Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post
I have noticed a shocking move by my grandma was before she died,she still had her son and two daughters and the whole family still hating the Japanese,this year in a family gathering when I announced that in the near future I am planning on dating a Japanese lady and that if the marriage happens I plan on hoping that I will have a child whether a boy or daughter,it will be half Japanese and half Chinese,when my family heard it,they yelled at me for being a traitor,when I told them my opinion of forgive and forget,they got more mad,I like to know why elements of the Chinese still hating the Japanese,its just wrong
Because, prior to their attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese moved to invade and take over vasts areas of
Asia. They invaded parts of China and conducted some of the most horrid and atrocious raids and murdered tens of thousands of Chinese. They tore down and took back to Japan entire factories and enslaved Chinese workers to do the effort.

Go to https://www.google.com/search?q=chin...ient=firefox-a and pick your choice of any to see just what atrocities they were responsible for.

Believe it or not, it was due to the Japanese that Ho Chi Minh came to the US to offer his forces to fight against the Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:21 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Movies and tv drama on the war against Japan are broadcasted in China on different tv channels, in the morning, afternoon, evening and mid-night. There is no opinion in China to discourage the production and broadcast of them. Incidents in history, Pesonal experience of the war-time Chinese people, Japanese as bad guys hostile to the Chinese in the movies and tv drama are the elements for the dislike of Japanese.

Although the people of HK, Macau and Taiwan do not dislike the Japanese as much as the Mainlanders, they do regard the Japanese as wrong in World War 2 and Japan claiming Diaoyu Islands as Japan's territory.
I saw a documentary about the Japanese invasion/occupation of Hong Kong, and the 'battle of Hong Kong.' Many of the old Hong Kongers who fought were still pretty bitter towards the Japanese.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Many in the US and the West in general do not understand that the feelings toward Japan remain strong in China and Korea due in large part to Japan's own huSure, there are many kind and generous Japanese people, so this feeling should be tempered. But the reality is that the Japanese government, especially now that Japan is in decline, is increasingly resorting to using nationalism and the manipulation of American might under their mutual defense treaty to get its way. Japan has always desired to be the dominant country in Asia, and that hasn't fade away with two atomic blasts.

Iris Chang's "Rape of Nanking" is a good book to get all the details and the gory pictures.

China, on the otherhand, is rapidly recovering its strength that was lost 200 years ago. Much of Chinese "aggression" is focused on fixing what it perceives to be histrical wrongs....like recovering Hong Kong, claiming Taiwan island, and now demanding negotiation over the Diao Yus (it is the Japanese who are refusing to even consider these islands contested!). The Chinese ADIZ is only in response, 44 years late, to an aggressive Japanese ADIZ that came right up to the Chinese coats near Shanghai!

My suggestion is that both China and Japan dismantled their respective ADIZ zones, and sit down and negotiate a joint ownership and administration of the Diao Yus. This is the only way out of a tough situation because the Chinese are not going to back down anymore. Otherwise, time is on China's side (Japan will only get relatively weaker over time, and the US may not be counted on to always back it up), and the Chineses will take over the Diao Yus unilaterally. It will be wiser for Japan to negotiate now than later.

But I dont think Abe is capable of this kind of strategic thinking...he is only a right wing politician. Historically, Japan is great at details, but does very poorly with grand strategies. This is why it sneak attacked Pearl Harbor, and this is why it lost the Pacific War (thank goodness).

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM

I meant "hubris" in the first sentence....proof reading in the morning is difficult.

"Coast" in the 2nd paragraph.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
My wife is Chinese, from the mainland having only been here in the US for the past 10 years. She is 33 years old. She and most her age back home absolutely hate the Japanese- using every opportunity to talk down about even the dumbest things, like how Japanese women look, etc. I know it is based on the horrible aggression by Japan in WWII, but I find it ridiculous that this hatred is fanned still today- it does nobody any good. The young Japanese people of today had nothing to do with the things that happened in WWII, they were not even alive then, so why hate them for it? The Chinese government fans those flames in a big way, fueling that hatred. The fact is the Japanese people of today are kind, friendly, respectful people- and do not deserve the hatred they get from so many Chinese.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM

409 posts, read 497,865 times
A variety of reasons, while the Chinese may have legitimate grievances with regards to what the Japanese did back in WW2, they have blown some things out of proportion for propaganda purposes.

For example, the Textbook issue, protests and riots spread because of ONE textbook, that has since only been used in .039% of Japanese Schools (all private schools), in part by extensive lobbying by the Japanese Teachers Union.

For the most part, the problem with Japan's historical education probably lies more with the students as they study for the "test". If WW2 is not going to be on their college entrance exams, even if their teachers teach them, they are more liable to just go "I don't give a **** about this" and forget.

Yasukuni is a bit of a sticky issue mainly because it has since morphed into this Right-Wing litmus test. While it is the only shrine left to honor ALL of Japan's 2.5million war dead but that meaning seems to have morphed as only LDP members from really conservative districts actually visit. The Imperial Household doesn't even visit it anymore.

Most Chinese however, ignore the countless non-redacted, official apologies made by former PMs and passed by the Diet. That their government waived reparations from Japan when offered and even still, billions of dollars of ODP aid is still provided by Japan since the 70s to their countries.

Personally, I think the Senkaku/Diaoyu issue to be quite petty. Japan claimed it via western standards (i.e. Imperial China claimed it b/c of course all under the heavens belonged to the Son of Heaven, but in actuality, China excerted no obvious control over the islands, hence its incorporation via Terra Nullis into the former Japanese empire while the Chiense claim it was taken via Treaty of Shinomoseki). This issue has again morphed into something completely different as China would far prefer having territorial control up to the "1st Island Chain" while for the US and Japan, having access to such a thorn in the Chinese side is useful.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM

He said, she said....it's all fine and the Japanese are fine people, I am sure. The fact is that most Americans are ok with Japan taking Chinese soil because , hay, it's an ally/lapdog doing the taking, right? Now that China has finally grown a pair and crated an ADIZ that the Japanese (and Americans) have had for more than 40years....OMG, dooms day and "destabilizing"!

Sure, China wants to change the status quo! Why wouldnt it? it used to be a poor and weak country. It's still relatively poor today, but it's hardly weak anymore. So things do change, and things will continue to change for the better for China. Get used to it.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Why do I have the feeling Op is about 19-21 years old and feels the need to be rebellious? Or attention seeking. No wonder no ome is taking him seriously lol

Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
My wife is Chinese, from the mainland having only been here in the US for the past 10 years. She is 33 years old. She and most her age back home absolutely hate the Japanese- using every opportunity to talk down about even the dumbest things, like how Japanese women look, etc. I know it is based on the horrible aggression by Japan in WWII, but I find it ridiculous that this hatred is fanned still today- it does nobody any good. The young Japanese people of today had nothing to do with the things that happened in WWII, they were not even alive then, so why hate them for it? The Chinese government fans those flames in a big way, fueling that hatred. The fact is the Japanese people of today are kind, friendly, respectful people- and do not deserve the hatred they get from so many Chinese.
^ A very good friend of mine who's an ABC used to have a fervent, irrational, seething, fiery hatred of the Japanese and would do the same thing... any time Japan came up in conversation, she wouldn't hesitate to remind everyone what they did during WW2. She would say that Japanese women were "pedophile cute" while Chinese women were "exquisitely beautiful," stuff like that... her grandmother survived the Manchurian campaign during WW2 and, understandably, hated the Japanese; however, her father was a businessman who had spent lots of time in Japan with her mom, and they had nothing against the Japanese; they had Japanese family friends and to a large degree, that was how they got enough money to move to the US and prosper here. It was only after she took the Asian/minority studies battery in college that she chilled out and addressed her own prejudice.

What Japan did to China historically was indeed awful, but the Japanese government has apologized for its transgressions, as have plenty of Japanese individuals. The vast bulk of Japanese and Chinese alive today were born well after WW2, and likely have seldom if ever been wronged by a person of the other nationality. This animosity is pointless and does no one any favors. Bickering over the semantics of an apology as though it will bring back the dead and turn back the clock seventy-five years... no, it won't. Time to move on. China has a booming economy and, in many ways, a brighter future than Japan does; why hound the grandchildren to apologize for what the grandfather did?

I use this litmus test with fellow Americans who hate Arabs or Mexicans: you probably live in an area that's mostly white, yes? You probably went to a school that was mostly white, yes? You probably work with people who are mostly white, yes? Most of your friends are probably white, yes? If that's the case, then go back over the course of your life, and think of your childhood arch-nemesis; your first romantic rival; that backstabber at work; the friends who betrayed you; those reptilian businessmen and politicians that make navigating through the American economy a feast-or-famine minefield...how many of them are Arabs or Mexicans? It's the same case with people in China who go off on "The Japanese" - how many Japanese people have ever wronged you? Probably none, maybe one or two. How many Chinese people have wronged you?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Americans and Chinese are just different in many ways.
Some (not all) Chinese still hate Manchus, hate Genghis Khan, etc., which may sound ridiculous to Americans.

To put it in a bad way, Americans are descendants of those who betrayed their original nations.
Chinese like history and are good at it. The culture emphasizes loyalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia