Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,152 times

Advertisements

2 major tragedies in Asia in just a span of 5 weeks , MH370 and Korea ferry sinking.

Is this karma for mankind for all the evil we have done ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:48 PM

177 posts, read 269,061 times
I don't know how to respond to this.
Is this karma question coming from a religious perspective?
Otherwise it sounds insensitive towards the families who have lost loved ones in the tragedies.
My personal opinion. NO. They were just horrific accidents --although what caused the plane to divert so greatly from its planned route is still debatable-- made worse by human errors.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 PM

I am not coming from a religious perspective. For MH370 , perhaps it is entirely an unfortunate incident

but for the sewol, the no of dead could have been dramtically reduced if the captain and the crew have not been selfish and evil to abandon the passengers..

It is known that only 1 life raft was used, many were not used.. Those could have saved many people..

And as a result of the evil of the captain and crew.....

Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 PM

177 posts, read 269,061 times
Ok, I see what you mean.
I don't think the captain and the crew were evil per se, just incredible f-cktard cowards.
My heart breaks watching the poor parents reading the text messages from their children, although probably they are all beyond saving..

Let's hope karma exists and that the innocent kids are alive in the ship somewhere.

And about the plane... there have been talk in the US a while ago that it might have been a terrorist hijack.
At least, that is why I thought they are lending out their resources so willingly.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
To be fair, Asia doesn't have a stranglehold on transit accidents. The Costa Concordia disaster was a result of a captain's arrogance and hubris, and a few years ago a BC ferry sank north of Vancouver. The death tolls were much lower, though, due in part tothe standards of accountability that the crews have drilled into them. I dont know what the Korean standards are though I know that there is a more rigid "follow the orders of your seniors no matter what, always" social convention; for instance, the Asiana crash where the copilot didnt question their airspeed or rate and angle of approach. The training for a ship crew in the west states that in the event of a disaster, the crew should expect to operate separately from the captain and rely on their own training and judgement to save lives. If your last order was "stay put" and the ship starts to list and take on water then you assume that communications are down, the captain is incapacitated, or he's unaware of your situation and you get them above deck and if necessary, off the ship. When I worked on a ferry, this was our training.

It breaks my heart to think of those kids wondering why they were told to stay put as the water rose and they became trapped. Rest their poor souls...

Old 04-18-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Ok, I see what you mean.
I don't think the captain and the crew were evil per se, just incredible f-cktard cowards.
My heart breaks watching the poor parents reading the text messages from their children, although probably they are all beyond saving..

Let's hope karma exists and that the innocent kids are alive in the ship somewhere.

And about the plane... there have been talk in the US a while ago that it might have been a terrorist hijack.
At least, that is why I thought they are lending out their resources so willingly.
If the captain show remorse or etc after that, i may think he was just a coward, but he was still drying his money bills in the hospital !! That makes him a complete *******...

Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
To be fair, Asia doesn't have a stranglehold on transit accidents. The Costa Concordia disaster was a result of a captain's arrogance and hubris, and a few years ago a BC ferry sank north of Vancouver. The death tolls were much lower, though, due in part tothe standards of accountability that the crews have drilled into them. I dont know what the Korean standards are though I know that there is a more rigid "follow the orders of your seniors no matter what, always" social convention; for instance, the Asiana crash where the copilot didnt question their airspeed or rate and angle of approach. The training for a ship crew in the west states that in the event of a disaster, the crew should expect to operate separately from the captain and rely on their own training and judgement to save lives. If your last order was "stay put" and the ship starts to list and take on water then you assume that communications are down, the captain is incapacitated, or he's unaware of your situation and you get them above deck and if necessary, off the ship. When I worked on a ferry, this was our training.

It breaks my heart to think of those kids wondering why they were told to stay put as the water rose and they became trapped. Rest their poor souls...
hmm interesting..

Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
2 sad tragedies that both happened in Asia but there is no connection between them.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:26 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
'Karma'? Well what of the countless other disasters? Say the Indian Ocean tsunami, the Japanese earthquake/tsunami, or going back, the great Tangshan earthquake? Recently also the typhoon in the Philippines. And I'm just mentioning ones in Asia. Would you say all natural disasters or accidents are because of the evil we have done? Of course most of these victims are innocent anyway.

But they are certainly tragic occurrences, nonetheless...

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
That Korean ship crew didn't know what the hell they were doing....seriously, telling the passengers to just stay/lie down and don't move...wth? Check out the videos..

Ferry Disaster: Video Shot As Ship Capsized

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/16/world/...ship-students/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia