Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Sorry to hear about your student, such a loss.
Guns should be banned everywhere, period.
In the US, unreported cases are much more than you expect.
I recall a few years ago a female Chinese student at Stanford went missing. Later she was found dead in a car trunk, with hands tied up. You guess what? The police said she committed suicide and closed the case.

Just last year, another Chinese Canadian girl was found dead in a water tank on the top of a hotel building in LA. The police said she committed suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Just last year, another Chinese Canadian girl was found dead in a water tank on the top of a hotel building in LA. The police said she committed suicide.
yeah, that was pretty genius. A girl made all the way to the top of a skyscraper, managed to find the dirty water tank, somehow opened its heavy cover, jumped into the water to drown herself to death what an elaborate way to suicide.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yeah, that was pretty genius. A girl made all the way to the top of a skyscraper, managed to find the dirty water tank, somehow opened its heavy cover, jumped into the water to drown herself to death what an elaborate way to suicide.
The youtube video shows she was followed by someone and she knew it. It was gross.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The US is generally safe in the countryside, suburbs and small towns, but its major cities have a lot of crimes. Cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington DC, not to mention Detroit, New Orleans have 10 times more violent crimes than other western countries such as Europe and Canada. I used to have a student in the US who suddenly stopped showing up in class and a week later, it was discovered he was shot in downtown LA. I attended his memorial myself. 20 years old with great personality. No one knows what exactly happened.
It depends on the city as well. Cities like Austin, San Jose, San Diego are quite safe even though they are quite big.

Also, there are differences between European cities. For instance Paris there is a lot of robberies.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I lived in London for 4 years and have been to Paris several times. the pollution is much worse in Shanghai, and London and Paris have a tonne of different things to do, unlike Shanghai.

I have also lived in Seoul for 1 year and have been to every capital city in east Asia except Jakarta, as stated I would rank it close to the most disappointing place I have been to.
Yes the day's of London's 'pea soupers' are long over, but like any large city there is pollution in the air even if you can't see it. And yes, as a tourist destination London just has way more to see and do than Shanghai.

Seoul the most disappointing? Why is that?

Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Even on a bad day in LA - which has worse smog than London, Paris, or NYC - I could see from my rooftop in Beverly Hills all the way to the skyscrapers in Downtown LA, which was about ten miles.

On a bad day in Guangzhou, I can't see the IFC tower, which is about a kilometer from my apartment. It's not uncommon that I can't see the Canton Tower which is another couple kilometers or so away further and lit up.

The first time I flew into Shanghai, I couldn't see the terminal from my window when we landed and couldn't see terminal 1 from terminal 2 after I got off.

Let's not sugarcoat it, Shanghai's pollution is legendary.

To answer your original question though, I think Shanghai is already a fairly major tourist destination. Ten years ago, if you said "China" the first city that popped into mind was Beijing, with images of pandas and people wearing army fatigues and riding bikes, now it's Shanghai, with images of expensive cars and women in pencil skirts and diamonds. It's long held a place in the Western psyche and is known to be a cosmopolitan city with great nightlife. I knew more people in the US who had been to Shanghai than anywhere else in China; same with most of the people I met from Europe or Australia.
Yep, Beijing, Tianjin and Chongqing were terrible, I could look at the sun on a clear day - in fact clear days often looked cloudly, and sometimes it looked like a constant haze. Lots of people wearing masks. In Chongqing we were told not to stay out for more than 30 minutes (especially since we weren't used to it), not that we really wanted to. It was mainly just a place to board the ferry down the mighty Yangtze.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
^Because nobody is allowed to criticize Shanghai in OP's book.

Btw I do doubt that list of annual tourists number,there's no way that Taipei is ranked higher than Beijing.Taipei doesn't reallly have that many things to offer for tourists and it's by no means an economic center either.Not to mention how ridiculously inconvenient it is for tourists to get into town from our ugly and poorly-managed airport.
I have never been to Beijing but despite the notorious air pollution and the disgusting big ass portrait of Mao,it seems like a fascinating tourists destination.I don't have to name many,just the Forbidden city is more worth seeing than the entire Taipei imo.
I find it hard to believe, but don't short-sell your city. While it might lack the long history of Beijing, Taipei has a lot to offer. From the vibrant urban life, street food/food in general, and tons of interesting places nearby to see, from mountains and hotsprings at Wulai, Keelung, old railway towns at Yingge/Pingxi, taking the gondolas up to the tea plantations at Maokong and admiring the view, a seaside type town at Tamsui/Danshui, the HSR even makes day trips farther afield possible...Taiwan as a whole actually offers a lot more something into nature. We didn't find it inconvenient at all to get from the airport to the city. Just a straight shuttle bus.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Taipei and especially Riyadh higher than Beijing? That's a big surprise. Beijing is one of China's tourist showpieces.
Pretty simple either Jeddah or Riyadh are the gateway to Mecca.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Pretty simple either Jeddah or Riyadh are the gateway to Mecca.
Oh yeah that would explain it.

But Taipei seems a bit odd. Maybe it includes business trips, stopovers...

Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the day's of London's 'pea soupers' are long over, but like any large city there is pollution in the air even if you can't see it. And yes, as a tourist destination London just has way more to see and do than Shanghai.

Seoul the most disappointing? Why is that?
I meant to refer to shanghai as being the disappointing city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia