Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:05 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
LOL, Hanoi French Quarter. That's just 1 section. The rest is heavily Chinese influenced. I still see Chinese character's in certain areas.

Heck, Vietnam at one point use to use Chinese Characters. A lot of Vietnamese words today derived from Chinese words.

Every Vietnamese restaurant I would go to I would see 70% Chinese influenced food.
There is plenty of French colonial architecture throughout Vietnam, and Laos, and Cambodia.

Anyways, I guess you are trying to state that Vietnam=China. My direct experience is that Vietnam doesn't equal China.

Having spent a lot of time in both countries, Vietnam has a different culture, a different language, a different cuisine, a different feel, and a different architectural look as well.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,164,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
LOL, Hanoi French Quarter. That's just 1 section. The rest is heavily Chinese influenced. I still see Chinese character's in certain areas.

Heck, Vietnam at one point use to use Chinese Characters. A lot of Vietnamese words today derived from Chinese words.

Every Vietnamese restaurant I would go to I would see 70% Chinese influenced food.
Your ethnocentric post is not helpful at all in helping OP making a decision. In the context of his question the aspect of "culture" that's relevant is how the people act and how things get done, things that affect your day to day.

Even though Chinese and Vietnamese sound alike linguists put them in different families. Chinese characters are actually not well suited for the Vietnamese language.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,031 times
been to HK once. really sucks. cannot be compared to Shanghai. Now live in NYC. not good compared to shanghai either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, not only have you not been to Japan, it appears you also haven't been to Hong Kong.

I''ve been to all of those cities you've listed here...Shenzhen being the worst.

Hong Kong and Tokyo are international cities, international powerhouses, they have been for a long time, those two cities along with New York and London, are said to be the four cities, that almost all money goes through.

That kind of money just permeates, and that cosmopolitan combined of being huge powerhouses. They are also 4 cities with fantastic legal systems that protect international money and investments.

Shenzhen is just a mess of sprawl and a sudden influx of 10 million people. Quality of life is extremely low on their agenda. How to move people from A to B has been on their agenda, and how to provide shopping for them all. There has been little time to develop much more than that.

Beijing and Shanghai are becoming international. But, the legalities of doing business there is an absolute killer. They need a better legal system, something that HK (British Law), Japan, New York, and London do quite well. Good laws that protect businesses are critical for any city to even begin to encourage a higher quality of life with all of the other things that come with it.

Beijing/Shanghai are both polluted messes, that continue to destroy and replace large swaths of their city...construct extremely poor buildings that are not up to any code. That continue to have horror stories of the legal system killing foreign and international investment. It's the wild west in China. Than you have all of the social inappropriate behaviors on top of that - i.e. ****ting, pissing, spitting, yelling, shouting, arguing on the streets.... it's not very conducive to being a 'nice' place with a 'high quality of life' by most measurements.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM

ask any HKer or Tokyoer. They don't view their cities as good as you do.

Chinese cities have changed a lot. Shenzhen now is the tech center in Asia. You know the biggest company listed in HK? It is from Shenzhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, not only have you not been to Japan, it appears you also haven't been to Hong Kong.

I''ve been to all of those cities you've listed here...Shenzhen being the worst.

Hong Kong and Tokyo are international cities, international powerhouses, they have been for a long time, those two cities along with New York and London, are said to be the four cities, that almost all money goes through.

That kind of money just permeates, and that cosmopolitan combined of being huge powerhouses. They are also 4 cities with fantastic legal systems that protect international money and investments.

Shenzhen is just a mess of sprawl and a sudden influx of 10 million people. Quality of life is extremely low on their agenda. How to move people from A to B has been on their agenda, and how to provide shopping for them all. There has been little time to develop much more than that.

Beijing and Shanghai are becoming international. But, the legalities of doing business there is an absolute killer. They need a better legal system, something that HK (British Law), Japan, New York, and London do quite well. Good laws that protect businesses are critical for any city to even begin to encourage a higher quality of life with all of the other things that come with it.

Beijing/Shanghai are both polluted messes, that continue to destroy and replace large swaths of their city...construct extremely poor buildings that are not up to any code. That continue to have horror stories of the legal system killing foreign and international investment. It's the wild west in China. Than you have all of the social inappropriate behaviors on top of that - i.e. ****ting, pissing, spitting, yelling, shouting, arguing on the streets.... it's not very conducive to being a 'nice' place with a 'high quality of life' by most measurements.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,330,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post

Chinese cities have changed a lot. Shenzhen now is the tech center in Asia. You know the biggest company listed in HK? It is from Shenzhen
What have companies located there to do with the quality of life? I mean, look at where US enterprises are located... Walmart somewhere in Arkansas. Or Irving, TX (Exxon) which consists of an Airport and some skyscrapers.

So far, HK and Tokyo have been much better in terms of life quality than any Chinese city I have visited.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,418 times
IMO neither Tokyo, HK nor Shanghai have good quality of life. Too hectic.

Smaller Asian cities like Sapporo and Tainan have better quality of life. Some smaller less-polluted Chinese cities can be eligible -- only if their medical facilities improve.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:16 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,418 times
Though Vietnam is within the Sinic Circle like Korea, Okinawa and Japan are, its culture is quite distinct from the mainstream Chinese culture.

For example, it seems women's status is much higher in Vietnam's society than China's. The Trung sisters are revered, even though China has its counterpart like Mulan, the latter is more or less legendary. In dynastic Vietnam, women seldom had their feet bound like China's were.

I guess it was because Vietnam got rid of Chinese rule in early Ming Dynasty. Ming and the subsequent Qing dynasties were more rigid towards women and had imposed so many rules onto them.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM

that is your opinion, not a fact. To me, HK or tokyo are much worse than many chinese cities.

Most HKers can only live in 50 square foot apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
What have companies located there to do with the quality of life? I mean, look at where US enterprises are located... Walmart somewhere in Arkansas. Or Irving, TX (Exxon) which consists of an Airport and some skyscrapers.

So far, HK and Tokyo have been much better in terms of life quality than any Chinese city I have visited.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
IMO neither Tokyo, HK nor Shanghai have good quality of life. Too hectic.

Smaller Asian cities like Sapporo and Tainan have better quality of life. Some smaller less-polluted Chinese cities can be eligible -- only if their medical facilities improve.
Tainan is total garbage. The traffic is disgusting, the public transportation is almost non-existent, and the pollution is ****ing out of control in winter. It's one of the worst places on earth.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post

Have you been to Shenzhen? Just because a tech company is there, doesn't automatically make the city best country in the world?

Shenzhen has a very low quality of life....very little to see and do while you are there, unless you like shopping for really cheap low-quality products that'll break in a few days. There is a reason there are no Lonely Planet guidebooks devoted solely to Shenzhen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia