Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 06:42 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times

Advertisements

My perspective is only Singapore based. Anti Japanese sentiment is mostly age related. There's still a sizeable population in their 80's and beyond who have personal experience with Japanese repression.

Many of the older folks, the pioneer generation, remember Sook Ching and relatives who disappeared and were murdered in the round ups of young Chinese men. They remember the public executions and the heads displayed near the Cathay Hotel and other places.

For the younger generation it's mostly a non issue. Most of them have no knowledge whatsoever of the Japanese occupation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
My perspective is only Singapore based. Anti Japanese sentiment is mostly age related. There's still a sizeable population in their 80's and beyond who have personal experience with Japanese repression.

Many of the older folks, the pioneer generation, remember Sook Ching and relatives who disappeared and were murdered in the round ups of young Chinese men. They remember the public executions and the heads displayed near the Cathay Hotel and other places.

For the younger generation it's mostly a non issue. Most of them have no knowledge whatsoever of the Japanese occupation.
Yep. My grandparents lived through that time but they didn't talk much about it. My grandfather had some traumatic experiences with the Japanese and understandably has some resentment towards them. It would hard not to I suppose if you saw your fellow countrymen being massacred.

Even more recent conflicts, like the Vietnam War, seem quickly forgotten by those too young to remember. Maybe a lot of their parents don't want to bring up those memories from the past to their children.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thanks for a good joke
Do you have any idea how quickly the Chinese illegal sources of Japanese dramas/mangas/animes translate the language then put it on the internet so every Chinese(and Taiwanese lol,the language barrier doesn't exist when it comes to these stuffs) citizen can watch them immediately without knowing a single Japanese word?And in Baidu,people talk about Japanese stuffs all the time?

And I should've elaborate more specifically.Yeah the anti Japanese sentiment is somehow age related,but the difference between Taiwan and the rest of the Asian countries is that Taiwanese elders tend to be nostalgic to the colonized era because Japanese sort of tidied things up and the public security improved greatly,while the others resent Japan for their invasions.

Another indication of the amicable relations between Taiwan and Japan is the donation to the earthquake a few years ago.With a relatively small population,Taiwan donated more money than any other country in the world,even US.Japan still thanks Taiwan every March 11th since then.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Do you have any idea how quickly the Chinese illegal sources of Japanese dramas/mangas/animes translate the language then put it on the internet so every Chinese(and Taiwanese lol,the language barrier doesn't exist when it comes to these stuffs) citizen can watch them immediately without knowing a single Japanese word?And in Baidu,people talk about Japanese stuffs all the time?

And I should've elaborate more specifically.Yeah the anti Japanese sentiment is somehow age related,but the difference between Taiwan and the rest of the Asian countries is that Taiwanese elders tend to be nostalgic to the colonized era because Japanese sort of tidied things up and the public security improved greatly,while the others resent Japan for their invasions.

Another indication of the amicable relations between Taiwan and Japan is the donation to the earthquake a few years ago.With a relatively small population,Taiwan donated more money than any other country in the world,even US.Japan still thanks Taiwan every March 11th since then.
You're confusing Japanese popular culture with traditional culture. I thought you meant traditional culture like 孔子. That's why I said thanks for a good joke.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 AM

Oh yeah,sure.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah,sure.
I have a friend from New Taipei here, and he also says Taiwanese like anime a lot. He doesn't, but a lot of people do. Do you speak Taiwanese too?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 AM

Yeah sure.My Taiwanese is better than my English by a huge margin lol.
Taiwanese people are generally very fond of Japan,and animation is a major part of its cultural influence.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah sure.My Taiwanese is better than my English by a huge margin lol.
Taiwanese people are generally very fond of Japan,and animation is a major part of its cultural influence.
I've noticed that. My two Taiwanese friends that live near me like Japan and visited there several times. My Chinese and Korean friends, though, hate the Japanese government, but not the citizens of Japan.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:56 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have a friend from New Taipei here, and he also says Taiwanese like anime a lot. He doesn't, but a lot of people do. Do you speak Taiwanese too?
I saw quite a large anime/Japanese pop culture store in Taipei.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM

440 posts, read 662,218 times
In most or all areas occupied by the Japanese, the younger generation heard some stories from the older generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia