Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
HK and Macau have been reunified with the Mainland. They are doing much better than Taiwan. When HK returned to Mainland in 1997, HK and Taiwan were of similar stages of economic development. Look at them now. HK may be twice as rich as Taiwan, and Macau three times richer.
Er, seriously? They're unified in name only, they still operate as separate sovereign nations. Thank God they weren't fully incorporated after the handover...HK is hard to compare to Taiwan, it's basically a city-state like Singapore, a centre of wealth. Taiwan's GDP per person has already exceeded South Korea and is approaching that of Japan. Go to Taipei and you will see it's as clean, modern and prosperous as HK, Seoul, Singapore, Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
HK and Macau have been reunified with the Mainland. They are doing much better than Taiwan. When HK returned to Mainland in 1997, HK and Taiwan were of similar stages of economic development. Look at them now. HK may be twice as rich as Taiwan, and Macau three times richer.
Totally ignorant comment tbh.

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times
I am fine that you hate mainlanders. And most mainlanders really do not care what is happening in your tiny island. Just like a guy from New York or LA does not really care what is happening in Hawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I'm rolling my eyes.
Whatever,I'm tired arguing with you.This is exactly why Taiwanese hate Mainlanders.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I am fine that you hate mainlanders. And most mainlanders really do not care what is happening in your tiny island. Just like a guy from New York or LA does not really care what is happening in Hawaii.
If you don't care why do you feel so strongly Taiwan should be part of China again?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM

Sorry my friend. Most of the mainlanders who have a trip in Taibei would rather have an impression that it is a backward place compared to Shanghai or Beijing.

Most rich Taiwanese are busying making money with Mainland. there are so many Taiwanese business men settling in Shanghai, and they will not go back to their backward island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Er, seriously? They're unified in name only, they still operate as separate sovereign nations. Thank God they weren't fully incorporated after the handover...HK is hard to compare to Taiwan, it's basically a city-state like Singapore, a centre of wealth. Taiwan's GDP per person has already exceeded South Korea and is approaching that of Japan. Go to Taipei and you will see it's as clean, modern and prosperous as HK, Seoul, Singapore, Tokyo.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM

I also don't care about Yunnan or other faraway provinces. But they are just part of China. No question about it.

Quote:
If you don't care why do you feel so strongly Taiwan should be part of China again?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 AM

Many mailand cities are much better off than your tiny island. I know it is hard to acknowledge but it is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Totally ignorant comment tbh.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry my friend. Most of the mainlanders who have a trip in Taibei would rather have an impression that it is a backward place compared to Shanghai or Beijing.

Most rich Taiwanese are busying making money with Mainland. there are so many Taiwanese business men settling in Shanghai, and they will not go back to their backward island.
I saw a group of mainlanders at Alishan. They were loud and boisterous, singing loudly etc...quite a contrast to the rather mild-mannered Taiwanese.

Have you even been to Taipei? Anyone who's been could hardly call it backwards...Taipei is one of the most wired, modern cities in the world. Plus there isn't the same level of poverty you find in Shanghai or Beijing.

Taiwan was one of the four Asian 'tigers' and is still doing well. Now you're just sounding like you want a pissing contest.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I also don't care about Yunnan or other faraway provinces. But they are just part of China. No question about it.
Taiwan has never been part of the People's Republic of China.

I don't even see what great benefit including Taiwan would have for the PRC...

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
From now I will only directly respond to you,not that blind moron.

The situations in Hong Kong and Macau have seriously deteriorated ever since the CEPA was signed in 2008.The gap between the rich and poor has widened significantly,the Mainlanders are everywhere and pooping around the streets,and the freedom of speech has awfully worsened.Check the press freedom of Hong Kong over the years,it has gone from the best in the whole Asia to somewhere like 70th in the entire world.

People in Hong Kong and Macau HATE Mainland China right now,and they have been supporting the protests in Taiwan these months.

Umm I'd have to disagree with you on the GDP per capita part,I don't think it's very accurate tbh,the salary has downgraded to a decade ago ever since Ma's years in office.The economy growth of Taiwan has come to a dilemma and KMT has 0 intention of solving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia