Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Sorry but I follow official definitions, not your made up definitions depending on what you think is comparable.

Secondly as pointed out before Jiangsu not Guangdong is the richest lower level province in China. And there is 3 other non city provinces who beat Guangdong as well. So even if we follow your definition you are still wrong.

Thirdly you claimed Guangdong is not slightly above average. I proved you wrong and you did not respond. Why should I take your word as gospel when you don't even know simple facts?

And I'm not interested in your childish attacks that I made her up. It really shows desperation when you start claiming people make up stories. The person I mentioned was my fiance (officially wife) , and I'm in China right now, do you still think I made her up?
You don't even know what province means.
Province: 省。 Tianjin is 直辖市, not 省.
Tianjin should be compared to Guangzhou or Shenzhen if you want a real comparison.

Secondly, I never said Guangdong is the single richest province, but one of the richest. People have different opinions about how to measure richness, but no matter what Guangdong is on the top tier.

Thirdly, Guangdong is way above average. China's average GDP per capita in 2012 is about 9000 (PPP) but Guangdong is 12,800. That is way above average. If you look at average salaries and minimum wages, Guangdong has even more advantages.

Finally, I did not say your fiance is not real, but the story you told is unreal. It is impossible that she told you Tianjin is the richest in China. Why? Because everyone in China has the common sense. Tianjin is classified as a tier 2 city in China. Tier 1 only includes Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.

Last edited by Bettafish; 03-03-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
I agree with Bettafish.
Tianjin, Beijing and Shanghai are not provinces - they are more like Washington DC. They are cities with province status.

And Tianjin is not one of the richest cities in China. Tianjin doesn't belong to the first tier cities like Shanghai and Beijing either. Despite its status, Tianjin's economy has been pretty stagnant and is seldom mentioned in the media. It is simply not one of those cities when people talk about big and glamous cities full of opportunties. It is sort of like ... Philadelphia.

Having a high GDP per capita means little in the context of being rich or having a high standard of living. Erdos, Inner Mongolia has a per capita GDP of $25K, but nobody will be crazy enough to say it is richer than Shanghai. Much of the GDP simply didn't become income for the residents.

List of prefecture-level cities by GDP per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you can't compare Guangdong Province with Tianjin. It is meaningless. Guangdong has 100+ million people. It would be the 16th most populous if it were a country. Tianjin is just a city comparable to Guangzhou. And as you can see in the list, Guangzhou does have a higher GDP per capita. It is like you can't compare Washing DC (population 600k) with the entire California (36M). Whatever conclusion you draw out of it is meaningless. Guangdong if it were a country, would have the world' 18th largest economy. Tianjin has a high GDP per capita because it is 1/10 of Guangdong's size, and the surrounding poorer rural area was carved out to Hebei Province.

And if you know China well, you should know Guangdong Province is well above average. The only comparable province is probably Jiangsu. Tianjin is not the same league of Guangzhou, or Shenzhen (both in Guangdong Province).

Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree with Bettafish.
Tianjin, Beijing and Shanghai are not provinces - they are more like Washington DC. They are cities with province status.
Not comparable. Washington DC is officially not a state. If Washington DC was officially a state would you disqualify it as a state because you did not think it as comparable.

Quote:
And Tianjin is not one of the richest cities in China. Tianjin doesn't belong to the first tier cities like Shanghai and Beijing either. Despite its status, Tianjin's economy has been pretty stagnant and is seldom mentioned in the media. It is simply not one of those cities when people talk about big and glamous cities full of opportunties. It is sort of like ... Philadelphia
You are right Tianjin is not a city of opportunity, it is a city to live. For instance New York is not the richest state in America, but is the place with the most opportunity. And I am not sure why you are claiming Tianjin is stagnating.

Tianjin has grown by 214 percent since 2005.
Beijing has grown by 146 percent
Shanghai has grown by 122 percent

While Shanghai and Beijing are amazing cities for opportunity, they are not so amazing to live. Lots of Tianjin people have moved to nice new apartments, while people in Beijing and shanghai still live in small cramped apartments where they even have to share kitchen and bathroom.

Quote:
Having a high GDP per capita means little in the context of being rich or having a high standard of living. Erdos, Inner Mongolia has a per capita GDP of $25K, but nobody will be crazy enough to say it is richer than Shanghai. Much of the GDP simply didn't become income for the residents.
Erdos is an oil city, that is different. Tianjin does not have such advantages. And it's not Tianjin who is doing that amazing, it is Shanghai and Beijing who is stagnating. Shenzen is already at 28000 way above Tianjin. Guangzhou and several other cities are beating Tianjin as well.

Tianjin number is not too high compared to other cities, it is just Beijing and Shanghai which is not as rich as they are hyped up to be. Both of them are very tough to live in.

Quote:
And you can't compare Guangdong Province with Tianjin.
I never was comparing them, they are of course different. But I don't disqualify it as province status just because it is not comparable. It is like disqualifying Singapore and Norway as the richest countries in the world because they are not comparable.

Also not only Jiangsu is beating Guangdong. Inner Mongolia, Zhejiang, and Liaoning is beating Guangdong as well. The numbers are from 2012. If you use 2013 numbers then Fujian and Shandong is likely to join that list. That is because Guangdong is stagnating.

When Guangdong can't even get in the top 3 when you disqualify provinces you do not think is comparable then it is not right to say it is one of the richest provinces in China. Guangdong is a province that has the richest cities in China, but it also has a lot of poor places which is shown by the IQ scores from Guangdong.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You don't even know what province means.
Province: 省。 Tianjin is 直辖市, not 省.
Tianjin should be compared to Guangzhou or Shenzhen if you want a real comparison.
You have less knowledge than I thought. When you said politically I thought you knew, you obviously didn't- At least when I point it out to you I expect you check it up.

There are two levels of provinces in China. What you mentioned is lower level province and there are 22 of them. The other is higher level province and includes all 34. It really suprises me that a chinese person do not know that.

You can read about it here, this time try to read it
Provinces of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Secondly, I never said Guangdong is the single richest province, but one of the richest. People have different opinions about how to measure richness, but no matter what Guangdong is on the top tier.

Thirdly, Guangdong is way above average. China's average GDP per capita in 2012 is about 9000 (PPP) but Guangdong is 12,800. That is way above average. If you look at average salaries and minimum wages, Guangdong has even more advantages.
And you are back at making excuses. It will only take China a few years to grow to 12800. 12800 is not way above average. That is like saying United States is way richer than Germany. Its totally ridiculus and you know it.

Quote:
Finally, I did not say your fiance is not real, but the story you told is unreal. It is impossible that she told you Tianjin is the richest in China. Why? Because everyone in China has the common sense. Tianjin is classified as a tier 2 city in China. Tier 1 only includes Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
You already embarrased yourself, the right steps to take is to apologise instead of lying about what you said. At least learn from botticelli, he does not agree with me but he can at least argue decently unlike you who have to resort to childish attacks and claim I make up stories with zero evidence.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You have less knowledge than I thought. When you said politically I thought you knew, you obviously didn't- At least when I point it out to you I expect you check it up.

There are two levels of provinces in China. What you mentioned is lower level province and there are 22 of them. The other is higher level province and includes all 34. It really suprises me that a chinese person do not know that.

You can read about it here, this time try to read it
Provinces of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you are back at making excuses. It will only take China a few years to grow to 12800. 12800 is not way above average. That is like saying United States is way richer than Germany. Its totally ridiculus and you know it.

You already embarrased yourself, the right steps to take is to apologise instead of lying about what you said. At least learn from botticelli, he does not agree with me but he can at least argue decently unlike you who have to resort to childish attacks and claim I make up stories with zero evidence.
I don't know why you make a big deal out of this, but most people who know China well regard Guangdong as a rich province. It's because the Pearl River Delta, where Shenzhen and Guangzhou are, is actually where the rapid economic growth of China started and it still China's major economic hub. It is not just two cities there, but there are cities like Zhuhai, Foshan and many others that have pretty high GDP per capita. The Pearl River Delta actually constitute more than half of the population of Guangdong, so that is why people do not need to look at all those figures to say that it is rich. There are poorer areas in Guangdong, but still the size of the economy and the impact it has on the entire country is evident. Tianjian might have had a good year in 2012, but it's a pretty small city and it has not been at the forefront of China's economic growth the past 30 years. It can easily be surpassed by the other municipalities or even provinces the next few years.

There are 22 provinces in China, which Guangdong is rated #4 out of 22 from your table, which makes it still among the richest. Besides, for the purposes of this thread, it just stated that Guangdong's IQ numbers are a bit off, which is valid because even Fujian and Shandong (which are lower in GDP per capita based on the last statistics you sent) have higher IQ results compared to that of Guangdong.

Among administrative divisions in China, a municipality is more like a metropolitan area, so Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin cannot be compared to a province, similar to the District of Columbia cannot be compared to a state. Also, the 34 administrative divisions you said actually includes the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau plus the claimed province of Taiwan, in which case, those 3 will be the richest, not Tianjin.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
So Iodine makes you smarter? I must missed out on my daily doses as a child.
Iodine deficiency has a really strong effect on development. It's why iodized salt became such a common item from the 1920s on in the US.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
The research (2005) is to study how Iodine consumption affects IQ among children. From the result we can also have an idea about the IQ distribution in China.

Children in the Construction Corps have an average IQ of 119.5. Zhejiang Province 115.8, Shanghai 115.3, Beijing 114.1.

Tibet has only 77.3 on average, with very low Iodine level from urine test. Guangdong (one of the richest provinces in China) has 101.1, below China's average.
As someone involved in the field of psychometric testing, I doubt the validity of these results, just based on probability. Let's see the peer review on this one!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM

24 posts, read 34,980 times
Quote:
Data chart.
So there are a roughly 1,200 participants from each group? I don't read Chinese. That seems like a large enough sample size.

What is the source?

It's hard to believe that there would be averages greater than 110.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amren View Post
So there are a roughly 1,200 participants from each group? I don't read Chinese. That seems like a large enough sample size.

What is the source?

It's hard to believe that there would be averages greater than 110.
It is possible, though doubtable.
Zhejiang people have a fame to be "smart" in China. Shanghai and Beijing are certainly on the top in China.

Another study by American scholars shows Hong Kong has 106 on average.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM

24 posts, read 34,980 times
Quote:
It is possible, though doubtable.
Zhejiang people have a fame to be "smart" in China. Shanghai and Beijing are certainly on the top in China.

Another study by American scholars shows Hong Kong has 106 on average.
Do you have links to that American Study?

And have you seen this study:

http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=7195

Zhejiang is only at 103.

All are below 110, which sounds more reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia