Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:16 PM

659 posts, read 941,061 times

Advertisements

to their country, but most of their grievances that I read about online were directed to Australians, UK, China, India, Filipinos, and Malaysians. There doesn't seem to be many expressing their distaste of Americans though.

Does Singapore dislike it when Americans move to their country and work there? I'm planning to move there with my husband in a few years and I'm worried by then they would have a very strict immigration policy in place because they consider the foreigners as "taking all their jobs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,516 times
Hi,

From a true blue Singaporean , probably Chinese, Indian , are the most "disliked ", mostly Caucasians and Americans won't face much issues. Actually whites face preferential treatment to a certain extent here.

Just be mindful not to tread on sensitive issues like race , religion, and criticise our public housing and transport you will do fine..

Welcome to Singapore !!!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,042,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post

Just be mindful not to tread on sensitive issues like race , religion, and criticise our public housing and transport you will do fine..

Welcome to Singapore !!!
Can't criticise public housing and transport?
What happened to freedom of speech?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Can't criticise public housing and transport?
What happened to freedom of speech?
Don't make the same mistake as Anton casey.

Anton Casey: Banker who sneered at 'stench of poor' loses job and flees Singapore - via economy class - Mirror Online

I guess it is like, we SIngaporeans can criticise ourselves, but we aren't too pleased when outsiders come and criticise what we do and our way of life.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:53 PM

10,112 posts, read 14,991,435 times
I once saw an interview where the leader of Singapore said that people have freedom of speech, but you can't say whatever you want. There are topics that are off limits.

It is what it is.

Actually, this is the interview I'm referring to:

From Singapore, an hour with Lee Kuan Yew, former Prime Minister of Singapore and author of 'From Third World to First : The Singapore Story: 1965-2000'

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I once saw an interview where the leader of Singapore said that people have freedom of speech, but you can't say whatever you want. There are topics that are off limits.

It is what it is.

Actually, this is the interview I'm referring to:

From Singapore, an hour with Lee Kuan Yew, former Prime Minister of Singapore and author of 'From Third World to First : The Singapore Story: 1965-2000'
Bingo !! To avoid being public enemy, just be respectful of the way and what we SIngaporeans do.. Even if it seems weird to you..

Netizens can be scary.. Some foreigners commented about the way we burn joss paper and got bashed online.

Of course you won't get into trouble with law for such things, but incur the warth of the general public

Old 02-15-2014, 07:08 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Most of the anti foreigner sentiment in Singapore is now directed at mainland Chinese immigrants. Because of the low birth rates in the local Chinese community the government has encouraged mainlanders to seek permanent residence in the country. This was done in part to offset concerns among the Chinese majority that the local Malay population, who have a higher birth rate, might compromise the Chinese majority population in the long term.

These new Chinese seem to be either very wealthy entrepreneur types who flaunt their money and drive up the cost of housing or low income people from the poorer provinces of China who appear to many to be rude, lacking in social skills and generally don't fit into Singapore society.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Most of the anti foreigner sentiment in Singapore is now directed at mainland Chinese immigrants. Because of the low birth rates in the local Chinese community the government has encouraged mainlanders to seek permanent residence in the country. This was done in part to offset concerns among the Chinese majority that the local Malay population, who have a higher birth rate, might compromise the Chinese majority population in the long term.

These new Chinese seem to be either very wealthy entrepreneur types who flaunt their money and drive up the cost of housing or low income people from the poorer provinces of China who appear to many to be rude, lacking in social skills and generally don't fit into Singapore society.
Actually anti foreigner sentiments here also apply to Indians from India too, find them rowdy and can be a threat to peace here .. The little India riot on dec 8 last year is the best example..

Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hi,

From a true blue Singaporean , probably Chinese, Indian , are the most "disliked ", mostly Caucasians and Americans won't face much issues. Actually whites face preferential treatment to a certain extent here.
that sounds very despicable.

If Singaporeans don't get "preferential treatment in Europe and America, I fail to see why they are so willingly give some treatment to Caucasians. This is very more pathetic considering most Singaporeans ARE Chinese.

So much for respect for this country.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,209,622 times
Singaporeans can be at times rather difficult to deal with, and let's just leave it at that. I would not suggest saying anything negative to a Singaporean person about Singapore (esp if you are a foreigner), nor would I criticize the government. If you want real advice, as an expat who's been living in Singapore for many years and they will tell you the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia