Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,654,361 times

Advertisements

I lived full time in Vietnam between late 1999 and early 2003. Wonderful people. I believe I'm the first American individual to sign a free trade agreement with a communist government entity in Vietnam. Here's a picture of that signing. I'm the lone Caucasian in the room, my Wife is sitting next to me. The fellow directly across the table from me is in power in Baria Vungtau and also a representative in Hanoi so this was a big deal at the time. Please note the barbed wire outside on the gates. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life: More about the story here:
WORLDWIDE VENTURES SIGNS 3 YEAR AGREEMENT WITH VUNG TAU TOURISM TO PROMOTE TRADE AND TRAVEL BETWEEN VIETNAM AND THE UNITED STATES.

Director Nguyen Thai Binh of Vung Tau Tourist and President Tom Tudo of Worldwide Ventures today, signed an agreement for the promotion of trade and travel to and from Vietnam. The agreement is expected to have significant economic impact in the Asian trade and travel industry. Tours thruout Vietnam are planned along with an e-commerce website created by Worldwide Ventures USA, located in Saigon and managed by Tom Tudo and his Vietnamese and American associates.
An extensive promotional campaign to the business and travel industry in the United States is planned which will effectively market Vietnam as a "hidden gem" of international travel and trade.
Assistant Director Tran Thanh Liem commented that "this agreement with our American friend, Tom Tudo will help Vietnam open its door to the world. We are confident that this important agreement will increase trade and goodwill between our nations."

Seated from the left:
Director Nguyen Thai Binh, Assistant Director Tran Thanh Liem, Marketing Director Nguyen Thi Phuong Dung and Travel Director Nguyen Lan Phoung Of Vung Tau Tourist and President of Worldwide Ventures, Tom Tudo

Clinton had already started the process in 1995 but it lanquished. George Bush signed it finally within 90 days of my own agreement.

I had originally flown to Vietnam initially to try and come to terms with some of what was in my head from that era. I did not have plans to meet someone, fall in love, build a business, form a free trade agreement or any of that. But ultimately I flew back and forth from west palm to Saigon 7 times before I finally decided to move full time there. My soon wife to be and I also lived on an island in southeastern Thailand for a year ( Koh Samui ), visited Hong Kong a number of times, Malaysia.....I visited China ( most unfriendly people I met in all of Asia ). All in all I can honestly tell you if a few things could be tweaked, I could be talked into retiring there. Has anyone done so or considered it as a possible destination?

Last edited by MrTudo; 03-15-2014 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:52 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,733 times
Interesting story. How often do you go back? I'm considering a move there sometime in the fall. If everything works out, I could absolutely see myself retiring there. What kinds of things do you think need tweaking? Are you still doing business in Vietnam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I lived full time in Vietnam between late 1999 and early 2003. Wonderful people. I believe I'm the first American individual to sign a free trade agreement with a communist government entity in Vietnam. Here's a picture of that signing. I'm the lone Caucasian in the room, my Wife is sitting next to me. The fellow directly across the table from me is in power in Baria Vungtau and also a representative in Hanoi so this was a big deal at the time. Please note the barbed wire outside on the gates. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life: More about the story here:
WORLDWIDE VENTURES SIGNS 3 YEAR AGREEMENT WITH VUNG TAU TOURISM TO PROMOTE TRADE AND TRAVEL BETWEEN VIETNAM AND THE UNITED STATES.

Director Nguyen Thai Binh of Vung Tau Tourist and President Tom Tudo of Worldwide Ventures today, signed an agreement for the promotion of trade and travel to and from Vietnam. The agreement is expected to have significant economic impact in the Asian trade and travel industry. Tours thruout Vietnam are planned along with an e-commerce website created by Worldwide Ventures USA, located in Saigon and managed by Tom Tudo and his Vietnamese and American associates.
An extensive promotional campaign to the business and travel industry in the United States is planned which will effectively market Vietnam as a "hidden gem" of international travel and trade.
Assistant Director Tran Thanh Liem commented that "this agreement with our American friend, Tom Tudo will help Vietnam open its door to the world. We are confident that this important agreement will increase trade and goodwill between our nations."

Seated from the left:
Director Nguyen Thai Binh, Assistant Director Tran Thanh Liem, Marketing Director Nguyen Thi Phuong Dung and Travel Director Nguyen Lan Phoung Of Vung Tau Tourist and President of Worldwide Ventures, Tom Tudo

Clinton had already started the process in 1995 but it lanquished. George Bush signed it finally within 90 days of my own agreement.

I had originally flown to Vietnam initially to try and come to terms with some of what was in my head from that era. I did not have plans to meet someone, fall in love, build a business, form a free trade agreement or any of that. But ultimately I flew back and forth from west palm to Saigon 7 times before I finally decided to move full time there. My soon wife to be and I also lived on an island in southeastern Thailand for a year ( Koh Samui ), visited Hong Kong a number of times, Malaysia.....I visited China ( most unfriendly people I met in all of Asia ). All in all I can honestly tell you if a few things could be tweaked, I could be talked into retiring there. Has anyone done so or considered it as a possible destination?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:45 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
I was born in Vietnam but left back in the 70's. The only concern I have about going back to live is that agent orange is still in the water and food supply, even if the levels are low by now.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Interesting story. How often do you go back? I'm considering a move there sometime in the fall. If everything works out, I could absolutely see myself retiring there. What kinds of things do you think need tweaking? Are you still doing business in Vietnam?

we haven't been back in a while but will be back for TET 2015.

The basic structure that's what needs to be changing. While not as heavy handed as in the past, you better have connections. We do and one of the things that needs tweaking is the issue of medical ( and for any other use ) cannabis which if I don't have I'm stuck with pain meds. In Vietnam, pain meds are tough to get and you need to see a doctor to get anything basic. I am told that I could be ( in writing ) the Irv Rosenfeld of Vietnam, being the only person to legally obtain it but at my age I guess I just don't have faith in that . This is a recent proposition and I'm willing to see if it can be worked out, like the trade agreement which was in Vietnamese and English and approved by my lawyers stateside.

In general it's not a big deal and Vietnam in that case is a lot more free then the American south is but it's , er, "different". Funny how when you get older you rely on some things you didn't expect to rely on. Far as healthcare, I'm on the no code blue so frankly if my heart stops, LEAVE ME THAT WAY and that is mostly because of a botched open heart surgery at charlotte regional hospital in punta gorda not in Asia. There are GREAT "foreign" hospitals and doctors so unless it's a code blue type scenario, health care is pretty good. Ever on the west coast of Fla? Hospitals in SE Asia are cleaner than that.

Yes we own a business in Saigon and the family has quite a few acres out toward the Cambodian border.

Have you ever lived there as a civilian full time? My suggestion would be to give that a try for a year before considering a move. You'll experience more as a local than as a tourist and having a resident visa will illuminate the terrain from day one.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
I've been to Vietnam, and it was an interesting experience, but no way would I want to live there. I could see myself living in Malaysia or Thailand but not VN.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM

^ Just curious why you would not want to live in VN? Where and when did you go?

I'm Chinese-American originally from VN and I can see myself living in Thailand and Vietnam but not Malaysia. Maybe it's because those two are Buddhist countries, while Malaysia is Muslim.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM

My Wife and I had great experiences in Malaysia. The Chinese thought it was too funny that a Vietnamese girl and American boy were traveling thruout the area together.

LOL they wouldn't let me go at the border, PLEASE STAY, WE HAVE A SILVER HAIR PROGRAM, YOU RETIRE HERE YES?!

That's the Malaysian border mind you. The Thai's are rude rude rude at the border.

antiniby, contrast that to the Chinese-Vietnamese that inhabit the Cholon section of Saigon. Terrific people, fun place despite the near pogroms of the Chinese after the American war. I bought all my ginseng and other herbs in cholon when I lived in Saigon. I also lived in NYC and while of course they are 2 completely different places, I think Saigon ranks up there in coolness and fun. It's one of the last bastions of Old School Asian in Asia don't you think?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Hi MrTudo, I can't really comment on Cholon and Saigon because I have not been back there since we left as boat people in the late 70's.

From what I have read/heard/seen photos of, it certainly has changed a lot. It is more modern and wealthier than even ten years ago let alone the 70's.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Just curious why you would not want to live in VN? Where and when did you go?

I'm Chinese-American originally from VN and I can see myself living in Thailand and Vietnam but not Malaysia. Maybe it's because those two are Buddhist countries, while Malaysia is Muslim.
From south to north, Ho Chi Minh, Mekong delta, Nha trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, so I've seen a bit of it. I guess the traffic, and the fact Vietnam still isn't as globalised as Bangkok or KL or other parts of Malaysia. In Malaysia English is widely spoken and understood, while Thailand has expat communities in BKK, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai (not that I'd live in Pattaya), not that I only want to hang out in those circles. While I love the food Vietnam also has fewer international dining options, if I were to crave a hamburger or something.

Yes Malaysia is Muslim, but it doesn't greatly affect the lives of non-Muslim and it's still a relatively liberal society.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
From south to north, Ho Chi Minh, Mekong delta, Nha trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, so I've seen a bit of it. I guess the traffic, and the fact Vietnam still isn't as globalised as Bangkok or KL or other parts of Malaysia. In Malaysia English is widely spoken and understood, while Thailand has expat communities in BKK, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai (not that I'd live in Pattaya), not that I only want to hang out in those circles. While I love the food Vietnam also has fewer international dining options, if I were to crave a hamburger or something.

Yes Malaysia is Muslim, but it doesn't greatly affect the lives of non-Muslim and it's still a relatively liberal society.
Yeah, I'd prefer Malaysia or Thailand, for similar reasons. The cosmopolitan nature of Malaysia/Thailand for one, but also Malay and Thai are just so much more chill. Vietnamese are a bit more intense/yelling/shouting/arguing when they talk, etc.

That being said, Vietnam is fantastic to visit! Really exotic/different. I particularly loved the French-colonial architecture, the food, and the entire country is just visually appealing to me. Exotic feel through and through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia