Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM

676 posts, read 961,901 times

Advertisements

There's a small village (Augul) in Kyrgyzstan that I'd like to visit (last I was able to check, population was about 1,000). It's extremely isolated, and the closest somewhat large city seems to be Isfara, Tajikistan...but, that's still pretty far away!

Anybody with knowledge of Kyrgyzstan have any idea how to go about getting there? The village is in the Batken Province. Google Maps shows that the road network is sparse, but perhaps that's just because the MAJOR road network is sparse. Are there tinier roads? How do folks get around this region??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
You might want to check a Travel Forum.

I'd recommend Lonely Planet's THORN TREE FORUM.

Basically a forum for backpackers who cover just about every corner on earth, from a traveler's perspective. There's always somebody or a dozen somebody's who've been basically everywhere you could possibly ever want to visit.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:15 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
There's a small village (Augul) in Kyrgyzstan that I'd like to visit (last I was able to check, population was about 1,000). It's extremely isolated, and the closest somewhat large city seems to be Isfara, Tajikistan...but, that's still pretty far away!

Anybody with knowledge of Kyrgyzstan have any idea how to go about getting there? The village is in the Batken Province. Google Maps shows that the road network is sparse, but perhaps that's just because the MAJOR road network is sparse. Are there tinier roads? How do folks get around this region??
Jeep. You can rent one with a driver. Also: horse. There's probably bus service to the provincial capital. You'd have to check once you got into the country.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-11-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM

676 posts, read 961,901 times
Thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't considered a travel forum

Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't considered a travel forum
Once you get to Bishkek, you can either go to the main bus terminal, or (especially if you don't speak Russian or Turkic) to the 1st class hotel for foreigners (there's always one in each capital city, left over from the Soviet period), which will have a travel desk. Someone there will speak English, if needed. You can find out the bus schedule, and they can get a ticket for you, probably for a fee. But it's all doable. They can also arrange for a car and driver, if you want to go that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia