Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 AM

490 posts, read 2,231,760 times

Advertisements

What are the mutual intelligibility between the Indian languages? Are they mutually intelligible with each other?

What are the mutual intelligibility between the Chinese languages? Are they mutually intelligible with each other?

Think of these as two separate questions. I know China and India are like two completely different worlds and cannot be compared with each other, but I didn't really want to make two separate threads about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 AM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post

What are the mutual intelligibility between the Chinese languages? Are they mutually intelligible with each other?
The short answer is: it depends. The definition of a "language" is not very clear here.
Beijing and Nanjing are largely mutually intelligible (You can check the map), but Nanjing and Shanghai are not.

Nowadays standard Mandarin is required in school so everyone under 60 years old understands it, even if not speaks it fluently.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
I should think there wouldn't be a need for English as an official language of government and education and the primary language of commerce if the Indian languages were mutually intelligible.

FWIW Hindi and Urdu are mutually intelligible.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,658,454 times
The main languages in India fall into two groups: Indo-European and Dravidian. The first group includes Hindi, the closest thing to a national lingua franca (along with English) which is actually the native language of the 'Hindi belt' of much of the Gangetic plain (think Delhi, Uttar Pradesh.etc). Gujarati and Marathi are similar and I believe somewhat mutually intelligible. Bengali, also IE, is more distant. The Dravidian languages of southern India like Malayee, Kanada and of course Tamil are a different story. Despite Sanskrit loanwords they are not intelligible with Hindi and use different writing systems.

In China due to government policy Mandarin, Putonghua, which developed among the mandarins of the court in Beijing, is spoken throughout China. I believe all schoolchildren are supposed to learn it. The largest minority languages, sometimes called 'dialects', are Yue (Cantonese) and the Min languages, including Minnan or Hokkien of Guangdong and Fujian provinces. They are not mutually intelligible with Mandarin. Neither is Wu, the local language of the Shanghai area. The written language, however, is the same, although some words are phonetically different.

That's the short answer.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 13,644 times
My first post here

There are four main language families in the world, and just from memory, classification is based on common roots/ancestors.

-> indo-european : hindi, gujarati, latin, greek .. pretty much all of north indian / european languages fall here

-> dravidian - spoken in southern india ( tamil, telugu , malayalam etc) .. believe there is a link to the sumerian languages

-> afro-asiatic : hebrew , arabic , turkic etc

- sino-tibetian - This is where chinese languages fall ( if i am not wrong)

So, for example, european/ north indian languages would have similar structure ( grammar ) and words would be similar or have a common root from which it was derived.

This would be one of the reasons why indian and chinese languages differ. because of the fundamental difference in structure.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:38 AM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueSkineed View Post
My first post here

There are four main language families in the world, and just from memory, classification is based on common roots/ancestors.

-> indo-european : hindi, gujarati, latin, greek .. pretty much all of north indian / european languages fall here

-> dravidian - spoken in southern india ( tamil, telugu , malayalam etc) .. believe there is a link to the sumerian languages

-> afro-asiatic : hebrew , arabic , turkic etc

- sino-tibetian - This is where chinese languages fall ( if i am not wrong)

So, for example, european/ north indian languages would have similar structure ( grammar ) and words would be similar or have a common root from which it was derived.

This would be one of the reasons why indian and chinese languages differ. because of the fundamental difference in structure.
Turkic languages are not Afro-Asiatic. They are Altaic, the same as Mongolian. It is suggested by some scholars that Korean and Japanese are Altaic too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia