Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:17 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,190,853 times

Advertisements

This bill will not pass because most Philippine government officials are from political dynasties themselves. But the OP also has to stop thinking that this is a cure all for the income inequality in the Philippines. For one, there are many who earned their wealth without anything to do with the Philippine government at all. Also, I wouldn't characterize every person who had parents or grandparents who are also government officials to be automatically bad. Yes, they generally are but there are some who are not so bad. IMHO, the problem with the Philippine government is it is just too big. It is highly inefficient. Do not know how it grew to be like that but it is a waste of resources and it is much easier to find a few good leaders rather than have so many positions who are now doing nothing aside from enriching themselves. Metro Manila has 17 mayors! Other large cities outside the Philippines have one! The Philippines is divided into 70+ provinces each with a governor and a whole list of provincial officials. And from time to time, some place want to be their own province so they can get more budget allocation and jobs from the national government without increasing their own contribution. In my opinion, it is much better to eliminate all these government positions and streamline the government operations. However, that is likewise not going to happen. As much as members of the Philippine Congress are not doing much except enriching themselves, they won't admit that and they will fight to make sure their positions are not eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 AM

162 posts, read 269,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
This bill will not pass because most Philippine government officials are from political dynasties themselves. But the OP also has to stop thinking that this is a cure all for the income inequality in the Philippines. For one, there are many who earned their wealth without anything to do with the Philippine government at all. Also, I wouldn't characterize every person who had parents or grandparents who are also government officials to be automatically bad. Yes, they generally are but there are some who are not so bad. IMHO, the problem with the Philippine government is it is just too big. It is highly inefficient. Do not know how it grew to be like that but it is a waste of resources and it is much easier to find a few good leaders rather than have so many positions who are now doing nothing aside from enriching themselves. Metro Manila has 17 mayors! Other large cities outside the Philippines have one! The Philippines is divided into 70+ provinces each with a governor and a whole list of provincial officials. And from time to time, some place want to be their own province so they can get more budget allocation and jobs from the national government without increasing their own contribution. In my opinion, it is much better to eliminate all these government positions and streamline the government operations. However, that is likewise not going to happen. As much as members of the Philippine Congress are not doing much except enriching themselves, they won't admit that and they will fight to make sure their positions are not eliminated.
Yes I really understand what you are saying. Not only does so many gov positions mean that there are too many leaders running different parts of the Philippines, but having so many officials (most of which support the current highly corrupt set-up) in the house, the senate and presidency ect means any bill like the anti-dynasty bill would have to push it's way through all these guys. But, it is pretty much the same as dragging a maggot through hundreds of red fire ants. It will never make it through. Anything the group wants to tackle down to nothing (such as a bill they don't like), they will manage to do it as efficiently as hundreds of fire ants vs one maggot.

If the Binay clan and/or the other groups that run in a similar way end up taking over the successive presidential posts in the coming years, I guess the Filipinos can kiss goodbye to any hopes for reasonable land reform. But yes, I have begun to understand actually in recent days that the gov clans were only one part of the inequality issue.

BUT, what I had thought that maybe if they magically got an antidynasty bill fully approved (which in reality turns out to be impossible now) then reform would be likely which could remove the grip of the oligarchs which only can rule like this in country that has such a corrupt gov.

But when you look around as you walk in Bonifacio and other elite areas, it becomes evident, even without political knowledge that the current situation is what is going to keep going. This city is growing in line with the progress of this crazy elite system.

I think it is actually safe to say that the Philippines is the only poor country that has such a posh elite district all because of this fraudulent system of exploitation and out of this world inequality. You have to go to Singapore or Beijing or hong Kong or Dubai to find districts to this scale. Without going down the corrupt path, no country gets this posh district until it is actually considered to be a rich country with a huge population. The design of the newest PH developments rivals pretty much any in Canada and matches those in only the richest parts of the USA. Most is already built with lots more already initiated and with no chance of turning back so they will not allow any change to the Phils has been running all this time.

I also wanted to make note of the poverty perception index. I have to say that it is so useless to actually determine the well being of a whole country because I see little to no correlation between its corruption rankings and the kind of country they actually are. Venezuela , Vietnam, Argentina, Indonesia are rockbottom compared to Phils on this index and even Mexico scored significantly lower, yet all of these countries either are doing quite reasonably, or are attracting huge foreign investment or both of these. All While Phils' corruption index on there is pretty modest despite the reality you see there.

Take note of the fact that they even omitted the slums that cover that whole area behind it. That is not a green forest park environment. It is a slum/very poor and densely crowded neighborhood that they seem embarrassed to include in the image rendition from the Phils to the world. Look on google earth where the SM Aura mall is built and you will see what the situation really is on the other side of that highway.

Last edited by Santaronto; 04-06-2014 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 AM

732 posts, read 772,685 times
^^^
OMG, im always passing this area everyday. Though they maybe disorganized, chaotic and rustic but I dont see them as slums nor extremely poor. Many of them could be richer than you.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:08 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,687,283 times
^ wow that's a pretty cool looking building, very creative

Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM

732 posts, read 772,685 times
^^
It looks good on render but exterior-wise I personally find it average-looking though it is considered high-end inside. I love its Skypark.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 AM

1,757 posts, read 8,088,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I was watching this video of Ferdinand Marcos

President F. Marcos speech (Ganito mag-deliver ng speech si Marcos. Walang binabasa) - YouTube
What a great welcome to a Filipino President. But lots of other country
look down on the Philippine Politics of today hmmm... wish there is cure.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
^^
It looks good on render but exterior-wise I personally find it average-looking though it is considered high-end inside. I love its Skypark.
I would say it is higher end than any in Canada. In Canada, they literally just build a structure that can house stores, but no structural enginuity that makes it a peice of art like they are doing with malls in the elite part of Manila. The newest mall in the Toronto area is as boring as could possibly be! This goes to show that even in a rich country like Canada, it takes a big source of money to get a mall put up that is awe inspiring, but never ends up happening. In the Philippines then, you realise just how much wealth is being sucked out from the masses so 0.1 percent of the population can enjoy shopping in style and class that exceeds Canadian standards.

It will be interesting for sure for me to enter the most upscale shopping district I've ever been in, later this year when I go. I will forget that I am in a poor country and that "impoverished country" comes up in articles about it. And the world is lead to believe that the Philippines 'needs' assistance for the typhoon stuff, when in reality all the money needed is shoved away in the bank accounts of the people that live next to these malls right there in the Phils.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:23 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,725,037 times
What universities in the Philippines do the "dynasty people" go to? Or do they go to American universities?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What universities in the Philippines do the "dynasty people" go to? Or do they go to American universities?
I don't know what ones they go to exactly, but I think it is easy to narrow down the aprox. location based on what I do know. Makati itself seems to have mostly homes and no institutions apart from the 2 public schools in the middle and the other place in the rich are you find institutions is in Bonifacio. In that part I think they indeed have several very high end ones. So my guess is they go to some that are in the new Bonifacio global city and you can see which ones on the website for this place.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,700,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaronto View Post
I don't know what ones they go to exactly, but I think it is easy to narrow down the aprox. location based on what I do know. Makati itself seems to have mostly homes and no institutions apart from the 2 public schools in the middle and the other place in the rich are you find institutions is in Bonifacio. In that part I think they indeed have several very high end ones. So my guess is they go to some that are in the new Bonifacio global city and you can see which ones on the website for this place.
you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The elite universities in the Philippines are Ateneo and De La Salle. One is in Quezon City, the other is in Manila. But a lot of wealthy Filipinos study overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia