Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times

Advertisements

Don't know about that, it could depend where you go I suppose, when i was travelling though Yunnan and Sichuan backpackers where pretty much the only western tourists I ran into. That was 8 years ago however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Don't know about that, it could depend where you go I suppose, when i was travelling though Yunnan and Sichuan backpackers where pretty much the only western tourists I ran into. That was 8 years ago however.
Yes Yunnan moreso than Shanghai, Beijing it seems.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:09 PM

318 posts, read 638,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's true, fair skin is the standard of beauty all throughout Asia, from the Middle East to Japan to Indonesia.
Since fair skin is the standard of beauty in Asia, does that mean they would find a super pale skin ginger haired White person to be attractive ?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Since fair skin is the standard of beauty in Asia, does that mean they would find a super pale skin ginger haired White person to be attractive ?
I don't think Chinese are particularly attracted to fair hair, though they may consider it exotic.
They like light skin for sure.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:28 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times
Being non tropical and strict on drugs are the reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
China is the 4th most visited country in the world with about 60 million visitors, yet, for some reason, it doesn't seem as visited by budget travellers/backpacker types as Thailand. Maybe it is, but I don't know, tourism there seems more urban-orientated as well to Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an etc. There seems even a sheepish trend to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (people who wouldn't have dreamed of visiting those places 15 years ago) but how come not as much China?

I would say the main exception being Yunnan province, which is sometimes part of the 'banana pancake trail.'

Maybe it's stereotypes about China, the comparative lack of warm clean beaches (well tourist beaches in Thailand are getting filthy), and I don't know, Western tourists to China seem to be more of a different market. Generally a bit more well-heeled, culture types, families, versus the hedonistic types who just go to the Full moon party or want to do cheap drugs in Vang Vieng.

While we're at it, Malaysia seems less popular among European backpackers as well for some reason. Given the fact it really isnt' much more expensive than Thailand, it's English speaking, has excellent nature, food.etc it makes me wonder. Malaysia still boasts respectable numbers, and would still have more than Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, but still lags behind Thailand a fair bit.

I think it's just like I said a sheeplike mentality with travelling and the fact that it's harder to be just hedonistic in those places. They're all great, don't get me wrong, but parts of them have been sort of ruined by tourists. Could say the same about parts of China, I suppose.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:36 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I once read that getting a China tourist visa (at least in the USA) is limited to 30 days and single entry. Not cool if you're a backpacker given it's size. Next to SE Asia, it's also not that cheap in the bigger more attractive cities, and the western part of the country doesn't seem so appealing for the average partying, beachhead.

Restricted social media also probably plays a part.
Yeah. Aren't tinder and basically all of social media apps blocked in China? Why vacations at a place where you can't find adventures and show off with updates?

Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 PM

185 posts, read 96,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I once read that getting a China tourist visa (at least in the USA) is limited to 30 days and single entry. Not cool if you're a backpacker given it's size. Next to SE Asia, it's also not that cheap in the bigger more attractive cities, and the western part of the country doesn't seem so appealing for the average partying, beachhead.

Restricted social media also probably plays a part.

I'm American and have a Chinese visa. It's good for ten years and ten years seem to be the standard for tourist VISAs.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:51 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
I'm American and have a Chinese visa. It's good for ten years and ten years seem to be the standard for tourist VISAs.
Seems like there is some confusion here related to visas.

The 10 year multiple entry visa is only available for the USA, UK, Argentina, Canada and Israel. There are different types, but the tourist one allows 60 days each time. For most backpackers I do not think this visa is very relevant.

For everyone else, backpackers from western countries should be able to get at least 60 days. I was able to get 90 days when I applied.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:30 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't think Chinese are particularly attracted to fair hair, though they may consider it exotic.
They like light skin for sure.
We have often been asked to have our photos taken in China with the locals. I am a freckled redhead and they find that interesting.

It is not easy travelling in China independently with the language issue. My sister was living in Shanghai and we went off to Harbin by ourselves. It was very difficult and I would recommend to anyone without Chinese to do some sort of a tour or have a guide. We actually missed out on too much.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We have often been asked to have our photos taken in China with the locals. I am a freckled redhead and they find that interesting.

It is not easy travelling in China independently with the language issue. My sister was living in Shanghai and we went off to Harbin by ourselves. It was very difficult and I would recommend to anyone without Chinese to do some sort of a tour or have a guide. We actually missed out on too much.
Yeah most Chinese older than 50 speak next to zero English. Younger ones usually understand some basic English, but cannot carry a conversation.

Nowadays there are some translation apps and they can be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia