Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

I've had Chinese desserts and they general are hardly sweet by western standards. Things like red beans that are not really associated with sweetness or desserts but savory dishes in the west.

Yet, by comparison, South Asian desserts are surprisingly sweet when I've had them.

Why such a big difference? Is it the crops/fruits/ingredients that are common? I know East Asia is colder and less tropical than South or Southeast Asia but that can't be the reason as many spices, fruits and other things like sugar cane seems prominent or easily traded between places. South Asian cuisine may use more dairy but dairy in and of itself isn't necessary for sweetness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Hmmm, maybe the easier availability of sugar sources, from palm, sugar cane, fruits? It might just be one of those random cultural things. Middle Eastern sweets are cloyingly sweet too, e.g. baklava and Turkish delight.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,013 times
Filipino desserts are sweet ( flan de leche, brazos de Mercedes, fruit salad in cream, napoleones, pastel de leche, yemas ), these desserts were influenced by the Spanish and American though.

Chinese, Vietnamese and thai desserts are bland to my liking as I have a sweet tooth.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Filipino desserts are sweet ( flan de leche, brazos de Mercedes, fruit salad in cream, napoleones, pastel de leche, yemas ), these desserts were influenced by the Spanish and American though.

Chinese, Vietnamese and thai desserts are bland to my liking as I have a sweet tooth.
What about Malaysian/Singaporen desserts? We have a lot of sweet things, and more variety. Cendol, Ice Kacang (with many variations including with ice cream), ice cream sandwiches from carts, sago in coconut milk and gula melaka, all manner of kuih, kuih dada is one of my favourite (like a green pandan crepe filled with dessicated coconut and caramelised sugar), pulit hitam, pineapple tarts, various Chinese and western influenced pastries.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 AM

For those who don't know what kuih (also known as kueh) is:

Kuih - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kuih Dada

Ice Kacang

Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
Try this one:

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...%3B1600%3B1200

Quote:

I am sure that Indonesia, India, Malaysia will quickly makes you tooth rots haha!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Try this one:

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...%3B1600%3B1200

I am sure that Indonesia, India, Malaysia will quickly makes you tooth rots haha!
I haven't tried Malaysian and Indonesian desserts yet. I would not hesitate to try any when I get a chance to.
Mango kulfi and Bibingka are okay.

I still think Western desserts are still much better... My favourites are Flan, Floating Island, Sex in a Pan.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For those who don't know what kuih (also known as kueh) is:

Kuih - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kuih Dada

Ice Kacang
Ice Kacang is very similar to Filipino native dessert Halo Halo.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Ice Kacang is very similar to Filipino native dessert Halo Halo.
There are many variations but this is the most common type you will see:

https://ipingger.wordpress.com/tag/ice-kacang/

Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I haven't tried Malaysian and Indonesian desserts yet. I would not hesitate to try any when I get a chance to.
Mango kulfi and Bibingka are okay.

I still think Western desserts are still much better... My favourites are Flan, Floating Island, Sex in a Pan.
They're different, western deserts have more butter, cream, richer, I enjoy both, depending on what I feel like.

Portuguese egg tarts are of course one of my favourites. Bengawan Solo in Singapore has some really nice cookies and cakes:

Welcome to Bengawan Solo

Good thing about SG is you can find almost every type of dessert. If you're craving western desserts there's likely somewhere you'll find it. Singaporeans are exposed to a diverse range of cuisines and enjoy it.

I don't know if you've been to Swenson's, I like it partly for nostalgic reasons. Gotta love those sundaes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia