between mainland China and Taiwan.

There are some disputes with Vietnam, The Philippines and Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia