Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city wins (after tallying up by criteria)
Bangkok 16 69.57%
Kuala Lumpur 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

My ranking for each:

Location: Tie. Bangkok is closer to the rest of Asia while KL is a bit closer to Australia. As for regional setting/location, KL is set amidst green hills, while Bangkok is in the middle of a fairly barren plain.

Scenery: KL has better local scenery.

Climate: Bangkok has more variety between seasons and has a dry season, but gets hotter during the hot season. Overall BKK.

Urban layout/landscape: Both cities are laid out kind of haphazardly, but I prefer KL's city layout overall, it seems to have more greenery/trees too.

Skyline: KL. Bangkok has a lot of buildings but it looks like a mess.

Parks: Kuala Lumpur

Public transport/road infrastructure: Both not as good as Singapore or HK, tie.

Architecture: Bangkok is an older city with more interesting traditional Thai architecture. Both also have their fare share of modern architecture.

Streetlife: Bangkok feels a bit more vibrant overall.

Entertainment/Nightlife: Bangkok

Dining/Cuisine: Close but Malaysia for it's diversity. Thai food is excellent but BKK lacks KL's variety.

Culture (Museums, Art.etc): Bangkok

People (Friendliness.etc): BKK has more people who are friendly because they are out to scam you, and KL's hospitality staff can be friendly. Also find the shop-keepers in KL friendlier than Singapore so I'll go KL.

Cost of living/Livability: KL is a bit more livable and not too much more expensive than BKK so KL. KL is more westernised and easier to adapt to as an expat.

Amenities: KL

Tourist attractions: Within the city, Bangkok, but the surrounding area, KL.

Overall verdict: Kuala Lumpur 9 to Bangkok 5

Only vote if you have spent more than about 3 days each in each city. It would be nice if you could compare by criteria and giving a short explanation.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My ranking for each:

Location: Tie. Bangkok is closer to the rest of Asia while KL is a bit closer to Australia. As for regional setting/location, KL is set amidst green hills, while Bangkok is in the middle of a fairly barren plain.

agree

Scenery: KL has better local scenery.
agree

Climate: Bangkok has more variety between seasons and has a dry season, but gets hotter during the hot season. Overall BKK.
agree

Urban layout/landscape: Both cities are laid out kind of haphazardly, but I prefer KL's city layout overall, it seems to have more greenery/trees too.
agree

Skyline: KL. Bangkok has a lot of buildings but it looks like a mess.
agree

Parks: Kuala Lumpur
not sure

Public transport/road infrastructure: Both not as good as Singapore or HK, tie.
agree

Architecture: Bangkok is an older city with more interesting traditional Thai architecture. Both also have their fare share of modern architecture.
agree

Streetlife: Bangkok feels a bit more vibrant overall.
agree

Entertainment/Nightlife: Bangkok
agree

Dining/Cuisine: Close but Malaysia for it's diversity. Thai food is excellent but BKK lacks KL's variety.
agree

Culture (Museums, Art.etc): Bangkok
agree

People (Friendliness.etc): BKK has more people who are friendly because they are out to scam you, and KL's hospitality staff can be friendly. Also find the shop-keepers in KL friendlier than Singapore so I'll go KL.
agree that there are more scams in BKK but I still think the people in BKK are friendlier..so y vote is BKK

Cost of living/Livability: KL is a bit more livable and not too much more expensive than BKK so KL. KL is more westernised and easier to adapt to as an expat.
I say tied.

Amenities: KL
agree

Tourist attractions: Within the city, Bangkok, but the surrounding area, KL.
I say BKK

Overall verdict: Kuala Lumpur 9 to Bangkok 5

Only vote if you have spent more than about 3 days each in each city. It would be nice if you could compare by criteria and giving a short explanation.

I responded with my opinion and came up with Bangkok 7 to 5. I really like KL but BKK still wins imo.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Without going through the criteria, I'd take Kuala Lumpur. It's greener, leafier, an easier language, and, I just like it.

I do prefer Thai and Thai food to Malay culture and Malay food. However, Malaysia does have a lot of Chinese and Indian influences which makes it interesting.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
looks like bangkok though they only considered shopping as the main reason...thanks to the chinese...

Why Bangkok Is the World

"Bangkok has beaten London to the number one spot as 2013’s most popular tourist destination, and it’s not just because of Thailand’s reputation for spicy food and Buddhist temples: It’s the shopping. The average Chinese visitor spends $167 per day in Thailand"

Last edited by JL; 05-28-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 AM

108 posts, read 259,517 times
I cant really go through the criteria as I don't know BKK enough I have only been once where as I have been to KL many times, so if I was to pick one today I would choose KL.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How many times have you been to each city?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
How many times have you been to each city?
Once to Bangkok for only four days and many times to KL.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Bangkok as the city to visit and KL as the city to live. KL has a lots of positive things with it, but I find it incredibly boring as a place to visit. Bangkok has a lot of negative things, but I find it much more interesting for a tourist.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Bangkok as the city to visit and KL as the city to live. KL has a lots of positive things with it, but I find it incredibly boring as a place to visit. Bangkok has a lot of negative things, but I find it much more interesting for a tourist.
I'd agree with this. However, I wouldn't say KL is a boring city. It's just that Bangkok is a significantly more exciting city to visit. KL would be very 'on par' with most other cities for just 'normality'. There is a lot to see and do in KL.

But, Bangkok is without doubt, the most 'anything goes' place on Planet Earth. So, comparitively, it just 'wins' because of that title.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:41 PM

464 posts, read 479,300 times
You're in luck cause I'm visiting both places next month. Hope they are WOC friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia