Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So in your opinion, Chinese immigrants living in Chinatown or Flushing are fully accepted by local Americans? That is what you call "insiders"? Go ask those Chinese immigrants what they think about it.
Yes, of course they are accepted. They are the majority. NYC is a city of first- and second generation-immigrants. "Regular Americans" like you see in Ohio or Kansas or something are not common in Brooklyn or Queens. They would be the outsiders, not the Chinese.

If you walk down 8th Ave. in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, I can't imagine anyone can argue the Chinese are outsiders. They dominate everything. The banks, supermarkets, cultural institutions, everything is oriented to the Chinese community. They are now the #1 immigrant group to NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If foreigners speak Chinese fluently, their life can be much better in Shanghai too. But most of them don't bother to learn, or are incapable of learning.
I agree with this. People should learn the language wherever they have decided to settle long-term, and I'm sure China is much better when you speak the language (I don't).

But I do still think that there are reasons that people with means don't flock to mainland China, and language isn't the primary reason. China just isn't developed enough yet to attract non-Chinese (I'm not talking "developed" with subways and highrises and all that; China does all that extremely well; I am talking social and economic and cultural and environmental and political development).

China is just "different". Even HK Chinese all agree it is "different" from HK. It is not going to be an obvious location for non-Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,635 times
i said my car was stolen near my home.
People like you never really read other's post carefully.
In your mind, NYC is better because it is in US. SH is bad because it is in China

WHo care about Fifth ave? Shanghai has many avenues way nicer than Fifth

NYC has the lowest crime in US. Of course, NYC is way better than LA or Chicago or Detroit, where it is like a war zone. LOL.

BTW, I lived in Geneva for 5 years. Then I moved to NYC to look for more interesting life, but disappointed. SH will be better than Geneva for its more diverse lifestyle and much better than NYC for its better quality of life

I bet you live in some kind of rural or suburban area in Europe or US. Never been to Asia. just as closed minded as I could imagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Bull. You are poor and have never traveled.

And I guarantee you are lying about your car being stolen on Fifth Ave. and you being robbed on Fifth Avenue. Show us the evidence.

No one even drives to Fifth Ave. and there are tons of people about, and it is completely safe. How exactly were you "robbed", and where exactly was your car "stolen", when there is no parking in the first place? NYC has the lowest crime rate of any major city in the U.S.

And Switzerland is like 100,000x better than Shanghai. No one living in Zurich or Geneva dreams of moving to mainland China. That's completely delusional. The Swiss are among the most prosperous people on the planet. They have fresh air, fantastic schools, high salaries and amazing quality of life.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
i said my car was stolen near my home.
People like you never really read other's post carefully.
No, people laugh when someone like you is posting obvious lies about conveniently being robbed and everything getting stolen just yesterday, just coincidentally in the city under discussion, especially when it is obvious you were never there in the first place based on your descriptions.
Quote:
In your mind, NYC is better because it is in US. SH is bad because it is in China
Yes, definitely. The U.S. is the richest major country on earth. China is still poor. It makes logical sense that the average person in the U.S. lives a lot better than the average person in China. Millions of Chinese, especially the rich, are trying desperately to move to the U.S., no Americans are trying to move to China. There are even secret "birth houses" in California and New York so wealthy Chinese can visit while pregnant to secretly give their children U.S. citizenship.

NYC is arguably the most desirable city on the planet. Shanghai is not even on the conversation.
Quote:
Who care about Fifth ave? Shanghai has many avenues way nicer than Fifth
Shanghai doesn't have even one street as nice as one in Toronto or Chicago, to say nothing of NYC, London or Paris. Your posts are all ridiculous. You will next argue that Shenzhen is more historic than Rome or Beijing has cleaner air than Alaska.
Quote:
NYC has the lowest crime in US. Of course, NYC is way better than LA or Chicago or Detroit, where it is like a war zone. LOL.
No, you're just making up stuff. The U.S. has the same crime rate as Europe, and a lower crime rate than most of the planet. Only the murder rate is high in the U.S., but even this is reduced by 80% in recent years. And this has nothing to do with the conversation anyways.
Quote:
BTW, I lived in Geneva for 5 years. Then I moved to NYC to look for more interesting life, but disappointed. SH will be better than Geneva for its more diverse lifestyle and much better than NYC for its better quality of life
Geneva is like 1 billion times nicer than anywhere in China. Anyone who claims that China has higher quality of life than Geneva, Switzerland is smoking/injecting some serious drugs.
Quote:
I bet you live in some kind of rural or suburban area in Europe or US. Never been to Asia. just as closed minded as I could imagine
I am not even American. I live in a city, not a suburb. And I doubt you have ever left mainland China based on your ridiculous comments.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
American cities are not really so good for "living" in. Most middle class and upper class live in the suburbs or countryside. Poor people stay in the inner cities, which makes the inner cities dangerous after evening (or even before it).

NYC is the only big city with lots of middle class residents in downtown area. Many other cities are like ghost towns after dark, except for tourist places and bar streets. Chinese cities are very different in this regard.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:43 AM

you never leave your little village to see the real world.

Then of course, you imagine NYC is number one in the world
NYC is most desirable in the world? of course for the super rich, who can live in their shiny apartments
For any ordinary person who does not make more than a million a year, life in NYC is just awful

Quote:
No, people laugh when someone like you is posting obvious lies about conveniently being robbed and everything getting stolen just yesterday, just coincidentally in the city under discussion, especially when it is obvious you were never there in the first place based on your descriptions.

Yes, definitely. The U.S. is the richest major country on earth. China is still poor. It makes logical sense that the average person in the U.S. lives a lot better than the average person in China. Millions of Chinese, especially the rich, are trying desperately to move to the U.S., no Americans are trying to move to China. There are even secret "birth houses" in California and New York so wealthy Chinese can visit while pregnant to secretly give their children U.S. citizenship.

NYC is arguably the most desirable city on the planet. Shanghai is not even on the conversation.

Shanghai doesn't have even one street as nice as one in Toronto or Chicago, to say nothing of NYC, London or Paris. Your posts are all ridiculous. You will next argue that Shenzhen is more historic than Rome or Beijing has cleaner air than Alaska.

No, you're just making up stuff. The U.S. has the same crime rate as Europe, and a lower crime rate than most of the planet. Only the murder rate is high in the U.S., but even this is reduced by 80% in recent years. And this has nothing to do with the conversation anyways.

Geneva is like 1 billion times nicer than anywhere in China. Anyone who claims that China has higher quality of life than Geneva, Switzerland is smoking/injecting some serious drugs.

I am not even American. I live in a city, not a suburb. And I doubt you have ever left mainland China based on your ridiculous comments.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 AM

looks like you live in a city slum so you think NYC is so desirable with the third rate subway, terrible crime rate, and dirty street

Quote:

Old 04-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
you never leave your little village to see the real world.

Then of course, you imagine NYC is number one in the world
NYC is most desirable in the world? of course for the super rich, who can live in their shiny apartments
For any ordinary person who does not make more than a million a year, life in NYC is just awful
The NYC metro area has a mean income higher than any country on earth. And there is no city on the planet, outside the U.S., with higher mean income than the NYC metro.

The average person in NYC lives like a king compared to the average person in China. If the mean/median household has an "awful" life in NYC, I cannot imagine what you think of the mean/median household in Shanghai.

And I don't "imagine" NYC to be #1 in the world, it likely is #1. The only real competition would be London Paris and Tokyo.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
looks like you live in a city slum so you think NYC is so desirable with the third rate subway, terrible crime rate, and dirty street
If you live in China, then essentially everyplace is a "slum" compared to the developed world. Even HK looks like a slum compared to the West, and HK is vastly richer than Shanghai, and has incomes roughly comparable to the West.

There is not one neighborhood I have ever seen in NYC, London or Paris that looks as bad as an average neighborhood in HK (and comparing HK to Shanghai is like comparing Geneva to Bucharest). There are even people living in closets and drawers in HK. There was a block in HK called Kowloon Walled City that was 1000x more slummy than anything in the first world.

And you still haven't explained why all of Chinese wealthy are desperately trying to move assets and their families to the West. Why are they all moving wealth and children to the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
The NYC metro area has a mean income higher than any country on earth. And there is no city on the planet, outside the U.S., with higher mean income than the NYC metro.

The average person in NYC lives like a king compared to the average person in China. If the mean/median household has an "awful" life in NYC, I cannot imagine what you think of the mean/median household in Shanghai.

And I don't "imagine" NYC to be #1 in the world, it likely is #1. The only real competition would be London Paris and Tokyo.
Renting a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan costs at least $3000 per month. Forget about quality. No they do not live like kings. Have you ever been there?

Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM

Just some basic facts about SH in case people don't know

It has the largest Metro system in the world based on the length of tracks
It ranks among the top three in terms of number of skyscrapers (behind NYC and HK)
It has arguably the best education system based on the internationally recognized PISA score
It has the world most busiest port
It has one of the world busiest airport system (behind NYC, London, Atlanta, Tokyo)
It has the world No. 2 largest stock exchange (just overtook Tokyo and behind NYC)

Based on these hard facts, isn't it ridiculous to say Shanghai is not a financial hub or you may find 10 plus cities more important than SH? For now, only NYC and London are more important than SH without much doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia