Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I would go with no hesitation, I dont listen to all the anti China propaganda
Yeah most of it doesn't really have much relevance to the average traveller. If you're afraid of pollution just wear a mask like some of the locals do. It's not like cities in other countries aren't polluted too, it's almost everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 01:59 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I just recently heard about " Gutter Oil " being used for cooking in China, it is an oil from drainages. This is just too much. This is disgusting and I cannot believe people have to go this far to earn a living and that sellers of streetfood or restaurants would also go this far just to save a little more than buying regular cooking oil. This is just too much. It's totally scary !

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lJOLCvP...%3DlJOLCvPm5Dg
The far minority. It's like saying all of the Philippines is like the slums of Manila or that everyone in the US has a gun and is trigger-happy.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The far minority. It's like saying all of the Philippines is like the slums of Manila or that everyone in the US has a gun and is trigger-happy.
Why does it seem so common to have things like this in China ? There are dirty noodles underground, there are fetuses being cooked etc. etc.
A Chinese student of my sister ( already a career woman ) was the one who told us about this. She is even a Chinese herself living in China but doesn't deny this. She's not on denial like you.
We can never say anything about China because when ever we do, you always have to say something about Manila even though it definitely doesn't have anything to do with the topic. You're too obvious Oycrumbler !
Anyway, even if it is not everywhere, how are you going to be sure, this restaurant or streetfood doesn't use the Gutter Oil ?

Last edited by Hermosaa; 11-28-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Why does it seem so common to have things like this in China ? There are dirty noodles underground, there are fetuses being cooked etc. etc.
A Chinese student of my sister ( already a career woman ) was the one who told us about this. She is even a Chinese herself living in China but doesn't deny this. She's not on denial like you.
We can never say anything about China because when ever we do, you always have to say something about Manila even though it definitely doesn't have anything to do with the topic. You're too obvious Oycrumbler !
Anyway, even if it is not everywhere, how are you going to be sure, this restaurant or streetfood doesn't use the Gutter Oil ?
Because it's a developing country with over a 1,351 million people (4.3 times the population of the US, 14.7 times the population of the Philippines) with an increasingly strong and prevalent media presence due to massive expansions of telecommunications infrastructure and very affordable electronics. The chances of an incidence of pretty much any human act occurring in China is going to increase simply based on the number of people--think of every person as a roll of dice. However, ridiculous acts are going to catch online all the same. I'm mentioning Manila to try to put it into perspective for you, because you don't have much of a point of reference. It's math. It's hard for most people unfortunately.

Do you know how I avoid gutter oil? Don't go to ****ty hole in the wall restaurants and your chances of avoiding it become very, very good. Going to places that stay in business and have ample customers who won't have to resort to buying gutter oil on the cheap or have a stake in the game of staying in business rather than making a cheap buck will do it. It's kind of like how to avoid places that cook with old or grey meat in the US--those businesses generally don't stay up very long.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
On one of my early 90's trip to China, a tour guide took our group to a typical agricultural village near Guanzhou, and I'll never forget it, seeing this disgusting fish pond with polystyrene floating on the top of it with old bicycles dumped into it!

I'll never erase it from my mind and won't buy any fish from China to this day!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On one of my early 90's trip to China, a tour guide took our group to a typical agricultural village near Guanzhou, and I'll never forget it, seeing this disgusting fish pond with polystyrene floating on the top of it with old bicycles dumped into it!

That is disgusting. Why do they dump different things there if it is a fish pond ?

Old 11-28-2013, 08:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Yeah I went to an island off Vietnam and you could see a floating mass of rubbish in the sea, it was rather sad.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Yea, humanity has been a crap shepherd for the planet. There's that giant garbage patch floating in the pacific right now and it just keeps on growing.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:46 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Since I have already been to China twice and have seen the Great Wall, I personally have no particular incentive to go to China again at this time.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I don't mean to imply that all Chinese are xenophobic and racist, but compared to the USA, they're a lot more bigoted and racist. Hence my trepidation of me and my wife going, but Hong Kong and Taiwan would be cool.

I was looking up some travel guides to Taiwan lately. I'd love to see the modern mixed with the nature and of course hang with some of the natives. The new train system having English announcements is a plus, though I'd still bring a guidebook, and I'm hoping the kanji my wife knows would be close enough to decipher menus and stuff (I know maybe a dozen kanji, the important ones ... bathroom, woman, man, beer, water, food, etc). Also, much less of an issue with the "gutter oil" cooking there.

Hong Kong would be interesting because I would like to see what the last Asian outpost from the old English empire looks like. I imagine that after 17 years of re-integration it looks different than it did, but would still be pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia