Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 02:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 532,241 times

Advertisements

Canada did not send troops overseas in recent decades unlike the US, UK and Australia, avoided many controversies while still cooperating with the US. Canadians also have a reputation being less arrogant and behave better than their neighbors when they are in foreign countries. But Canada now has a bad relation with China because of some issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
US is the biggest troublemaker, in most people's eyes. It is because the US has the most influence and that's not always a good thing. Look at how Switzerland got rich by staying neutral. Look at how Canada can get some benefits of being the USA's top neighbor, while avoiding a lot of the risks.

Personally I wish the USA had a more mellow part in the world's politics. We don't really have the choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 07:31 PM

2,264 posts, read 978,995 times
The lesson of the Vietnam War was that the best decision the U.S. ever made there was to just holster its military-industrial messiah complex and go home. A vacation trip to Vietnam today will drive that lesson home.

Unfortunately it’s a lesson that hasn’t been learned yet. With any luck it will sink in before the U.S. triggers the war to end all war in the Middle East.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:58 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,909,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Canada did not send troops overseas in recent decades unlike the US, UK and Australia, avoided many controversies while still cooperating with the US. Canadians also have a reputation being less arrogant and behave better than their neighbors when they are in foreign countries. But Canada now has a bad relation with China because of some issues.
Canada sent troops to Afghanistan along with the US. Their snipers are quite good. In fact, they hold the records for 1st, 4th and 5th longest recorded sniper shots in history, all of them in Afghanistan.

The reputation is not as well deserved as I once thought, fro my experience in China, with the many expats in Guangdong. Canadian expats are as likely as, and in plenty of cases moreso than Americans to be obnoxious and entitled, but because of the stereotypes, any time a white foreigner is being loud or rude the instant assumption is that they are American. Conversely, I am frequently mistaken as Canadian because I'm polite and pleasant, since that's the stereotype.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,214,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Canada sent troops to Afghanistan along with the US. Their snipers are quite good. In fact, they hold the records for 1st, 4th and 5th longest recorded sniper shots in history, all of them in Afghanistan.

The reputation is not as well deserved as I once thought, fro my experience in China, with the many expats in Guangdong. Canadian expats are as likely as, and in plenty of cases moreso than Americans to be obnoxious and entitled, but because of the stereotypes, any time a white foreigner is being loud or rude the instant assumption is that they are American. Conversely, I am frequently mistaken as Canadian because I'm polite and pleasant, since that's the stereotype.
HAHA Funny and I would agree. Esp because most of the white people in Guangzhou are Canadian and not American or Brits, at least that's what it feels like.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:04 AM

5,123 posts, read 2,074,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
The lesson of the Vietnam War was that the best decision the U.S. ever made there was to just holster its military-industrial messiah complex and go home. A vacation trip to Vietnam today will drive that lesson home.

Unfortunately it’s a lesson that hasn’t been learned yet. With any luck it will sink in before the U.S. triggers the war to end all war in the Middle East.
Interesting to note then China also had a feud with Vietnam in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0Jc8CThb4

Old 12-07-2020, 08:22 AM

27,716 posts, read 28,837,641 times
The United States has been the top dog country in the world for a long time. That is why China and many other countries feel resentful about the United States.

Read "The Fox and the Grapes" from Aesop's fables. It explains all you need to know about this phenomenon.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:11 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,626,580 times
They have had the initiative to wage war since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991 and the subsequent economic collapse in 1995-1998 engineered by US advisors, and they have taken advantage of it. The Bush administration came out with the list of countries that they planned to invade. The passed two war authorizations in two years which gave them license to wage war indefinitely without public debate or legal authorization. The hubris was so great in those years that influential national security advisors and planners wrote mass market books on US plans to conquer the world, even resulting in a 4-hour special on C-Span explaining how they would do it and how the UN would be used to secure control of the countries after the invasion. The biggest flaw obviously is that there are not enough military forces to police these countries to secure control. So what we have left with in the aftermath is economies completely destroyed and massive refugee flows.

One need only look at how many countries were ravaged by terrorist groups sponsored by the US and its allies. Their main partners in Al Qaeda and ISIS were Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Qatar, and United Arab Emirates. Using terrorism to gain a foothold for a conventional military invasion is not unlike what was planned for Cuba with the Cuban exiles long ago. The initial invasion failed and the plan was aborted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia