Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,544,433 times

Advertisements

I spent 18 months of my life on Okinawa. Been doing a lot of thinking about it lately. Been thinking about the wonderful Okinawan family that befriended us and helped my wife and I survive during that time. They had several beautiful children, Chico, Yaki, takish and mitsuru, probably spelled wrong. We all lived across the highway from the machinato service area where I worked. It was quite a change from the plains of western kansas, but, we all had some great laughs together. Anyone else over there at that time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,769,806 times
That was a good 14 years before I was born, but I'd love to hear about it. I've read a few retrospectives that people who lived there typed up, and also dated a girl whose dad was an American soldier and mom was Okinawan, who grew up there... I'd love to visit someday.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,544,433 times
I guess not many on this forum are interested in this topic. I just learned that one of my army buddies that served in Okinawa with me, died in 2011. He was a character. Had another buddy, I can't remember his name, but, we always called him rickety tic. He was always saying "no rickety tick, GI" Well, I keep trying.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,320,904 times
I think that the big thing is that a good number of people who browse these forums weren't even alive back then. I wasn't a glimmer in my father's eye until 1980. He never left the US till he was over 40.

My grandfather served in the Army during the War and said he spent some time in Japan, part in Okinawa and part in Hiroshima and Kyushu island.

He didn't like talking about the war much as he was a telecommunications marine. Which back in those days meant strapping a wire bundle on your back and stringing lines of communication between the grunts and the marines, and understood circuits, etc. They were favorites of snipers. He also witnessed some pretty brutal fighting and some war crimes - from both sides - ... it was only on his deathbed that he confessed about some of what he saw. Truly a mark of someone from his generation.

But he always gushed about how polite and friendly the Japanese were, and how beautiful the beaches were, "rivaled anything Florida had to offer." He also talked about how strong willed they were, and how when they put their minds to something they wouldn't stop till it was done. He liked seeing similarities to the American culture and the Japanese one, it really opened his mind up and made him realize that at a basic level all people want is a good decent life.

If you have experiences to share, by all means do so! By 1969 my grandfather was 46 years old. So your perspective would be interesting as it is just before Okinawa was reverted back to Japanese control, after my grandfather's experience, and before the height of the cold war and the Japanese "miracle" coming to fruition in the late 70s and 80s.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 AM

235 posts, read 421,257 times
between 1968-1970, i was stationed at torii station[hanza]. i was US Navy. CTO. i have a lot of photos from those times back then. love to go back, but money is an issue.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM

442 posts, read 658,577 times
What was the purpose of ruling Okinawa after world war 2?
Why Okinawa did not become independent after US adminstration ended?

Phillippines, South Korea, Palau, Marshall Islands and FS Micronesia became indepedent nations, all were formerly occupied by Japan and then the US in world war 2.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,820,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

Phillippines, South Korea, Palau, Marshall Islands and FS Micronesia became indepedent nations, all were formerly occupied by Japan and then the US in world war 2.
Probably because small island nations tend not to want to seek independence. Plus, the native Okinawan people are largely seen to belong to the Japonic peoples, which includes mainland Japan and Hokkaido (another island with a different indigenous group, the Ainu)

Old 03-30-2015, 02:02 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,693,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Probably because small island nations tend not to want to seek independence. Plus, the native Okinawan people are largely seen to belong to the Japonic peoples, which includes mainland Japan and Hokkaido (another island with a different indigenous group, the Ainu)
Some people are seeking independence, but not many. There is an organization called Ryukyu Independence Movement.
Ryukyu independence movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okinawa (originally Ryukyu) formally became a part of Japan as late as in 1879. It used to be a tributary country of China in Ming and Qing dynasties, the same as Korea and Vietnam. But China lost its control.

After WWII, it could have been independent, but the US wanted to use it as a navy base and occupied it. And later it was formally handed over to Japan in 1972.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,820,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Some people are seeking independence, but not many. There is an organization called Ryukyu Independence Movement.
Ryukyu independence movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okinawa (originally Ryukyu) formally became a part of Japan as late as in 1879. It used to be a tributary country of China in Ming and Qing dynasties, the same as Korea and Vietnam. But China lost its control.

After WWII, it could have been independent, but the US wanted to use it as a navy base and occupied it. And later it was formally handed over to Japan in 1972.
Every island has also very small independence movement. Doesn't mean anything. Most Okinawans want to be Japanese. The island where I'm from has an independence party too, but hardly anybody votes for them.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 AM

8,848 posts, read 8,356,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post

Maybe because the Okinawans don't want it that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia