Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
This isn't a rant, but I've noticed that cities around Australia, especially the inner city centre/CBD and surrounding suburbs, are rapidly becoming a lot more Asian than before. For instance in Melbourne there are so many Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian and other Asian restaurants, and hardly any Italian restaurants for instance! They are still there on Lygon Street and in many suburbs, but it seems dumplings or Vietnamese pho are as common as pizza or pasta now. If you walk around the city it seems at least 50% of the people are Asian, whether it be Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. Sydney and Melbourne the most so. Also many outer areas are becoming increasingly Asian.
I saw more Caucasian maybe belong to different parts of the world though but I see that there is also a growing population of Asians in Perth, maybe because of location. It is near Southeast Asia and East Asia.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've been to Fort Lee, NJ and Flushing, Queens, NY before. Most of the businesses in these areas have signs in Korean, and most of the people walking the streets are Korean. There's such a high density of them it doesn't feel like the US lol. Are Aussie cities experiencing the same, or is it not on the scale like the 'Asia'towns of the US quite yet?
Definitely. Come to Melbourne and see for yourself. It's not just Chinatown (btw the oldest CONTINUOUSLY running intact Chinatown in the world) but all over the CBD and surrounding areas. Signs in Chinese (English too though), dominated by Chinese restaurants, shops.etc, and people. We have dozens of say bubble tea places or dumpling houses, which are increasingly popular with non-Asians. Also lots of Korean places. I also went to Koreatown in LA and it felt like a slice of Korea in sunny Southern California.

There are similar such Asian communities further out too, like Box Hill (Chinese mainly), Footscray (Vietnamese), Springvale (SE Asian in general). Oftentimes if you look Asian they will address you in Mandarin.

In fact city-wide the only city that could rival Melbourne in Asianness is probably San Francisco, with parts of the Bay Area, New York as well.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
This isn't a rant, but I've noticed that cities around Australia, especially the inner city centre/CBD and surrounding suburbs, are rapidly becoming a lot more Asian than before. For instance in Melbourne there are so many Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian and other Asian restaurants, and hardly any Italian restaurants for instance! They are still there on Lygon Street and in many suburbs, but it seems dumplings or Vietnamese pho are as common as pizza or pasta now. If you walk around the city it seems at least 50% of the people are Asian, whether it be Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. Sydney and Melbourne the most so. Also many outer areas are becoming increasingly Asian.
Makes me more interested in Australia.

Since Australia is only 22 million people, it probably doesn't take much to make a nice impact on demographics. I think California is around 38 million people, for comparison.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 AM

119 posts, read 215,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Since Australia is only 22 million people, it probably doesn't take much to make a nice impact on demographics. I think California is around 38 million people, for comparison.
Is this the famous Tiger Beer of Dave's fame? I see you are in Hong Kong these days. Good place to be. Cheers

Old 03-30-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Yes Sydney and Melbourne feel extremely Asian these days. Sometimes almost too much, lol just joking. Well, for instance, Sydney is nearly 40% born overseas, and there are large swathes of the city that are over 50% born overseas. The Southwestern suburbs of Sydney are the most multicultural part of Australia. In some places as few as 20% of people were born in Australia, and as many as 75% of the people do not speak English at home. Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese.etc. Parts of Sydney feel more like Hong Kong, Saigon or Beirut.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM

318 posts, read 638,435 times
Quote:
Are most Asians in Australia the Mongoloid types like here in the U.S or the Habib Akbar types like in Great Britain ?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,097 times
Quote:
In fact city-wide the only city that could rival Melbourne in Asianness is probably San Francisco, with parts of the Bay Area, New York as well.
You mean in the Western world? Honolulu probably does.

Hawaii is probably one of the few places in the United States (or possibly an Anglo settler country at all) where not only are those of east Asian descent numerous, but the communities are as deeply rooted in number of generations as white or black Americans.

As far as I can think of, elsewhere (even in other western nations) Asian immigration seems more new.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:37 PM

318 posts, read 638,435 times
Quote:
Definitely. Come to Melbourne and see for yourself. It's not just Chinatown (btw the oldest CONTINUOUSLY running intact Chinatown in the world) but all over the CBD and surrounding areas. Signs in Chinese (English too though), dominated by Chinese restaurants, shops.etc, and people. We have dozens of say bubble tea places or dumpling houses, which are increasingly popular with non-Asians. Also lots of Korean places. I also went to Koreatown in LA and it felt like a slice of Korea in sunny Southern California.

There are similar such Asian communities further out too, like Box Hill (Chinese mainly), Footscray (Vietnamese), Springvale (SE Asian in general). Oftentimes if you look Asian they will address you in Mandarin.

There is a suburb of San Francisco called Daly City that is 55 percent Asian. I doubt you will find any city in Australia where the percentage of Asians is equal to that or higher.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Are most Asians in Australia the Mongoloid types like here in the U.S or the Habib Akbar types like in Great Britain ?
We have a lot of both. Are you talking about Middle Easterners or South Asians? They're different you know. We have a lot of Indians, Lebanese, Turkish as well as East Asians.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
You mean in the Western world? Honolulu probably does.

Hawaii is probably one of the few places in the United States (or possibly an Anglo settler country at all) where not only are those of east Asian descent numerous, but the communities are as deeply rooted in number of generations as white or black Americans.

As far as I can think of, elsewhere (even in other western nations) Asian immigration seems more new.
Well yeah I know Hawaii has an Asian majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.