Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

As a metalhead, this makes me happy . I've been wanting to visit Indonesia for awhile. My friends who have all loved it there, and evert Indonesian I've known was a cool person (except for one coworker, who was a totally insane transvestite... But even they were alright at least 50% of the time).

But I digress and throw metal! Perhaps Indonesia will be the new metal kingdom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
As a metalhead, this makes me happy . I've been wanting to visit Indonesia for awhile. My friends who have all loved it there, and evert Indonesian I've known was a cool person (except for one coworker, who was a totally insane transvestite... But even they were alright at least 50% of the time).

But I digress and throw metal! Perhaps Indonesia will be the new metal kingdom...

Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Cool i am happy to hear that! but the metal bands in here is not as good as those Americans actually :P but you will love Indonesia if you love adventures and travelling between isles to see different culture.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 PM

Its 3 days before the election, 80% of the real counts has been counted and despite a lot of manipulation on the vote number that has been encountered Jokowi still leads.

Indonesia's Jokowi leads with 80 percent of votes counted: private group

Quote:
(Reuters) - Jakarta's populist governor looks set to become Indonesia's next president, according to a private tally of eighty percent of the votes cast, as his rival lashed out at critics, including the capital's biggest English-language newspaper.

The Elections Commission (KPU) is to officially announce the result on July 22, but a number of private groups are maintaining counts of the votes as they are published on the commission's website.

One such group, Kawal Pemilu 2014, showed Governor Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in front with 53 percent of the vote after 80 percent of the count.

"This is a crowd sourcing project based on open data released by the KPU," said Elisa Sutanudjaja, an administrator for kawalpemilu.org. "It's based on the official (tallies) uploaded by the KPU but...there are some technical problems like not all the documents are uploaded correctly."

KPU officials declined to comment on the reliability of the kawalpemilu.org website.

Several sample "quick counts" of the vote on July 9, issued shortly after polls closed, also gave Jokowi a narrow but convincing lead in the closest, and most acerbic, presidential election in the history of the world's third biggest democracy.

His rival, former special forces general Prabowo Subianto, has said quick counts by other private pollsters gave him the lead. Quick counts are tallies of votes by private polling firms at a sample of voting booths across the country and have proved accurate in the past.

But two of the pollsters showing a Prabowo win refused to be audited this week, a spokesman for the Association of Public Opinion Surveys told Reuters.

He said that six others, several of which have been reliable in the past, that predicted a Jokowi win had been audited and declared sound.

Both sides have suggested the other might try to cheat and there have been reports of irregularities in some areas. But analysts said the number of votes involved - about 130 million people cast ballots - would make it near impossible to fix the result.

Prabowo, who has faced repeated accusations of human rights abuses that he denies, has lashed out at media favoring his rival.

A video circulating on social media this week showed Prabowo criticizing the country's leading English daily for not printing his articles.

"Your newspaper is a jerk," Prabowo told a Jakarta Post reporter after refusing to answer her question at a news conference. "If Prabowo writes an article, it's not allowed to be published. That's not real democracy."

The newspaper had written an editorial ahead of the election, backing Jokowi.

His team has also lodged a defamation complaint against a U.S. journalist over an off-the-record interview in 2011 in which the ex-general is quoted as saying Indonesia was "not ready" for democracy.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM

Prabowo Explains the ‘Imperialist Threat’ to Indonesia

Quote:
JAKARTA, Indonesia—Prabowo Subianto, the former general awaiting results of his presidential race against Jakarta governor Joko Widodo, has warned Indonesians of a growing imperialist threat to the nation.

At a rally Friday condemning Israeli military strikes in the Gaza Strip, Mr. Subianto, known for displaying occasionally fiery, anti-foreign rhetoric in public speeches, told the hundreds gathered that imperialist forces are working to keep Indonesia poor.

Shortly afterward, Mr. Subianto elaborated in a short discussion with The Wall Street Journal. Edited excerpts follow.

WSJ: What is the imperialist threat?
Mr. Subianto: We have to be very careful about a new form of economic colonialism, economic imperialism. Whenever we have a position that is one-sided and that is not based on a win-win situation, this will be a danger.

WSJ: Such as?
Mr. Subianto: We are losing a lot of our wealth from illegal fishing; thousands of foreign fishermen come in illegally stealing our fish. In Europe, the navies would already start arresting all the illegal fisherman coming to their waters. We also have illegal logging, stealing our logs, stealing our wood.

WSJ: You mean foreigners?
Mr. Subianto: I mean, where does the wood go? They’re sold to foreign countries.

WSJ: But smuggled by Indonesians.
Mr. Subianto: Yes, of course. But the illegality is transnational. So I’m not pointing out individual countries, I’m just saying this is what’s happening in our country.

WSJ: Who’s to blame?
Mr. Subianto: There’s now transnational crime, transitional syndicates. You cannot know where they’re from. We are also one of the largest countries with the largest (number of) drug addicts in the world. Where does that come from? We don’t have heroin in our country. This phenomena is still with us in various forms.

WSJ: How does Indonesia’s own corruption figure into economic losses?
Mr. Subianto: The greatest losses are from corruption. All my argument is that we have to clean up our act. We have to improve our governance. That’s why I’m running. That’s why I’m in politic

Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Indonesia's Prabowo won't accept poll result, says party

Quote:
JAKARTA: The party of Indonesian presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto on Sunday said he will not accept the official election result, claiming there was evidence of electoral cheating.

“We ask the election committee to solve this problem with recounting,” said Fadli Zon, vice secretary general of Prabowo’s Gerindra party. He added that the announcement of the poll result – which is expected to take place by Tuesday – should be delayed until the problem had been resolved.

Prabowo’s rival, Jakarta governor Joko Widodo, had been leading in quick counts from several polling agencies, and is expected to be declared the winner.

Meanwhile, Indonesia’s Elections Commision told Reuters that it does not see any reason to delay announcing the official result of the poll, and added that it could reveal the result before the deadline on Tuesday.

"So far we have not encountered anything that would postpone the final results announcement or the recapitulation process," said elections commissioner Sigit Pamungkas.

Both Prabowo and Widodo have claimed victory in the election

Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Jokowi-Kalla win 53.16% of the vote in provinces, overseas

Quote:
Reports submitted by the Regional Elections Commissions (KPUD) in 33 provinces announced on Sunday that candidate pair Joko “Jokowi” Widodo-Jusuf Kalla had won 53.16 percent of the vote in all regions and overseas while rival Prabowo Subianto-Hatta Rajasa garnered 46.48 percent.

The KPUDs from the 33 provinces completed their provincial vote recapitulation early Sunday. The final vote tally at the national level is scheduled to run from Sunday through Tuesday.

Tempo.co reported that Jokowi-Kalla won 71,014,846 votes while 62,576,744 votes went to Prabowo-Hatta.

Jokowi and Kalla won in four provinces in Java, four in Kalimantan, five in Sulawesi and six in Sumatra, as well as Bali, East Nusa Tenggara, Maluku, Papua and West Papua.

Meanwhile, Prabowo-Hatta won more than 60 percent of the vote in Gorontalo, West Nusa Tenggara and West Sumatra. The ticket’s largest vote result was from West Java, from which it got 14 million votes.

Election Supervisory Committee (Bawaslu) commissioner Daniel Zuchron said on Sunday that all election organizers had arrived in Jakarta to attend the national level three-day-vote recapitulation at the KPU headquarters.

KPU commissioner Ferry Kurnia Rizkiansyah said the commission hoped all Indonesian people could trust the final result of the 2014 presidential election without having to file a lawsuit with the Constitutional Court.

“Monitors from both Jokowi-Kalla and Prabowo-Hatta camps will be present in the meeting,” he said. (gda/ebf)

Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
So, wait, is the election count done yet? I thought the elections were over quite a while ago.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So, wait, is the election count done yet? I thought the elections were over quite a while ago.
Yes it would be formally announced tommorow, the election was done on the 9th but the counting was finished only yesterday

In the capital now, there is fear that Prabowo's party might want to try to cause chaos by taking advantage (paying) his supporters for a mass protest.... as you can see he can't really accept losing, the key word that really made me uneasy here is"losing is not an option" at the bbc news, security forces are now being stationed in the capital... especially the KPU building where the counting would be announced tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 AM

Official tally shows Jokowi has won, Jakarta media report

Quote:
JAKARTA — Jakarta Governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo (picture) is expected to be officially declared the winner of the Indonesian Presidential Election today, after polls compiled from all but one of Indonesia’s 34 provinces by the General Elections Commission (KPU) showed that he had defeated his rival by more than eight million votes.

The Jakarta Globe reported yesterday that, according to KPU’s official tally in 33 provinces, Mr Widodo had secured 53.17 per cent of the vote, compared with the 46.83 per cent garnered by ex-army general Prabowo Subianto.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia