Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:02 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Doesn't Singapore provide government aid and housing for those with lower income?
Hi.. If you are talking about aid for lower income people, it probably comes in the form of subsidy for upgrading skills and job search assistance etc..

Lower income people probably pay less for maintainance of our housing and susidy for utilities and medical bills.

Do not expect aid in the form of monthly cash payouts etc.. Singapore definitely is not a welfare state..

Hope this clarifies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,607 times
Well Singapore 's official unemployment rate is at 2%, and we do not have homeless people around and low crime rate.

And we do not have tragic shooting incidents like you have in Connecticut.. So where is the real hell hole ?? Our streets are much safer than your schools ..

If that is a hell hole, come and tell me when your unemployment rate is as low as Singapore's.. And the tragic shooting incidents in schools in he states..and the many homeless people in the states ..

Singapore is hell hole yeah?? Come and talk again when your unemployment rate is comparable to Singapore

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
$30?! Wow....If thats on special what are the regular prices like?
Most of the cheaper plane fares around the region are around US$90 to US$120 from the budget airlines. $30 is unusual, and most likely does not include fuel surcharges, airport charges and taxes, etc. and is most likely also quoted one-way basic fare only.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 26,088 times
Aid in the form of cash payouts are uncommon or frown upon in asia, including richer countries like Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Brunei and Singapore. People are expected to work, including manual jobs. Asia mainly has a workaholic culture where people are expected to work hard for survival and the governments discouraged over-relying on helps from governments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hi.. If you are talking about aid for lower income people, it probably comes in the form of subsidy for upgrading skills and job search assistance etc..

Lower income people probably pay less for maintainance of our housing and susidy for utilities and medical bills.

Do not expect aid in the form of monthly cash payouts etc.. Singapore definitely is not a welfare state..

Hope this clarifies

Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
Quote:
Well Singapore 's official unemployment rate is at 2%, and we do not have homeless people around and low crime rate.

And we do not have tragic shooting incidents like you have in Connecticut.. So where is the real hell hole ?? Our streets are much safer than your schools ..

If that is a hell hole, come and tell me when your unemployment rate is as low as Singapore's.. And the tragic shooting incidents in schools in he states..and the many homeless people in the states ..

Singapore is hell hole yeah?? Come and talk again when your unemployment rate is comparable to Singapore
No kidding! Great post!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 6,308 times
Singapore is heaven, and japan is too I can't imagine that men couldn't have ideas to serve The Lord gracefully it should be the most important place for Adam and Eve to bless The Lord.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Agreed!

I first visited Singapore in 1994 and have visited a few times since then. Always impressed at how nice the place is. Clean, great food, quality of life, educated population (cannot really say the same for everyone here in the US), diverse and tolerant and hard working (again, cannot say the same for some here in the US who feel entitled and ask for government welfare).

If my company ever offered me to transfer to Singapore, I would consider it!

Quote:

Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM

101 posts, read 326,598 times
I don't think people will ever get used to extreme (both hot and cold) weather, ever. None of the people I know do. It's more like they get used to the "coping mechanism" lifestyle of it. Less outdoors and more indoors with air-conditioning. With that said I think extreme weather on the cold side is better than the hot side, heater is much less detrimental to the environment compared to air-conditioner, and outdoors with the proper amount of clothing in cold weather is very much still bearable. Also, in hot and humid countries even smaller, not so developed towns have horrible overcrowding traffic and parking problems. I blame the weather for it.

Last edited by Bastardised; 03-16-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastardised View Post
I don't think people will ever get used to extreme (both hot and cold) weather, ever. None of the people I know do. It's more like they get used to the "coping mechanism" lifestyle of it. Less outdoors and more indoors with air-conditioning. With that said I think extreme weather on the cold side is better than the hot side, heater is much less detrimental to the environment compared to air-conditioner, and outdoors with the proper amount of clothing in cold weather is very much still bearable.
Well how do you explain why many more people live near the equator than near the poles?

Also, just from my experience, if a city has both hot and cold weather, I notice more people outside during the summer than in the winter. I think humans are more fit to live in an equator-type climate than somewhere like Alaska.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
I think Singapore is an awesome place to live and I would be very happy if I could live there one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia