Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 PM

25 posts, read 81,629 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Hong Kong in late November on a stopover. I plan to stay there for 3 nights and 3 days. Is that enough time? Recos on eating and nightlife recos during that time? Affordable places to stay that are centrally located would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,311 times
since your there why not stay a little longer and hop over the border to shenzhen or macau? if you took 2 days each at each place, its worth it since your already there

Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 PM

313 posts, read 531,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
since your there why not stay a little longer and hop over the border to shenzhen or macau? if you took 2 days each at each place, its worth it since your already there
I wouldn't bother with Shenzhen, but definitely would extend your stay a day to see Macau. I don't care about gambling, the city has one of the most unique historic centres/cultures in Asia.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:53 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2014 View Post
I'm going to Hong Kong in late November on a stopover. I plan to stay there for 3 nights and 3 days. Is that enough time? Recos on eating and nightlife recos during that time? Affordable places to stay that are centrally located would also be appreciated.
I stayed at a hotel called the Hankow Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, which is close to tons of shopping and dining in Kowloon. Right on Nathan Road, the main North/South artery... Very food deal, I paid 350 hkd for a queen bed and private bathroom. Not the swankiest place, it's simple but roomy by HK standards, clean and safe.

Out cab definitely get a good amount done in HK in 3 days and 3 nights, but it's like going to London or NYC for that amount of time. Huge international city with millions of people, tons of culture both modern and traditional. I've never had a bad meal there, and have spent hours and hours wandering Kowloon, TST, Mong Kok (the famous neon street), Kennedy, etc just snapping pictures.

I'd see Macau over Shenzhen. SZ is cool but its a very new city, only really 10-15 years old... Amazing to see a 10+ million person city shot up in that time but it doesn't have the same cultural draw as Macau, HK, or Guangzhou, which is about a 2 hour high speed train ride north and imho feels way more authentically Chinese.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2014 View Post
To see everything, certainly not. To have a good time, sure. It will give you an opportunity to visit Hong Kong another time.

To find a good place to stay, just go on booking.com. It doesn't really matter where you stay as long as it is close to subway. Also, most budget hotels is located in the same building.

Last edited by Camlon; 07-25-2014 at 02:22 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 02:06 AM

Oh and as far as dining, go to Kimberley Rd, lots of great Cantonese places there. There's an AMAZING Indian restaurant called Koh I Noor on Most Rd near the hotel I mentioned. Kimberley St (not Rd, but St... They are one block parallel from each other) has some cool bars and lounges. I didn't really spend much time in nightclubs as I hate dancing so I don't have much advice there.

Be advised that much of the nightlife and dining in HK is priced about the same as it is in the West; my Indian meal set me back about the equivalent of $20 USD, and bottled beers at Cali Cali on Kimberley St cost about $10 per pop. Eating out in GZ/SZ costs you maybe $3 per meal and draft beer is usually $3-5 per.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Be advised that much of the nightlife and dining in HK is priced about the same as it is in the West; my Indian meal set me back about the equivalent of $20 USD, and bottled beers at Cali Cali on Kimberley St cost about $10 per pop. Eating out in GZ/SZ costs you maybe $3 per meal and draft beer is usually $3-5 per.
Then you don't know where to go in Hong Kong. A meal in Hong Kong cost about $5 and a beer in a local bar shouldn't cost more than $4 dollars.

Sure if you want Indian food it is more expensive, but you won't get an Indian meal in Shenzen for $3 either.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Then you don't know where to go in Hong Kong. A meal in Hong Kong cost about $5 and a beer in a local bar shouldn't cost more than $4 dollars.

Sure if you want Indian food it is more expensive, but you won't get an Indian meal in Shenzen for $3 either.
Guilty as charged then!

Old 07-26-2014, 01:38 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
That is enough. And you can't just go to China. You need to have a visa. And the embassy, at least the one here, won't issue you a visa unless you are a permanent resident. So you possibly can't just get a via in Hong Kong. Besides, they have some ludicrous requirements. You would have to plan this before you start your trip. Maybe they have different policies there and you could do it there, but the requirements are gonna be the same. Just skip China.

Book a Hostel if you are ok with that. I think they were around 20-25 Dollars per night.
Of course it's enough to see everything. It's not that big. "Everything" dosen't mean every street. The ferry trip to Macau dosen't take that long. But if you want to see a bit of Macau, it's probably a whole day you'll spend there. If you then have another 2 full days in Hong Kong, you'll be fine, imo.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
It's probably enough, but make the most of your days and nights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia