Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:16 PM

485 posts, read 2,256,769 times

Advertisements

I've met many Chinese, Koreans and other Asians who didn't know where European countries like France were on a map, nor Brazil or Mexico. I think they could barely know where the US and UK was (other than their own country).

What appalled me the most is that they didn't even know some countries existed...No, I'm not talking about countries like Croatia, Rwanda, Botswana, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador,

I'm talking about that they didn't even know countries like Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Spain, South Africa existed!

I mean yes History and Geography may not be so "important" or "useful" but COME ON man... The ones who I saw were best at this were the Japanese and they were pretty good at even knowing where the small african, asian and european countries were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 PM

But yeah, I guess Mathematics and Physics are what's most important there probably.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 PM

37,376 posts, read 39,809,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
But yeah, I guess Mathematics and Physics are what's most important there probably.
Maybe. Were these recent arrivals? I tutored in various parts of the US, East Asia, and Southeast Asia. I didn't feel like people in East Asia or the rich kids in Southeast Asia were particularly bad with geography or history compared to the US students. They did know more about the geography and history of their own country and their own region in general though than they did about Europe or the Americas.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,346,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I've met many Chinese, Koreans and other Asians who didn't know where European countries like France were on a map, nor Brazil or Mexico. I think they could barely know where the US and UK was (other than their own country).

What appalled me the most is that they didn't even know some countries existed...No, I'm not talking about countries like Croatia, Rwanda, Botswana, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador,

I'm talking about that they didn't even know countries like Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Spain, South Africa existed!

I mean yes History and Geography may not be so "important" or "useful" but COME ON man... The ones who I saw were best at this were the Japanese and they were pretty good at even knowing where the small african, asian and european countries were.
That's true. They generally know nothing European geography. To be fair though, I've also spent some good time in Europe, and not many Europeans know much about Asia geography either.

But, quite consistently, Asians are MUCH MUCH worse with ALL geography. I've consistenly noticed in Korea and Japan, and now here in another part of Asia, that very very few can locate even the Philippines on a map, much less anywhere else. I just use Phils as an example, as you'd think they'd all quickly recognize it due to being 7000 islands, and just off the coast from China.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:30 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,891,876 times
Interesting, and these were educated, mostly urban people? Not knowing that Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Spain and South Africa exist sounds pretty weird, though. You must've met some villagers from rural China or something. Many Australians couldn't find France on a map either. But yeah, I think most people in the world aren't as geographically knowledgeable as the average person on the world forum in CD, even some who are quite educated. I don't think Asians are much less so than any other groups in my experience, when considering other regions.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:32 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,891,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's true. They generally know nothing European geography. To be fair though, I've also spent some good time in Europe, and not many Europeans know much about Asia geography either.

But, quite consistently, Asians are MUCH MUCH worse with ALL geography. I've consistenly noticed in Korea and Japan, and now here in another part of Asia, that very very few can locate even the Philippines on a map, much less anywhere else. I just use Phils as an example, as you'd think they'd all quickly recognize it due to being 7000 islands, and just off the coast from China.
My Vietnamese friend didn't even seem aware that Hainan island (a province of China that is very close to Vietnam) existed, or wasn't very familiar with it, and said that the Vietnamese weren't that familiar with it even though quite a few did visit China.

I find the lack of connection between Hainan and Vietnam a bit puzzling, actually. Hainan in general just seems so ignored.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:11 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,483,767 times
a lot of people from europe or south America think all asians are Chinese

and all asians speak some type of universal language and can understand each other

they think they are all the same

Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,492,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
a lot of people from europe or south America think all asians are Chinese

and all asians speak some type of universal language and can understand each other

they think they are all the same
Just like many Americans think all Latin Americans are Mexican and could not point out most Latin Americans countries on a map even though they are relatively close. Many people outside of Asia could not tell you where Vietnam and Korea are let alone Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. It's surprising when we see our shortcomings in others.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, and these were educated, mostly urban people? Not knowing that Brazil, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Spain and South Africa exist sounds pretty weird, though. You must've met some villagers from rural China or something. Many Australians couldn't find France on a map either. But yeah, I think most people in the world aren't as geographically knowledgeable as the average person on the world forum in CD, even some who are quite educated. I don't think Asians are much less so than any other groups in my experience, when considering other regions.
Well I remember talking with some foreign exchange students from China. I would say "Hi, how are you?". They would say "Good how are you?. Where are you from?" I told them I was born in Mexico, and she said "Mexico? Where is Mexico?". I've had another one say the same thing and even one say "What's a Mexico?". Mexico isn't a very important or big country nor is it influential. I don't want to come off as it's the best thing, because yeah there are problems. I was just amazed since Mexico is only just south of the world's largest economy.

I agree. Yes on average people don't know about these things outside of these forums. I remember when I was in Queretaro, this one old lady gave me and my family some small talk, and asked were we were from and we answered the state of Michoacan. She didn't even know where that was, even though Queretaro and Michoacan on the map are practically kissing each other. Although I do realize that in Mexico, up until recently, it was a feet to even make it as far as high school or middle school. You would see people who had a 3rd grade education or not even that!

Old 11-28-2013, 02:47 PM

and yeah, people from the US won't know a lot about geography either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia