Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

I know 'exotic' is a subjective and relative term, but on a subjective level which country in Asia still seems the most foreign, with a way of life that is most different from what you think you'd be used to? Of course it would vary by region, but say pick the least globalised/modernised/westernised part of the country.

Myanmar would be up there because it's so closed off, the people are 'stuck in time', it's very rural/religious and 'Burma' the name conjures up colonial images of cities of gilded pagodas.

Despite the changes it has seen, India to me still seems mysterious and exotic, despite a familiarity with Indian culture it's colour, sound, the sheer age of Hindu and Indian culture makes it seem like it's own world. The isolated Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan of course, Nepal and though not an independent state Tibet.

I still find Cambodia very exotic and in some ways mysterious, even if tourism is increasing, I mean any place where tarantulas are eaten as casual snacks must be pretty different, but in a good way (although of course all humans are more similar than different). I find weirdness itself interesting...I guess rural Laos would be too, for their diet but also their mindset.

I would say China has lost some of that - it's still very different, but in urban areas people are becoming more westernised/globalised, although seeing a whole shark or alligator for sale in Walmart definitely reminds you where you are. Rural areas are a different story.

Parts of the Middle East would quality, especially the less touristed areas like say Iran.

Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, seem a bit less exotic being more westernised. Hong Kong still has that allure but it's just too modern/globalised, same with Taiwan. Japan is one of the few which is both modern but still quite exotic/foreign in some ways.

Last edited by The Postman; 03-10-2014 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: added burma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,152 times
Would you consider Tibet and Burma exotic ?

For another kind of exotic, North Korea ? Very mysterious kind of exotic as no one know what is going on there...

Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
The ones with governments that lock their citizens away from the world like North Korea and Mynamar are obviously going to be exotic (to put it kindly). More economically integrated countries still have very remote areas that remain distinctive. Remote islands in Indonesia and the Philippines certainly qualify.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Yes I forgot to mention Myanmar/Burma, edited my OP. North Korea in a way, but a lot of it's exoticism is more political.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
For me, Bhutan.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Of the places I have visited, Thailand.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Bhutan, Mongolia. Tibet isn't a country. Some of the 'stans, like Kyrgyzstan--best scenery, along with Bhutan!

China's pretty exotic if you take into account all the ethnic minority areas

Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
Loads of tourist who visited indonesia said its very exotic and different.

India, myanmar, thailand and cambodia easily qualify as exotic. China would definitely counts as exotic if it weren't for the fake western buildings favoritsm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
The ones with governments that lock their citizens away from the world like North Korea and Mynamar are obviously going to be exotic (to put it kindly). More economically integrated countries still have very remote areas that remain distinctive. Remote islands in Indonesia and the Philippines certainly qualify.
Most island in Indonesia are "exotic" IMO.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Loads of tourist who visited indonesia said its very exotic and different.

India, myanmar, thailand and cambodia easily qualify as exotic. China would definitely counts as exotic if it weren't for the fake western buildings favoritsm.

Most island in Indonesia are "exotic" IMO.
Right, and Indonesia has no Western style buildings at all

Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Right, and Indonesia has no Western style buildings at all
Lol i didn't mean it that way, i know there are loads of western architecture (skycrappers counted) but that's mostly in Sumatra and Java only, however most of the islands are still far from getting modernized or in another way "westernized". Each of the islands have very strong traditional cultures too, to me saying that only some of the island in Indonesia qualifying as exotic is simply ignorant. but then exotic is very subjective.

Sumba island as an example:
[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-08-2014 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted photo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia