Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times

Advertisements

Some guy taped his trip...the girl at the end of part 2 kinda walks gingerly out of the hotel in the morning. Btw, not just old people like someone mentioned...plenty of young guys too. Also, how was he permitted to tape inside the bars/clubs...thought that was prohibited. The way he taped it felt like i was there too.

Banging in Bangkok 1/2, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza - YouTube

Banging in Bangkok 2/2, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza - YouTube

Last edited by JL; 10-27-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenuleeve View Post
Dport7674
Do you pretend to be stupid?, Did you fail in mathematics exam??
Living in Bkk more than 10 years is a subset of living more than 30 years

This best tourist award is voted by tourists all over the world , no setting up by Thailand
so up to you to believe. I am downhearted to explain

I've lived in Chicago for more than 10 yrs..I don't say I've lived there for more than 2 yrs, and then a half hour later say I've lived there for more than 10 yrs...Sounds stupid.

The city with the most tourists has become "the best tourist award" with voting and everything?..Ok.

Take away the prostitution and the number of tourists going to Thailand would drop a good 75%.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 PM

51 posts, read 272,553 times
Dport7674
Yes that's right ,most tourist city doesn't mean that it gets the best tourist award .
Culture,accommodation ,hotel,service,nightlife,cuisine,street food,friendliness are considered to judge that which city deserve to title this award

Old 10-28-2013, 02:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You can also get WORLD CLASS cuisine and dining (not just Thai, but French, Italian, Spanish, etc.) in BKK and it is half the price or cheaper as compared to obscenely overpriced London, Tokyo, or NYC. Not to mention, BKK is also now becoming a high end fashion hotbed.
Hmmmm that frankly also described Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur, world class cuisine can easily be tasted in its first class hotels and restaurants. They're also a major highend fashion hotbed, for example KL have Harrods department store while Jakarta have Gallerie Lafayette. You see Bangkok may have first class exclusive services but other neighboring cities also do have it, that doesn't make Bangkok more special than any major metropolises nearby, apart from being a Thai city.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 17,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's already been determined. 2012 was a record year for Thailand with 22,353,903 tourists. This year is shaping up extremely well and could poossibly break that record with around 25 million.
Thai Tourism Statistics for April 2013 | Thai Travel News by Paknam Web

Thailand Tourism Statistics. Tourist Arrivals 1998-2013. Influence of Political Events, Thailand Floods on Tourist Arrivals

That's a mighty vague, say-nothing statement to make there Jay. Would you care to clarify the reason as to "we all know why"?

"Most tourists are old males". Really? How do you know that's true? Are there any actual stats (links please) you can share that solidly back up such a claim? Exactly what age range are you defining as being "old"?
We all know the reason why Thailand and Phillipines have mostly middle age men visting. Families and young people are not much in abundance compared to the older men. Sure, there might be good food, culture, etc., but we all know the real reason. You figure it out.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I've lived in Chicago for more than 10 yrs..I don't say I've lived there for more than 2 yrs, and then a half hour later say I've lived there for more than 10 yrs...Sounds stupid.
LOL! I agree, that didn't make much sense at all.

Quote:
The city with the most tourists has become "the best tourist award" with voting and everything?..Ok.
True, numbers don't always represent the best in terms of overall quality, best bargain, most prosperous, etc. But come on, that's just grabbing at straws. What you're saying has more to do with defining exactly what was meant by the word "best". However, for a general nose count the number of tourists is certainly significant. As such in terms numbers, BKK was ranked the best, although I suppose it could've been worded as being "The Most Tourists Award". The designation was made by the "Global Destinations Cities Index" which was compiled by Mastercard.
http://insights.mastercard.com/wp-co...GDCI_Final.pdf

On the other hand, if it had been about other kinds of data for specific cities, such as the most income from tourism, then New York would rank #1, far more than BKK. Or the most expensive tourist destination, which Tokyo would come in first. It all depends on the kind of stats you're looking for.
Bangkok Is the World's Top Tourist Destination | TIME.com

Why Bangkok is the world’s number one tourist destination – Quartz

Quote:
Take away the prostitution and the number of tourists going to Thailand would drop a good 75%.
Supportive stats and references, please! It would certainly thin out some of the riffraff again though.

The sex industry in Thailand isn't likely to vanish any time soon, if ever. Prostitution has pretty much always been a part of the country's historical culture, going back at least 6 centuries in documentation. Prior to the the US using Thailand as an R&R location during the Vietnam War, prostitution was limited to the locals. Tourism was miniscule, almost non-existent. But it wasn't until post-Vietnam that tourism started to increase. Initially, I think one of the biggest draws for early tourists was the availibility of Thai weed which had been introduced by GI's returning back to the US from Vietnam. At the same time, the sex trade was spreading out as a feature to foreigners, obviously because it was more lucrative financially. To better understand the sex industry in Thailand, it might be helpful to understand the history of it.
The Bangkok Sex Industry and World Tourism

Prostitution in Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the late-80's or early-90's, Thailand stepped up its effort to actively promote cultural tourism as an international destination through the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). The purpose, understandaably, was to reach out to a much wider range of tourists which of course meant increasing income from tourism. Keep in mind that this is only about tourism. Thailand has been involved with international trade for a very long time, although not quite to the extent that it enjoys today.

I've seen figures indicating that anywhere from 75% to 80% of foreigners traveling to Thailand are generally males. However, it doesn't indicate the reason for going to Thailand. You tossed out a figure of 75%. I suspect that was just a wild grab thouugh and not based on any realistic percentage rates.

While I don't doubt the percentage is high, it doesn't necessarily mean they're all going to Thailand, and BKK in particular, just to sample the prostitutes. Even though hooker rates in Thailand may be cheaper in comparison to US or European hooker rates, it'd be really expensive overall taking into account other expenses such as airfare, accomodations, local transportation, bar fines, etc., if that was the only reason for going there. A large number of those men are going there for business purposes. A lot of that would depend on how long they will be in the country and how tight their business schedule is. People who are only going to be there for a few days and are on a tight schedule, may not always have as much free time to partake in pay-for-play activities. Some may, but not all. You can bet your boots that BKK is indeed the international business and trade center of the country. The point is that not everyone traveling to BKK are there for sightseeing or to hit the bars. There is an increasing number of couples and families who choose Thailand as a destination to sightsee, hit the beaches, enjoy the culture, sample the food, and just experence a different part of the world. I'll still stand on my opinion that Thailand continues to undergo change and so are the tourists.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wong View Post
We all know the reason why Thailand and Phillipines have mostly middle age men visting. Families and young people are not much in abundance compared to the older men. Sure, there might be good food, culture, etc., but we all know the real reason. You figure it out.
Thanks, that was pretty funny. To be fair, I have no idea about the Philippines, so I'll stick with Thailand. So, now you're saying they're mostly middle-age men? That's a switch from what you previously said, which was "Most tourists are old males"? There are a LOT of tourists in Thailand my friend. I doubt you've seen more than a micro-fraction of them, much less enough to say "most" of them. I don't doubt there are plenty, but how do you know how old most of them are? For that matter, how do you know that most of these old or middle-aged people are even tourists? There are a lot of expats that live in BKK and elsewhere around Thailand What's your source of information? Reference links, please! Otherwise, one can only conclude you're just making wild assumptions that may be unfounded.

The link below dates back to 2002. Here's what the TAT had to say about Tourist Arrivals by Age:
"There was also a slight difference of the 2 highest market shares of Tourist Arrivals by Age, which belonged to the 25-34-year-old group and the 35-44-year-old one, resulting in an average age of 39.61 years."

That's just a hair under middle age. Middle age is generally considered to start at age 40. Definitions do vary quite a bit though.
Scroll down to the bottom of the TAT link to Details on Tourists.
Tourism Authority of Thailand

If I can come across anything more current, I'll be happy to provide it for you. Or if you come up with any info that's more recent, that'd be great too. I'd be interested knowing.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
My wife and I have vacationed in BKK and other areas of Thailand and we love going there especially in winter. Excellent food, nice warm winters you can swim in, very friendly and accommodating people, great massages and everything at bargain prices. BKK seems a bit like a larger New Orleans (my hometown) with the attitude of partying, relaxing and attitude of fun but you don't have to worry about crime nearly as much in BKK as you do in Big Easy.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 PM

38 posts, read 68,400 times
Bangkok houses many corporate offices and headquarters. You may not be aware of this but whenever a new electronics product is release, Bangkok is one of the first places that has it. I'm talking laptops, phones, etc.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Bangkok is a world class city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia