Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times

Advertisements

Singapore: First World Economy, First World Costs, Third World Everything Else | The Real Singapore

An interesting read. I'm not really surprised by a lot of these stats: Singapore IS often prohibitively expensive for many, the income gap is large, the government is obsessed with an often ruthless business model based on a 'meritocracy' when in fact a lot of Singapore runs on foreigners earning third world pages. The 28% poverty level, if that includes foreigners, is not hard to believe. Also Singapore doesn't really seem to care about it's poor, elderly and disabled. Kind of sad, I hope Singapore can rectify this...maybe it's time for the PAP to move over?

Last edited by The Postman; 05-07-2014 at 01:58 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,829,071 times
Who else better than me or LEpillow to talk about this ??

But honestly , TRS is biased reporting.. If you know it..poverty isn't that bad in Singapore .. No homeless people around ..

But the the part about whether it is time for PAP to move ... Seems legit..

The blue party isn't strong and have that desire to form the next govt, partly they know if they become the next govt , doesn't mean SIngaporeans will love them ..

The next election is gonna be a turning point.. If PAP remains in power , locals are screwed, if WP gain control, I don't see locals giving them an easy time ..

If we end up with an even worst govt, then we have to live with it .. All about choices.

I have my 1 vote .. And will make a wise choice

Old 05-07-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Who else better than me or LEpillow to talk about this ??

But honestly , TRS is biased reporting.. If you know it..poverty isn't that bad in Singapore .. No homeless people around ..

But the the part about whether it is time for PAP to move ... Seems legit..

The blue party isn't strong and have that desire to form the next govt, partly they know if they become the next govt , doesn't mean SIngaporeans will love them ..

The next election is gonna be a turning point.. If PAP remains in power , locals are screwed, if WP gain control, I don't see locals giving them an easy time ..

If we end up with an even worst govt, then we have to live with it .. All about choices.

I have my 1 vote .. And will make a wise choice
Well yeah, I don't know how the situation really is. I have noticed fewer homeless ppl than I used to remember visiting as a kid in the 90s.

What's the chance of an upset and the PAP losing? More chance than a snowstorm in Singapore? lol

Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 AM

Yeah it is definitely more probale that PAP may lose power rather than a snowstorm may hit Singapore .

Honestly even LHL don't know the answer .. Next election will likely be sometime next year .. People have guessed it will be after the 50th National Day celebrations in Aug.. Riding on the feel good sentiments If any..

If PAP wants to win back the hearts of locals, the first thing they can do is to reject the phillipines day celebrations . That is what may sway my vote a little ..

LHL recenty never fails to Irk us Singaporeans.. We have barely gotten over the anger if him calling SIngaporeans a disgrace next he goes to days Singapore belongs to everyone .. Including PRs and New citizens ..

If you read online comments , we are all hailing the person who painted the graffiti on the HDB block a hero !!!

I guess this thread will end up just you and me commenting .. Ha ha..

I know you don't like it, but I must still add.. By a born, bred, studied , working and living in Singapore true blue Singaporean..

Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah it is definitely more probale that PAP may lose power rather than a snowstorm may hit Singapore .

Honestly even LHL don't know the answer .. Next election will likely be sometime next year .. People have guessed it will be after the 50th National Day celebrations in Aug.. Riding on the feel good sentiments If any..

If PAP wants to win back the hearts of locals, the first thing they can do is to reject the phillipines day celebrations . That is what may sway my vote a little ..

LHL recenty never fails to Irk us Singaporeans.. We have barely gotten over the anger if him calling SIngaporeans a disgrace next he goes to days Singapore belongs to everyone .. Including PRs and New citizens ..

If you read online comments , we are all hailing the person who painted the graffiti on the HDB block a hero !!!

I guess this thread will end up just you and me commenting .. Ha ha..

I know you don't like it, but I must still add.. By a born, bred, studied , working and living in Singapore true blue Singaporean..
When is the election? Yes, it will be interesting to at least see how much ground the opposition gains.

I think the Philippines thing is minor...distracts from the real, big issues.

But I suppose anything to reassure Singaporeans that they really put Singaporeans first, and that being a citizen of the Lion City affords them certain privileges, as any other country.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When is the election? Yes, it will be interesting to at least see how much ground the opposition gains.

I think the Philippines thing is minor...distracts from the real, big issues.

But I suppose anything to reassure Singaporeans that they really put Singaporeans first, and that being a citizen of the Lion City affords them certain privileges, as any other country.
The exact date is in LHL mind , but locals are guessing it will be around late aug 2015 after the 50th national day celebrations ..

Don't be surprised if PAP loses power !!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
The exact date is in LHL mind , but locals are guessing it will be around late aug 2015 after the 50th national day celebrations ..

Don't be surprised if PAP loses power !!
It seems unimaginable at this stage. How prepared is the opposition to run government, and to run the country?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems unimaginable at this stage. How prepared is the opposition to run government, and to run the country?
Sometimes I cannot understand locals, the anti govt sentiment is so strong, yet they think PAP can still remain in power ..

How prepared the opposition is to run govt,
Honestly locals dun care .. As long as opposition puts anybody out to contest, it is a good chance..

We just want the whites out !!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Sometimes I cannot understand locals, the anti govt sentiment is so strong, yet they think PAP can still remain in power ..

How prepared the opposition is to run govt,
Honestly locals dun care .. As long as opposition puts anybody out to contest, it is a good chance..

We just want the whites out !!
What do you mean by that?

Of course, but it's a bit like a child who hates his parents. He still realises he cannot survive without them.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 AM

PAP = white party ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.