Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh you mean like that. Go to war over what is basically a hit to Chinese pride? I mean it basically is already independence, China has no real control or influence except as a big stand-over man type figure. I don't see why China is so crazy about old territorial claims over Taiwan. Why not try to invade Mongolia then, since the ROC controlled it before the PRC?
Honestly I really think we should stop arguing with them.It's no use,I think it's very clear how absolutely brainwashed these people are.
I know it's hard not to,but we should try to ignore them,then this thread would go down to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,936 times
I think you should make a distinction between China and PRC. PRC does not have much control over Taiwan, but still Taiwan is part of CHina.

Do you even know that a lot of Taiwanese wants to reclaim the Mainland. They do not give up that dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh you mean like that. Go to war over what is basically a hit to Chinese pride? I mean it basically is already independence, China has no real control or influence except as a big stand-over man type figure. I don't see why China is so crazy about old territorial claims over Taiwan. Why not try to invade Mongolia then, since the ROC controlled it before the PRC?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:54 AM

Oh we sure as hell have given up that stupid dream.You can have the big ****ty land,we don't give a crap about that.
The only people that day dreamt about it have either died or pretty close to be dead,we can live without them tbqh.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,936 times
I don't have any desire to argue with a guy so brainwashed as you.

If you want independance, you have your opinion. But it is not gonna happen. As easy as that. You can keep bashing China, and no one in China really cares. We will just develop the economy and strengthen the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Honestly I really think we should stop arguing with them.It's no use,I think it's very clear how absolutely brainwashed these people are.
I know it's hard not to,but we should try to ignore them,then this thread would go down to the bottom.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:57 AM

^Then why are we even having this argument?You are the one that started the whole "Taiwanese is Chinese" bull****.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I think you should make a distinction between China and PRC. PRC does not have much control over Taiwan, but still Taiwan is part of CHina.

Do you even know that a lot of Taiwanese wants to reclaim the Mainland. They do not give up that dream.
There's no way Taiwan will 'reclaim' the mainland, so they should give up that dream. These are mostly those that came with the KMT, anyway.

I think it's better to have more than one Chinese speaking state anyway. There are several English, Spanish, French speaking states, why not another Chinese/Mandarin speaking state? Singapore doesn't count, English is still Singapore's primary language.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It won't need to spend any money on defense, for example. It will have full access to China market. In the future, people there can claim they are from the most powerful nation in the world...

These things may or may not be important, depending on your ideology.
I think that concerns about being a citizen of the most powerful nation on earth are bigger concerns to people from the US, China, Russia, to a lesser extent the UK and India... basically, nations that are past, present, or emerging superpowers. To smaller countries that never really had a stake to it in the first place but have good economies and have made significant progress on their own, its less of a concern; I think the bigger concern is a loss of autonomy. Taiwan is already doing just fine in the global economy, and while a return to China certainly would not hurt its reach, again people will look at what their current situation is, what their future prospects are, what they could stand to lose, and weigh all that.

I think that the older generation, many of whom were either alive during the KMT's control of China or right after its ousting, are more likely to support a reunification with China, but on Taiwan's terms, which obviously run counter to the CCP's. The younger generation is, in my experience, less concerned with issues of reunification and more in line with ideas of total independence since they've only ever known Taiwan to be Taiwan. Many mainland Chinese don't understand why Taiwan doesn't want to simply rejoin China since it has grown so much so fast in the last two decades and is on an upward trajectory, but lack the outside perspective of the Taiwanese. The Taiwanese don't hardly see China as an enemy or adversary and are awarethat they are culturally and ethnically Chinese, they just have a different national identity that they don't want to give up.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
I don't have any desire to argue with a guy so brainwashed as you.

If you want independance, you have your opinion. But it is not gonna happen. As easy as that. You can keep bashing China, and no one in China really cares. We will just develop the economy and strengthen the country.
Never say never. Besides, many Taiwanese are content with the way things are.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that concerns about being a citizen of the most powerful nation on earth are bigger concerns to people from the US, China, Russia, to a lesser extent the UK and India... basically, nations that are past, present, or emerging superpowers. To smaller countries that never really had a stake to it in the first place but have good economies and have made significant progress on their own, its less of a concern; I think the bigger concern is a loss of autonomy. Taiwan is already doing just fine in the global economy, and while a return to China certainly would not hurt its reach, again people will look at what their current situation is, what their future prospects are, what they could stand to lose, and weigh all that.

I think that the older generation, many of whom were either alive during the KMT's control of China or right after its ousting, are more likely to support a reunification with China, but on Taiwan's terms, which obviously run counter to the CCP's. The younger generation is, in my experience, less concerned with issues of reunification and more in line with ideas of total independence since they've only ever known Taiwan to be Taiwan. Many mainland Chinese don't understand why Taiwan doesn't want to simply rejoin China since it has grown so much so fast in the last two decades and is on an upward trajectory, but lack the outside perspective of the Taiwanese. The Taiwanese don't hardly see China as an enemy or adversary and are awarethat they are culturally and ethnically Chinese, they just have a different national identity that they don't want to give up.

^Yeah "in the future people there can claim they are from the most powerful nation in the world" is one of the stupidest "benefits" I've ever heard about unification.
And I don't think I can explain how Taiwanese feel about Taiwan better than you.That's about perfectly correct.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
I don't know much about Taiwan and china reunification issue, but seems like an intense keyboard war over here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia