Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,565 times

Advertisements

How would they see a mestizo in Asia? What nationality would they think he is? Also a mestizo is a person of mixed race. It is someone who is of mixed European & Native American stock. They are typical in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, much of Central America also Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. The phenotype looks like someone like say Oscar de la Hoya, or Salma Hayek.

Would they confuse them with someone from India or Nepal or Pakistan? Curious to know since China, Japan and Korea, especially Japan and Korea are homogenous countries. China has over 56 ethnic minorities but the vast majority are Han Chinese. I've been told by Chinese some Hans and Tibetans that I look like uyghur, that people would think I'm from xingjiang if I were in china. Either that or Indian (from India), Or American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 01:38 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Yes possibly Nepali/Nepalese, Northern Indian, maybe even Burmese. I don't think most Asians are really that aware of Latin Americas and many probably don't even know what a 'mestizo' is.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Pretty much someone from Brazil or Mexico if they knew his nationality, but if they see one thay would only see them as bule in Indonesia or maybe mistaken them with Europeans if they looked very Caucassians. I think they would easily be mistaken as Arabs or Pakistani.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
maybe Filipino or Spain , depending on the looks , style of clothing , accent

lots of mestizos look caucasion, Italian, Spanish

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
How would they see a mestizo in Asia? What nationality would they think he is? Also a mestizo is a person of mixed race. It is someone who is of mixed European & Native American stock. They are typical in Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, much of Central America also Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. The phenotype looks like someone like say Oscar de la Hoya, or Salma Hayek.

Would they confuse them with someone from India or Nepal or Pakistan? Curious to know since China, Japan and Korea, especially Japan and Korea are homogenous countries. China has over 56 ethnic minorities but the vast majority are Han Chinese. I've been told by Chinese some Hans and Tibetans that I look like uyghur, that people would think I'm from xingjiang if I were in china. Either that or Indian (from India), Or American.
What specifically do you define as "mestizo"? The term "mestizo" is vague as hell in and of itself. The term "mestizo" just simply means mixed. A lot of mestizos are a mix of 3 or more races often.

Oscar De La Hoya is mostly white in terms of ancestry. Salma Hayek's father is from Lebanon and her mother is from Spain or of direct Spaniard descent.

Being mixed, one can often resemble people phenotypically from other populations around the world. So it depends on the individual and how they look.

Mestizo or mixed race doesn't have one look.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
And a lot of mestizos have black African ancestry. George Zimmerman's mother is 100% Peruvian and she has Afro-Peruvian descent, ancestry, and roots.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
And a lot of mestizos have black African ancestry. George Zimmerman's mother is 100% Peruvian and she has Afro-Peruvian descent, ancestry, and roots.
You're very oblivious dude. I even described the mestizos I'm talking about. I'm tallying about the mestizos of Mexico, Central America and Colombia and Peru. The Native American and European mix.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM

If I were to say black and white, I'd say mullato. If it was 1/4 black 3/4 white it'd be Morisco. If I were to say 1/4 Native American 3/4 European, I'd say castizo. Also 1/4 European is lobo or retorno atras

Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes possibly Nepali/Nepalese, Northern Indian, maybe even Burmese. I don't think most Asians are really that aware of Latin Americas and many probably don't even know what a 'mestizo' is.
This is exactly why I asked the question haha . Since they aren't aware that there's more to the Americas south of the US and they haven't seen a mestizo before.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
I probably wouldnt think of Burmese because most of the people would be too poor to travel for leisure or vacation , so the odds are very low they would be Burmese

thats why I said possibly Filipino since they are well known to travel and work in other countries

much more likely to see a filipino worker than a burmese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia