Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well it is possible that she just wasn't familiar with the English name 'Mexico'. I'm not sure but sometimes the Chinese have their own names for countries. For instance, when talking to someone with no or limited English my mother might mention 'Australia' (in Mandarin as she can speak it) and they might not get it, but then she says 'Outzo' or something like that, which I guess is the Chinese version of it or their word for it and they get it. Just like the fact Deutschland, Espana are more familiar to Germans, Spanish and those with very little awareness of the outside word aren't as familiar with the English names. Maybe less there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Chinese people who aren't that familiar with the name 'China' or Japanese with the name 'Japan.' How many people are familiar with 'Zhongguo' or 'Nippon'? How many English-speakers know that Thais don't call their capital Bangkok but 'Krung Thep'? Even with Europe ask people (say Americans) to tell you which countries Hvartska or Ceska are or which cities Firenze or Munchen are and they'll scratch their heads. Same deal for non-English speakers (where the name is different). Of course your Chinese friends might not actually even know there is a country called Mexico, that's a possibility, but this is another possibility.
This is a great point. I'm sure if a Chinese friend asks me to locate "Mei guo" on the world map I'll feel so lost ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Well I remember talking with some foreign eto hange students from China. I would say "Hi, how are you?". They would say "Good how are you?. Where are you from?" I told them I was born in Mexico, and she said "Mexico? Where is Mexico?". I've had another one say the same thing and even one say "What's a Mexico?". Mexico isn't a very important or big country nor is it influential. I don't want to come off as it's the best thing, because yeah there are problems. I was just amazed since Mexico is only just south of the world's largest economy.

I agree. Yes on average people don't know about these things outside of these forums. I remember when I was in Queretaro, this one old lady gave me and my family some small talk, and asked were we were from and we answered the state of Michoacan. She didn't even know where that was, even though Queretaro and Michoacan on the map are practically kissing each other. Although I do realize that in Mexico, up until recently, it was a feet to even make it as far as high school or middle school. You would see people who had a 3rd grade education or not even that!
I have known the Chinese word for Croatia since very young, but I got to know the English spelling when I was 28 years old.
All the names are taught in Chinese in chinese schools, and the pronunciations could be miles away...

Old 11-29-2013, 06:43 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,865 times
Interesting.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:01 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
the native americans also ate insects as a food source

Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the native americans also ate insects as a food source
This is exactly what I just said.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Mexico in Chinese is Moxige, pronounced muo-shi-guh

Yeah I would say Asians are like our distant brothers....or cousins. Mexicans eat rice too that's true. I thought it was normal in many countries though, I really like Chicken and rice.

I agree that many Mexicans do look like Asians. Also, there are some foods in different regions that even to some mexicans seem as very strange or bizzare.. Like in some places in central and southern mexico, people eat bugs and insects, especially grasshoppers. By the way, I think fried grasshoppers sound good, never tried them but I would like to eat them. hehe. But some of the foods may be good you just never know until you try...There are some places that eat like a type of white, small worms (can't remember what they're called)
I saw the bizarre foods episode on Mexican food and yes, it's not just tacos and nachos lol! The mosquito larvae pancakes and ants, interesting stuff. I was going to try a fried grasshopper at a stall in Thailand but chickened out...no way was I going to try the big cockroaches I saw though.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:24 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
Geography and World History are popular or must teach subjects in junior secondary schools of many British influenced education systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
This problem is all over the world. Geography isn't much of a popular subject for people in general. You have the same issues in U.S, Latin America, and Europe.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:47 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
"americans" are just as ignorant

an officemate once asked me where is Indiana

Old 08-01-2020, 12:02 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Oh, yeah, I know a Korean who doesn't even know there's a place called Vermont.

Actually, most people in Asia cannot even find Connecticut on the U.S map.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Oh, yeah, I know a Korean who doesn't even know there's a place called Vermont.

Actually, most people in Asia cannot even find Connecticut on the U.S map.
I remember reading something a few years ago written by an American expat in Japan who said that you knew you'd been abroad too long when "Vermont Curry" no longer struck you as weird...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia