Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:22 AM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times

Advertisements

It's been some years now that farangs have been quitting Thailand for other parts. I met close on a dozen (at least) when in Cambodia who had moved over. That was a number of years ago, so can only assume visa changes and Thai attitudes towards foreigners hardening have increased the number. Cambodia, of course had a far easier immigration policy without the need to leave the country in order to get a permit. Laos had a smaller following and wonder if grown since last there in 07?
I'm quite a fan of Malaysia. They have a pretty decent visa that allows residence for retirees and a very decent health system as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 10:23 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
It's been some years now that farangs have been quitting Thailand for other parts. I met close on a dozen (at least) when in Cambodia who had moved over. That was a number of years ago, so can only assume visa changes and Thai attitudes towards foreigners hardening have increased the number. Cambodia, of course had a far easier immigration policy without the need to leave the country in order to get a permit. Laos had a smaller following and wonder if grown since last there in 07?
I'm quite a fan of Malaysia. They have a pretty decent visa that allows residence for retirees and a very decent health system as well.
That is an accurate summary. Cambodia has always been the easiest alternative for those wanting or needing to leave Thailand. Chinese influences are making it less attractive than it already was, but have met a number of expats calling it home, for years. Vietnam has become much more popular, lately. Laos tourism has increased some, but there might be fewer expats there, than even Myanmar.
They get a stream of backpackers and others only there to take care of Thai visa issues in Savanaket or Vientiane. That number has been shrinking. It will be interesting to see what happens around Nong Khai, when the trains are connected.

Malaysia are probably the best neighbors and kind of on the smart side. They are becoming a better upmarket alternative and are lowering the minimum amount foreigners have to spend to buy a home from 250k US to 150k US. Some visa hurdles, too.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se...-estate-bubble

Last edited by Hal Roach; 12-22-2019 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-25-2019, 07:50 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
There are unreasonable and unneeded problems for farangs living in Thailand. For example:

Depending on which immigration official you talk to, the "rules" seem to change all the time.

I hear it is changing or about to change, but why was it necessary for me to take a burdensome trip to the immigration office every 3 months to fill out a form, have them stamp it, toss it in a box never to be seen again, which they couldn't have found if they tried. I don't mind jumping through hoops if they're needed hoops.

And then there was the recent thing that if you took a 3 day trip upcountry, your landlord had to reprocess your paperwork even though your actual residence hadn't changed. Dumb as dung.

You have to carry your passport with you at all time. No you don't. Yes you do. No you don't. Yes you do.

It's this kind of crapola that is unnecessary.

And that's for the farangs -- like me -- who were in the country long term on a legal visa.

As far as the border hoppers and sex tourists, I had little sympathy for them.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:45 AM

I just did my 90 days report on the Thai immigration app for Android..got approval in forty minutes..but yeah, TM30 has been problematic for many. My Thai health policy was 900 USD for the upcoming year, now required by Immigration.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:36 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Thai ppl revere the King. He is like a Demi God over there
That doesn't really apply to the current Thai monarch, who is not all that well regarded by his countryman, unfortunately. He wasn't very popular as a crown prince, and that has carried over today.

He still spends a lot of time in Germany, for one.

He has a wife and a mistress and is pretty open about it.

He's also meddled a lot in military affairs, such as trying to influence what generals get promoted - and that complicates politics a lot, because the military is pretty influential in (civilian) politics in Thailand.

But of course, lese majeste laws still apply in Thailand, so you won't hear public criticism in country.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:03 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
I think he just dismissed his mistress because of some palace intrigue she was involved in. Believe the young lady also held the rank of General in the Thai military and she was also stripped (pun intended) of that rank.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I just did my 90 days report on the Thai immigration app for Android..got approval in forty minutes..but yeah, TM30 has been problematic for many. My Thai health policy was 900 USD for the upcoming year, now required by Immigration.
Just out of curiosity, what if you were like me -- as a retiree I have a gold plate health insurance policy through my former employer. When I lived in Thailand it worked through reimbursement to me after I paid for services. Would I still have to have the Thai policy?

Old 12-26-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That doesn't really apply to the current Thai monarch, who is not all that well regarded by his countryman, unfortunately. He wasn't very popular as a crown prince, and that has carried over today.

He still spends a lot of time in Germany, for one.

He has a wife and a mistress and is pretty open about it.

He's also meddled a lot in military affairs, such as trying to influence what generals get promoted - and that complicates politics a lot, because the military is pretty influential in (civilian) politics in Thailand.

But of course, lese majeste laws still apply in Thailand, so you won't hear public criticism in country.
At one time didn't he make his dog a general or something like that?

Old 12-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just out of curiosity, what if you were like me -- as a retiree I have a gold plate health insurance policy through my former employer. When I lived in Thailand it worked through reimbursement to me after I paid for services. Would I still have to have the Thai policy?
Yes.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:11 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Several YouTube channels have already reported that cities like Chiang Mai, which is normally fairly busy year round, has been described as a ghost town during the offseason this year. Thai officials can't have their cake and eat it too.

No Farangs - No Thai Bhat. They'll eventually figure this out. Simply put there are way too many Thais that rely on foreign dollars to make a living. Give it a year and I'll bet much of these nitpicky requirements will fall by the wayside. I'm sure the Thai officials are tired of the Cheap Charlies and sex pats. Really can't blame them for this. Really it's the ultimate Catch 22. What's a government to do? Keep the local business owners happy or keep the upper crust Bangkok elite happy knowing the lower echelon expats are gone? Can't have both. I predict in the long run, the tourist dollar wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGroxUntIaA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia