Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I think Philippines is the only Spanish colony that doesn't give presents on the day of the Three Kings and I am sure it is because of American influence. The rest of the Spanish colonies and of course Madre Espana give their presents every Three Kings. In Spain, it is one of the biggest events and Jose Antonio said it is the same in Mexico and the rest of Latin America.
I think The Three Kings makes more sense than Santa Claus because they were the ones who gave the presents to Baby Jesus when he was born. We should have followed more this tradition than the Santa Claus tradition.
That makes sense (although it's debatable when exactly this day was. I don't think that's really that important ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
I think Philippines is the only Spanish colony that doesn't give presents on the day of the Three Kings and I am sure it is because of American influence. The rest of the Spanish colonies and of course Madre Espana give their presents every Three Kings. In Spain, it is one of the biggest events and Jose Antonio said it is the same in Mexico and the rest of Latin America.
I think The Three Kings makes more sense than Santa Claus because they were the ones who gave the presents to Baby Jesus when he was born. We should have followed more this tradition than the Santa Claus tradition.
Santa Claus is American Influence although we still celebrate the 3 kings but most people knew Santa Claus who give gifts instead of the 3 kings and I agree with you. 3 Kings makes more sense than Santa Claus or St. Nicholas.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,974 times
The Christmas spirit of kindness and giving has spread to a lot of countries and Asia is no exception.
While some may be ignorant of the religious origins, they understand it is a time to think of others and to be kind to others.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
The Christmas spirit of kindness and giving has spread to a lot of countries and Asia is no exception.
While some may be ignorant of the religious origins, they understand it is a time to think of others and to be kind to others.
That's what they say, but I wonder if people are any different during Christmas. Plus shouldn't we be kind to others all year round, not just at Christmas?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM

I like the colorful decoration and lights all over the street and houses as well as buildings and love to listen to Filipino Christmas songs. Our church used to play a very loud Filipino Christmas songs which you'll hear all over the town during the Misa de Gallo and all the people just walk towards the church even if they live far away from the Church because it's more exciting than riding a car hehe and those Filipino Christmas food aroma.

because in the Philippines the weather is cold during December. There's a lot of event during Christmas that's why most of us would like to spend Christmas in the Philippines. lol.. well I have to hide to some of my god Children during Christmas hahaha...asking for 'Aguinaldo'

Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 AM

Another event in the Philippines during Christmas is the 'Giant Lantern Festival' in Pampanga

Quote:
The Giant Lantern Festival is an annual festival held in December (Saturday before Christmas Eve) in the City of San Fernando in the Philippines. The festival features a competition of giant lanterns. Because of the popularity of the festival, the city has been nicknamed the "Christmas Capital of the Philippines".

This predecessor of the modern day Giant Lantern Festival was actually a religious activity which we know today as “lubenas.” The lanterns measured just two feet in diameter, a far cry from the fifteen feet that we see today. These were created in each barrio from bamboo and other locally available materials. During the nine-day novena before Christmas, which coincided with the simbang gabi from December 16 to 24, these paruls were brought around each barrio in procession to their visita. Before the midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, the lanterns were brought to the town church together with the barrio patrons.

Giant Lantern Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some parts of the Philippines Pastores A Belen presentation

Quote:
Pastores de Belen (Spanish for "Shepherds of Bethlehem") is a traditional dramatic representation of the shepherds' adoration of the Christ-Child. Singing and dancing from one house to another is usually part of the ritual, though in Cavite and Bulacan the presentation is done on stage or in the churchyard. The actors playing the shepherds are usually children or women, and usually they wear costumes. In Bicol, the pastores are especially colorfully dressed. Most of them are female and wear full skirts, round-necked blouses with puffed sleeves, and wide-brimmed hats. The men and boys wear long-sleeved shirts, breast and waist bands, and decorated hats. The entire group is dressed in one color -- either red, blue, or green. They are accompanied by a band and go from house to house singing Spanish and Bicolano carols while dancing, and are given money and food by homeowners. Pastores contests are held on stage in Legazpi, Albay to keep this tradition alive.
http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.ph...tores_de_Belen

Panunuluyan Presentation (Los Posadas)

Caroling

Misa de Gallo

^9 Midnight Masses

Quote:
Misa del Gallo or Missa do Galo (which literally translates to rooster's mass) is the Roman Catholic mass celebrated around midnight of Christmas Eve. It is also known as “Misa de los Pastores” or “shepherd's mass” in Spanish and “Missa do Galo” in Portuguese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misa_de_Gallo

Barangay Street Parties (All over the Philippines)

Games, Dancing and Singing, Gift Giving etc.

But the best and more important is to celebrate with the whole family.

Last edited by pinai; 12-02-2013 at 01:36 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
How often do you come home ?
Since there is no spirit of Christmas where I am, I always try to come home every Christmas. It is the most important occasion for me that's why I never want to miss it.
I hope you can spend Christmas in the Philippines next year
The last Christmas I celebrated in the Philippines was 2004. Hopefully, next year. I miss the Christmas and New Year back home.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Asians? Christmas?? Funny, I thought this thread was going to be about how Asians celebrate New Year in their respective countries.
Philippines New Year celebration

Firecrackers/Pyromusical

yearly event in Mall of Asia

Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
In Indonesia Christmas is practiced well but not as much as Philippines, though it is a national holiday. In Indonesia all the 6 official religion is recognized and all their important days are counted as a national holiday even for the Buddhist minority that consist only 1% of the total population. Shops and some streets are decorated with lights and fireworks are played during and after Christmas eve (please understand that this only applies in areas where Christian make significant minority) Malls usually are decorated in superbly extravagant Christmas furbishes and some offers a Santa sleigh for the kids.

The people usually just go to church and had a formal dinner, dramas of Jesus's birth usually are played in churches and television channels.

Anyway we have an opening night event of Jakarta Christmas city which is pretty cool:

Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 AM

^In New Year's eve in the Philippines. It is safe to just stay in the house lol. We used to go to church on New Year's eve but after the mass. lol too many firecrackers.

^Specially this Judas belt (Sinturon ni Hudas) firecrackers

The Native Bamboo Cannon is the traditional fireworks
in the Philippines, Harmless

after fireworks display. We'll eat Media Noche with the whole family
Some put 12 different round fruits on the table.

Last edited by pinai; 12-04-2013 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia