Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Was it? It can be hard to keep them straight at times.
Heh, it's been a week...

Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Heh, it's been a week...
Two possibilities:
A.They haven't been online for a week
B.They are speechless

Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Two possibilities:
A.They haven't been online for a week
B.They are speechless

They've definitely been online in that time, I've seen a few of their posts.

Whatevs.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:40 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Why do you geniuses always assume that I am a guy? Just because I have the galls to call out your Tibet freak rants?

Talk about internalized sexism....

Speaking of which, the Tibetan lamas had along history before the revolution of keeping private little boys and girls harems for their intimate pleasures. These kids were rewarded with enlightenment.....

Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why do you geniuses always assume that I am a guy? Just because I have the galls to call out your Tibet freak rants?

Speaking of which, the Tibetan lamas had along history before the revolution of keeping private little boys and girls harems for their intimate pleasures. These kids were rewarded with enlightenment.....
The master of deflection graces us once more! Notice my generally referring to you as "they" as opposed to "he?" Sorry for my slip; as a male, I feel your opinions are more in line with the blind nationalism nations tend to instill in their adolesent males for the purposes of militarism. Male or female, it's juvenile and shows a lack of critical thought or rationalism.

I've already stated that I take the Chinese side of the argument in Tibet more than the Free Tibet side. You're down 2 for 2 on this one, sorry.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post

So pathetic.Now I'm speechless because I'm too busy laughing lmfao.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:58 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Free tibet!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM

96 posts, read 124,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by np6888 View Post
If the Europeans hadn't conquered America, the Nazis and the Japanese probably would have wiped you out. The fact is that while killing the Indians was bad, it was pretty much a necessary evil(and either the Nazis or Japanese would have wiped out the Indians eventually anyway).
This is the stupidest argument I have ever read on this forum. Period.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 PM

96 posts, read 124,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
LOL. I doubt more than 5% of westerners who just love to talk about Taiwan's separation know about this fact. They usually jump to conclusions based on what they read on their highly biased media, instead of based on objective reading and research.

for most of these people, their logic is: China is "communist" (whatever it really means, since our media says it is bad) and the CCP is eveil (among other issues such as pollution, lack of democracy, cheap labour ect), therefore China is evil. So it is a good idea for Taiwan/HK/Tibet or whoever wants independence to separate. This forum is full of ignorant posts like these.
I don't think ROC constitution actually contains an article about the capital. Since the 1990s, ROC is pretty much only concerned with their small island and have long given up the ambition of recovering the mainland.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
I don't think ROC constitution actually contains an article about the capital. Since the 1990s, ROC is pretty much only concerned with their small island and have long given up the ambition of recovering the mainland.
The Constitution does contain and article about the capital,and it's indeed Nankin,but the situation is far more complicated than "Taiwanese don't want to be independent".

The general belief is that China's gonna invade Taiwan if we modify the Constitution about the territory of ROC and the capital because that equals nominally separating with China.So Nankin remains our capital and Mongolia remains our territory in the Constitution.

Such idea didn't pop out of nowhere because when we had our first directly presidential election in 1996,PRC was very angry that they fired several missiles to the Taiwan strait.It didn't really make any difference though,other than helping Lee to get even more votes and US sending out their aircraft carrier to the strait to help defending the island.

Then in 2004,China passed a bill called Anti-Secession Law,it states that
Quote:
the State shall use non-peaceful and other necessary means under these alternative conditions: (1) if "Taiwan independence" forces, under whatever name and method, accomplish the fact of Taiwan's separation from China, (2) or if a major event occurs which would lead to Taiwan's separation from China, (3) or if all possibility of peaceful unification is lost.
This bill didn't really make any difference(yet) as well other than triggering the 228 Hand-in-Hand Rally(like the one took place in Baltic States in Soviet era,it was really cool),and secured Chen's another four years in the office.

Most of the Taiwanese would love to see Taiwan to become an independent country,OR at least don't want to unify with China.Those that say "most Taiwanese people are immigrants and refugees came from China in 1949" have absolutely no clue.Even decades ago,those Chinese only made up about 15% of the population at most,now they are all either dead or pretty close to be dead.
However KMT has always been in power,due to the massive property and wealth of the party,the pathetic political culture in Taiwan(there's this term called 樁腳 in Mandarin and Taiwanese,it basically means that some certain supporters of KMT would do everything they could to secure the votes by receiving certain benefits.They are usually some "respected" or rich inhabitants in the neighborhoods.By "everything they could",it means bribery and threatening),many citizens that only care about how the candidates look or the "vibe",and PRC's manipulation.The election has never been very fair.And Ma has been pushing us to the path of unification.He's also the chief of KMT now,which means that every member has to listen to him or they'd be kicked out of the party.(Not that other members are any better though)

When China was very weak and Taiwan was booming in the 70s,we had numerous chances of gaining independence,but Chiang turned down all of them,because it'd be "humiliating" for them to be in the UN and any other international organizations with PRC.Back in 1971 when PRC was about to replace ROC's seat in the UN,both the US and Saudi Arabia provided ways for Taiwan to stay in the organization(China would replace ROC's seat in Security council while Taiwan would just become a normal member).However Chiang declined the offers from both.He was a dictator,so no one could disagree with him.**** him.

Did I mention that the murderous father and son have gigantic memorial halls?Transitional justice seems like a fantasy here.

The political status of Taiwan is one of the most complicated and dangerous issues in the international community in current years.There are different angles to look into the issue,and you'd get different answers.Most of the rest of the world are on the side of that Taiwan's legal status is still undecided because Japan only "gave up" the sovereignty of Taiwan without saying who'd receive the island in San Francisco Peace Treaty,so they can remain unofficial relations with us,and that's how the US could bring Taiwan Relations Act into power,the bill would be a clear violation to international law if Taiwan is actually a part of China.

The principle of self-determination is the only way out.It's jus cogens,and Taiwan has been a sovereign entity for more than 70 years now,which fits the criteria of self-determination by all means,however since China is extremely powerful now,nobody would support us even if KMT isn't currently in power.Chen tried,then US was terrified.
Actually independence is not really that big a deal.It's more sentimental than practical,we can totally don't give a crap about China by not mentioning independence and do our own trading and stuffs,but unification is just intolerable for most Taiwanese,however Ma has been moving closer and closer to that hell hole ever since he has been in office.

Whatever.I've been feeling very hopeless and helpless for months,the situation can get any worse anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia