Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think China made the strategic mistaking of encouraging private car ownership to spur the economy. Now everyone is hooked on the car culture and consider taking the subway, which is everywhere, a poor man's choice, just like in the US.

Except China has too many people to afford the car culture.
China also has vast millions of people who are literally too poor to afford a car...

SH, BJ, GZ, SZ, and some other major cities are now requiring people to either enter a lottery or pay a very stiff fee to get the plate for a car. We need to buy a van for my business, but the only guaranteed way to get it in GZ is to make a "donation" to the party of 35,000 RMB. Up until a few months ago, businesses could register a vehicle under their name without entering the lottery, but then lots of wealthy people established offices, dumped their cash into "company" bank accounts (the more money a business has, the more cars they are allowed), and then used that to register their five other MBZ's and Porsches, thus ruining it for everyone.

Because of this, we had planned to register it in her home village in Hunan, where we can pay 400 RMB and walk out with a plate... but, other people are doing this (they own a family home in another city or province, and just register the cars there), so now a quarter or so of the plates you see on the road in GZ are from elsewhere. They plan to implement a "term of stay" on cars into big cities, just like an expat would have for a visa... so, now, unless we can figure something else out, we will probably buy two vans, park one there, drive the other to GZ, and alternate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 PM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
We need to buy a van for my business, but the only guaranteed way to get it in GZ is to make a "donation" to the party of 35,000 RMB.
I remember it was around 50,000 RMB in Shanghai, back when I registered my car.

Quote:
Because of this, we had planned to register it in her home village in Hunan, where we can pay 400 RMB and walk out with a plate... but, other people are doing this (they own a family home in another city or province, and just register the cars there), so now a quarter or so of the plates you see on the road in GZ are from elsewhere. They plan to implement a "term of stay" on cars into big cities, just like an expat would have for a visa... so, now, unless we can figure something else out, we will probably buy two vans, park one there, drive the other to GZ, and alternate
Let us not look down on CCP. They always invent something new to make themselves convenient.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:

My understanding is that the Shanghai municipality has restricted the entry of vehicles with plates registered outside Shanghai to off hours, in order to control traffic, and to put a crimp in the practice of some Shanghai residents doing a "work-around" on the cost and availability of Shanghai vehicle registrations by registering their cars outside the city.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
For a moment i thought this was president obama's enviormentalist cult .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia