Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,206,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Well... in our case we created white collar jobs for Singapore since my company is American.
Our Asia office was previously located in Hong Kong, moved there since it made more sense financially.
It's weird that Singaporeans hate Caucasians for "taking away" their jobs when a whole bunch is created by companies such as mine.
Lots of jobs in Singapore are like that any way. International companies having their regional HQ there. If Singaporeans have really become as xenophobic as portrayed by the OP, then it makes sense to just move the HQ to Hong Kong.

I have a Taiwanese-American friend who recently moved from California to Singapore (still with the same American company). Haven't heard any complaints from her yet.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,829,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Lots of jobs in Singapore are like that any way. International companies having their regional HQ there. If Singaporeans have really become as xenophobic as portrayed by the OP, then it makes sense to just move the HQ to Hong Kong.

I have a Taiwanese-American friend who recently moved from California to Singapore (still with the same American company). Haven't heard any complaints from her yet.
We Singaporean show it in more subtle ways that does not affect work .. We wont show it obviously..

Why the deep displeasure at PAP ?

2 main issues

1) Too many foreigners..
2) High Ministerial salaries

until someone vandalised a HDB flat hurling abuse at PAP..

Dear TRS, someone vandalise the wall of a HDB flat with the comment "F**k the PAP" | The Real Singapore

Read the online comments from Netizens and ask yourself am i exaggerating

Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 PM

Janet Jia-Ee Chui · Top Commenter · Boss at Janet Chui Fantasy and Watercolour Art
Why should the PAP care? They're importing and inducting new citizens to gain more votes and stay in power. It's the people who keep voting them who need to give up on the delusion that the PAP can or wants to change. I pity the people who fell for the crocodile tears last time.
Reply · Like · 5 · 18 hours ago

Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 AM

The Postman where are you ?

You are the OP .....

Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 PM

8,504 posts, read 6,926,419 times
I think the bulk of the anti foreigner sentiment is directed mostly at the Mainland Chinese. Singapore has also had a generations long animus towards the Indian population.

It's also an unspoken policy of the PAP to keep a Chinese majority in play by encouraging overseas Chinese to immigrate and deflect any increase in the Malay population who have an overall higher birth rate than the Chinese.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,832,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I think the bulk of the anti foreigner sentiment is directed mostly at the Mainland Chinese. Singapore has also had a generations long animus towards the Indian population.

It's also an unspoken policy of the PAP to keep a Chinese majority in play by encouraging overseas Chinese to immigrate and deflect any increase in the Malay population who have an overall higher birth rate than the Chinese.
Singaporeans are Singaporeans, regardless of ethnicity. Chinese are Chinese, there are cultural differences.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

You think the white people are not hated ?? You don't know or forgot about Anton Casey then.. Go google about how he become Singapore's number 1 pick enemy and fled to Perth.. Just that so far the whites have not given us a strong excuse to hate them.. But we can still hate then for saying our public transportation stink..

Also recently PInoys from phillipines have also become the target of anti foreigner hate in Singapore Due to the scheduled phillipines day celebration in jun..

These are all the truth !!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I wont hate a Singaporean who works in an American company in Singapore.. But i wont like the causcasians here who take away our white collar jobs.

The people in Singapore office wont tell you cos they keep a professional relationship, and you are not a foreigner working in SIngapore currently.. But the truth is there... Ask Mr Postman, ... The other Singapore representative or the pinoy maids.. But i am still the born, bred, studied, working and living in Singapore Singaporean here... Who else better than me to talk about Singaporean sentiments ? Maybe Lepillow
The Postman do tell the members what the real sentiment of Singaporeans Are towards foreigners !!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:40 PM

326 posts, read 471,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Singapore: First World Economy, First World Costs, Third World Everything Else | The Real Singapore

An interesting read. I'm not really surprised by a lot of these stats: Singapore IS often prohibitively expensive for many, the income gap is large, the government is obsessed with an often ruthless business model based on a 'meritocracy' when in fact a lot of Singapore runs on foreigners earning third world pages. The 28% poverty level, if that includes foreigners, is not hard to believe. Also Singapore doesn't really seem to care about it's poor, elderly and disabled. Kind of sad, I hope Singapore can rectify this...maybe it's time for the PAP to move over?
The problems it faces is mainly due to how small the country is.. Every country has their rich area's (city centres) and their non-rich areas. (suburbs where houses are cheap and life less hectic). Singapore only has a rich area. poor/middle class people simply can't afford to live in the rich area. just look at most of London, where poor/middle class people live in tiny, crowded little flats. They can easily move out of London to Watford, and their purchasing power and quality of life would increase 10 fold. poor/middle class Singaporeans will never have that luxury due to the fact there's simply nowhere else to go because there's no more land.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 PM

8,504 posts, read 6,926,419 times
My goodness. I think some of the other posters views are extreme. We live within a global economy. People from all over the world who work in international companies are assigned and reassigned to places far from their homeland. Just because one foreign worker is bad news doesn't mean all foreign workers are bad. When I worked in Ohio one of our vice presidents was a Singaporean.

I think the anti Caucasian sentiments expressed are nonsense. I'm a white guy married to a Singapore citizen. I spend part of the year living in Yew Tee. I've never experienced the kind of negativity expressed by one of the other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.